Skip to content

Quayle

13»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Mungri said:

But if he had more wisdom he would be even more incredible.

Compared to other BG1 divine spellcasters, he misses out on two Level 1 spells and two Level 2 spells... that's it. Because no one goes beyond 16 Wisdom. Yeah, the clerics and druids in BG1 suck balls, as far as spellcasting goes.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2012
    Quayle rhymes with frail. I reload a lot after him dying again, but if i manage to keep him alive, I find him a very useful support caster.

*edit: Quayle is useful, not usefull (right?).
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Quayle rhymes with frail? I normally pronounce Quayle - Kway-lee not Qwhale ... is there even a right or wrong way?
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I'm pretty sure its 'Qwhale' because that's how Aerie pronounces it when you save them in BG2.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2012
    I wrote something here and instantly realised on posting that it was patent nonsense. Sorry.
    Mungri said:

I'm pretty sure its 'Qwhale' because that's how Aerie pronounces it when you save them in BG2.

...like the egg?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Mungri said:

...like the egg?
    I think you mean the bird that lays the egg, but yes.

Which came first, the Quayle or the egg?
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    Mungri said:

Doh, Tutu sucks pretty badly then. Gimmeh BGEE now!

I wonder whether the Tutu min requirement change is due to using the BG2 engine though? I need to reinstall BG2 to find out.

Yes I was right, on a fresh install of BG2 SOA, min dex for a gnome Cleric / Illusionist is 3. Its not a problem with Tutu, its the BG2 engine that changes it. Since BGEE will be using the BG2 engine, cleric / illusionists likely wont get their min dex stat fixed.

I assume that's a bug in the BG2 engine? (Does anyone know? Would a gnome cleric/illusionist have a minimum dex of 16 in PnP?) Maybe we should post this in the bugs forum?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Turin said:

I assume that's a bug in the BG2 engine? (Does anyone know? Would a gnome cleric/illusionist have a minimum dex of 16 in PnP?) Maybe we should post this in the bugs forum?

Yes they would. Illusionists have a minimum requirement of 16 Dex to be an Illusionist, much like the Necromancers requirement of of 16 Wisdom which is why Xzar is a good dual-class candidate (once he's eaten a tome anyway).
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Although dual classing a Necromancer at level 6 or 7 seems like a waste of a mage, it hardly matters when you also have Edwin.
    Mungri said:

Although dual classing a Necromancer at level 6 or 7 seems like a waste of a mage, it hardly matters when you also have Edwin.

Waste of a Mage in BG2 perhaps ... but not BG1. Especially since that's where Xzar's contribution ends.
    Dual-classing Xzar ... Level 6 Necromancer Level 8 Cleric. It's badass.
    Turin said:

Mungri said:

Doh, Tutu sucks pretty badly then. Gimmeh BGEE now!

I wonder whether the Tutu min requirement change is due to using the BG2 engine though? I need to reinstall BG2 to find out.

Yes I was right, on a fresh install of BG2 SOA, min dex for a gnome Cleric / Illusionist is 3. Its not a problem with Tutu, its the BG2 engine that changes it. Since BGEE will be using the BG2 engine, cleric / illusionists likely wont get their min dex stat fixed.

Yeah, BG2 engine issue.
    UPDATED FIRST POST LAWL! discuss!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Quartz said:

UPDATED FIRST POST LAWL! discuss!

I always liked Quayle. These modifications merely add minor improvements to what is a solid character.
    Yah. He is quite powerful ... and a colorful character at that. The 6 Charisma really shines through. Who can forget lines like "Shake a paw, c'mon, shake a paw!" and "Deciduous, coniferous, and uhh ... green."
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    He is great. I just had him in my last (and successful) no-reload run and the versatility of his class is impressive. I am tempted to say his main drawback is an abyssimal WIS which hampers his spell slots (lvl.3 and 4 in particular) but then... he already has all his entire arcane spellbook to work with.

His quick slot Invisibility is also very handy and it nicely compensates for his very low CON which in my game resulted in very low HP total (27HP by end game...).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Bhaaldog said:

Depending on how you play i.e. a no reload run for BG EE only, you could always pump his wisdom up with the tomes...

Could have. But my PC was a Gnomish Cleric with a starting WIS of 17, so I used all 3 tomes on him. This was the run: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12581/the-no-reload-challenge-spoiler-warning/p6
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited January 2013
    Brude said:

Similarly I would change Coran to a legal 19 dex elven Archer kit.

Sigh.

That would shift an already effective NPC Into being vastly overpowered, as well as rob good-alignd parties of their best (only?) multi class fighter/thief.

His 20 DEX does nothing for his ranged thac0 or AC, btw (it's the same bonus at 19 and 20). All it does is give a slight boost to some of his thieving abilities.

Not to mention that he would be far more useless without his thieving skills.

These kind of bonus are what make the BG1 characters so special, since they have not dialogues/quests/plots
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited January 2013
    I'll wait for NPC1 Project or Sword Coast Stratagems to get updated to BGEE-compatibility, so Quayle can get moved to a more convenient location again.

So you can pick him up at the Nashkel Carnival