Skip to content

Games You Would Recommend

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    If you're into Star Wars then Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
    I really liked that one. Haven't played the sequel yet though.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Wilbur said:

You should enjoy the sequel if you liked the first one. I don't think it is quite as good but it is worth your time and is pretty cheap now.
    Wilbur
    AHF said:

Wilbur said:

You should enjoy the sequel if you liked the first one. I don't think it is quite as good but it is worth your time and is pretty cheap now.
    Yeah I'll definitely play the sequel at some point. I've read some reviews about it and I like the idea that the choises you have to make are often anything but black and white.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Don't forget to download and install the Restored Content Mod and perhaps also the M4-78 EP mod.
    Wilbur

Don't forget to download and install the Restored Content Mod and perhaps also the M4-78 EP mod.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    @Anton that looks epic EEPPPIIIICCCC!
    Anton
  • HesseHesse Member Posts: 27
    "And make the world a better place..............................for you" *evil smile*
    The game looks good
    @Anton

I haven't heard of this one, but it looks awesome!
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Wilbur @Hesse @Chaotic_Good
    It sure does!
    It's been in development for a long time and almost finished..
    You can vote for it on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93102452
    Wilbur
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    league of legends its free and online
    signup link
    http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=50f4876eb0b71310464872
    Teflon
  • Key_StrokesKey_Strokes Member Posts: 36
    I don't want to delve too deeply into the standard litany of classic RPGs, but Arcanum and Planescape: Torment are must-plays. Seriously.
    Teflon
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Neverwinter Nights!
    Teflon

Neverwinter Nights!

I tried to start playing it a couple of times, but just didn't like the feeling of playing with only one character. That's why I never play solo in BG either.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Wilbur said:

Neverwinter Nights!

I tried to start playing it a couple of times, but just didn't like the feeling of playing with only one character. That's why I never play solo in BG either.
    I suppose you can pick up a merc, but I feel the same way. I also thought both NWN games were really boring.

edited January 2013
    I think everyone who played or still plays nwn shares your view quite a bit. I also like the way we can play the infinity games over NWN in terms of handling multiple characters;)
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Someone on this board some time ago summarized rather well what NWN was all about. I don't remember whom or in which thread, but he or she basically said that we should look upon NWN not as a game with a toolset but rather as a toolset with a game. I think that's quite a good point and one that reflects the developers' intentions behind the game. From that perspective I must say that NWN was immensely successful.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited January 2013
    All of mine have been said I am sure, and they are fairly well known but I'll throw them in here just to remind everyone.
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 5 (the others aren't bad but I really dig these two)
    Elder Scrolls (haven't played any but 4 and 5 but I would like to at some point)
    Jedi Academy (and all of the others in the Katarn games, but this one is my favorite)
    LotR War in the North
    Icewind Dale
    Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (though as I don't really enjoy super crazy high level play, the expansions Hordes of the Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer were not for me, just like Throne of Bhaal)
    Diablo I, II, and IIi
    Warcraft III ( I don't like WoW, but I LOVE THIS GAME)
    Fallout (any except Brotherhood of Steel are amazing IMO)
    Dragon's Dogma
    Fable 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    And of course
    Kingdom Hearts (all of them I really enjoy so far)

Edit: Crap forgot a few:
    E.V.O Search for Eden
    Total Annihilation: Kingdoms
    Heroes Chronicles (companion/expansion to Heroes of Might and Magic 3)
    And all of them Pokemon games
    @toanwrath

If you liked Oblivion and Skyrim, you should really try Morrowind. IMO it's the best game of the series if you can just get past the different combat system. The game also has an insane amount of high quality mods.
    Wilbur said:

@toanwrath

If you liked Oblivion and Skyrim, you should really try Morrowind. IMO it's the best game of the series if you can just get past the different combat system. The game also has an insane amount of high quality mods.

It really isn't.

Not since Skyrim came out.

It has the best "storylines" certainly but the game play in Morrowind is horrifically bad especially when compared to Skyrim even before mods.

Pure game play wise Skyrim is the best TES. And storyline wise it is only ever so slightly below Morrowind. Both are vastly better in every sense than Oblivion however lol.
    Aristillius
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2013

It really isn't.

It has the best "storylines" certainly but the game play in Morrowind is horrifically bad especially when compared to Skyrim even before mods.

