Skip to content

Add BG2 and ToB Items/Creatures to BGEE

Figure it would maybe make for some great mods for BGEE in the future.

I noticed that the items aren't in the game as I have tried their codes. Is this even possible to add to BGEE?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    There are some things in BG2 that I think would work well in BG1, but you would have to be careful; the vast majority of content in BG2 is designed for much higher levels. Anything from ToB especially.
  • SandmanSandman Member Posts: 73
    I would like to see a high level mod for BGEE with all the bells and whistles. Sarevok could be a high level boss and his cohorts of similar stature. It would I think make for an interesting spin on an already great game. The battles would be interesting to play out for sure.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    TJ_Hooker said:

There are some things in BG2 that I think would work well in BG1, but you would have to be careful; the vast majority of content in BG2 is designed for much higher levels. Anything from ToB especially.

Well if they were to be left in the coding only for modders to use then I expect they could easily gimp their stats to a more suitable level if needed.
  • FeatherFeather Member Posts: 20
    Modders can easily copy them over, I think. At least with items it's no problem at all. So I don't think this needs to be done. And for monsters I read somewhere that they even made Icewind Dale animations compatible (although I'm not sure on that) so, those (and as it's the same engine BG2-monsters work, too) can be copied over, too.

So yeah, it's possible to add to BGEE and it's even possible for modders to do so right now. But I doubt Overhoul will do so, as it would just add space to the BGEE installation that's mostly not needed and modders can already use BG2-ressources if they want (even the areas and stuff...)
    TJ_Hooker
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, this is a solution looking for a problem. The practical upshot is that you'll make downloads bigger for all users for the benefit of a fraction.

Mods that need BG2 resources will simply include them.
    SirK8TJ_Hooker
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Sandman said:

I would like to see a high level mod for BGEE with all the bells and whistles. Sarevok could be a high level boss and his cohorts of similar stature. It would I think make for an interesting spin on an already great game. The battles would be interesting to play out for sure.

Ooh. Baldur's Gate: Heart of Fury mode! Wouldn't be too complicated, sprinkle BG2 items throughout the game and break the level cap. BG2 has hobgoblin and kobold shamans/mages that can easily be added to early areas to make them more difficult.
    If a download is too much, then make it an add-on. Personally in the age of multi-GB game downloads, having a game a little larger with extra content included, which would make it easier for modders because they wouldn't have to pick and choose content to import