Pure game play wise Skyrim is the best TES. And storyline wise it is only ever so slightly below Morrowind. Both are vastly better in every sense than Oblivion however lol.

Have to disagree. I also say Morrowind is the best in the series, especially with mods. First off, Morrowind was built for PC's, so the UI, controls, etc. are optimized accordingly. Second, the atmosphere and environments are much more diverse and interesting, whereas Skyrim gives you the choice of snow and...more snow. It also delivered a much more rich and personal experience, with the absence of conveniences like fast travel. And lastly, the ultimate reason why I believe Morrowind is the best in the series, is because after all these years, Morrowind is the only Elder Scrolls game that was able to keep my interest enough to play for hundreds and hundreds of hours.
    WilburChaotic_Good
  • AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2013
    Age of Wonders: shadow magic, probably the best turn based fantasy strategy I've ever played and one of the most overlooked gems. It is simply an awesome strategy game with excellent aesthetics. It's old but it's one you shouldn't miss if you're a fan of fantasy games. It does have some cheesy intro movies though.

FTL is worth the $ if you like roguelikes

The new crop of F2P is actually pretty good. Warframe, Planetside 2, DoTA 2, Hawken are all worth a try.

If you really really can't get enough of turn based fantasy games then Battle for Wesnoth is an old open source one, pretty fun but gets a tad repetitive/rng. Has some excellent user made campaigns as well. If you have more time than money it's a good game.
    James

Wilbur said:

@toanwrath

It really isn't.

I first played Skyrim and it was ok, but there was nothing special about it. Then I got Oblivion for PS3 and it was way better than Skyrim for me. Then I decided to try Morrowind and there's just something about that game that grew on me. For me Oblivion and Morrowind are almost equally good and I'm having a hard time saying which one is better, but If I had to choose on game from the series it would be Morrowind.

Chaotic_Good
    edited January 2013
    I forgot to say that the first Medal of honor game was very very cool and the pacific assault one too. That had some intense moments of jungle battles and is very difficult in SP. And most todays hardware should handle MoHPa, it´s beautifull crafted. The pearl harbor level is unreached in terms of epicness imo....
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    H0RSE said:

It really isn't.

Have to disagree. I also say Morrowind is the best in the series, especially with mods. First off, Morrowind was built for PC's, so the UI, controls, etc. are optimized accordingly. Second, the atmosphere and environments are much more diverse and interesting, whereas Skyrim gives you the choice of snow and...more snow. It also delivered a much more rich and personal experience, with the absence of conveniences like fast travel. And lastly, the ultimate reason why I believe Morrowind is the best in the series, is because after all these years, Morrowind is the only Elder Scrolls game that was able to keep my interest enough to play for hundreds and hundreds of hours.
    Hmmm well I played Oblivion on PC and Skyrim on 360, and I have to say I prefer 360 in terms of my TES experience. Skyrim has much more than just snow, especially with the most recent add-on. I can understand not wanting fast travel, but I thoroughly enjoy it (we even have it in Baldur's Gate!). I'm glad that Morrowind still keeps people interested, I know Skyrim has done the same for me.
    Also, the gameplay and storyline for Skyrim are much more enjoyable than Oblivion IMO, and the gameplay would be missed if I tried Morrowind.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2013

Pure game play wise Skyrim is the best TES.

I'm not even sure if this accurate, since you are comparing games from different eras. Morrowind was released in 2002, so Skyrim has a decade on it in terms of tech and gameplay possibilities. I guess for your statement to be accurate, you'd have to asses Morrowinds gameplay and judge it based on how it plays "for its time," then compare it to how Skyrim plays for its time.

Hell, in 2002, PC games still had a wide selection available at Gamestop, and "hybrid development" (designing games to be friendly on both PC and console, or "consolizing" PC games) was extremely rare if present at all. Morrowind was a PC game, developed in a time when PC games were designed for the PC, played like a PC game, and took advantage of the strengths the PC offered, without having to worry about "system parity" - the same cannot be said for Skyrim.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    In Skyrim The combat system/Interface is rubbish, oblivion had the best combat the only bad thing about it was hammers didn't stagger as they should. Morrowinds combat was the weakest, but the combat wasn't what made Morrowind special it was the ambiance the environments were mind twisting and with the availability of flight added new dimensions on such a grand scale that we have not and may never see again.The type of painstaking effort put into a game like Morrowind is what separates a game from a work of art. The only game in recent years I have seen come close to that level of beauty was Dark Souls.

Edit: If I remember right Morrowind also had a ton more spells, weapons, factions, and quests prolly more than the last two put together.
    Wilbur
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Robert E. Lee: Civil War Generals, Age of Mythology, Symphony, Rollercoaster Tycoon(original) and Rome: Total War.

http://www.totalwar.com/en_us/rome2 <- d(^_^)b

I'd also recommend Caesar III but I've only played the demo that came with Lords of Magic: SE. Still both are a lot of fun.

GOG has been both a blessing and curse to me -.-
    edited January 2013
    It is one of those subjective things of course.

For me Skyrim is "the best" of the TES games cos for me it is the most fun to play. The universe might not be as unique as in MW, and the storyline/characters/quests might not be as engaging as in MW but overall the game is more balanced and more especially with mods to fix the more egregious problems.

Modding does not fix all of Morrowinds problems sadly. Whereas both Oblivion and now Skyrim can almost be completely changed from the ground up with mods.

It's like this.

Setting/Storyline
    1: Morrowind
    2: Shivering Isles
    3: Skyrim
    4: MW Expansion Areas
    5: Oblivion

Gameplay
    1: Skyrim
    2: Oblivion/Shivering Isles
    3: Morrowind/MW Expansions

So for me overall Skyrim pips Morrowind as "the better" game. Note I am not saying it is perfect or doesn't need to improve in many areas. Just that overall taking into consideration its good points and its flaws and comparing to Morrowind's good points and flaws that Skyrim comes out ahead IMO.
    Both games however leave Oblivion in the dust. The Shivering Isles is what saved/saves Oblivion from being consigned to the "terrible game" bin IMO.

That isn't to say I wouldn't recommend Morrowind or Oblivion either. I totally would especially on PC modded.
    I just dispute the assertion by some that it was this awesome perfectly amazing game that reached a standard in gaming that will never again be reached. It was NEVER that good even when it first came out.

EDIT:
    In my opinion, and back on topic lol, there are a couple of games aside from TES that i would recommend... With caveats.

Lords of Magic SE
    Lords of Magic SE is a good game set in an interesting universe that had a lot of potential that was almost realised with the Special Edition. I recommend it because it is fun but in a massively punishing challenging way. This game is a bit like FTL in that it will kick your backside the moment you make a mistake.

Neverwinter Nights 1
    Neverwinter Nights 1. Typically classic BW RPG. The controls are clunky and the UI kind of sucks in this game but if you can get used to the controls and UI, then you can play a game that is fun and rewarding. The OC isn't up to Bioware's usual standard but it is better than ME3s ending and isn't anywhere near as bad as folk make out. I do agree with everyone else though that the expansions are where NWN1 really shines. Buy it as long as you don't mind pretty much playing a solo adventure.

Neverwinter Nights 2
    Neverwinter Nights 2. A typical Obsidian sequel. Big ambitions and ran out of time to deliver on them sadly. The controls and UI take getting used to but are better than NWN1s. And unlike it's predecessor it actually has party mechanics. The NPCs are all pretty interesting and fun. And the OC storyline is alright, better than NWN1s OC. But as with NWN1 the expansions are where this game really shines. Buy this game, it is totally worth persevering with. If you ignore the OC ending.

Sword of the Stars 2
    Sword of the Stars 2. It is FINALLY in a playable state and boy was it worth waiting for. Fun engaging, and an all round good game. It doesn't measure up to MOO2 and GC2 but no game in the Space 4X genre has managed to ever. Definately worth giving a shot now, if you like Space 4x games and can get used to a UI that is clunkier than its predecessors (how they managed that I don't know).

KotOR 2
    Knights of the Old Republic 2. Obsidians most famous Sequel fuckup. A game that like NWN2 was full of ambition and awesome ideas that just didn't get the time to get finished which resulted in the disaster of a game that we all know and love.
    Fortunately the TSLRCM is out which makes this game what it should have been. Better than KotOR 1. No caveats here, buy it, download it, play it. Now.
    Post edited by ScotGaymer on
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I think comparing TES games fits the phrase "Apples and Oranges" pretty well, there hasn't been any major changes in the formula throughout, I think it mostly comes down to which setting you have the most affinity for.

Because really, wherever each installment happens to be set is really the star of the game.
    Wilbur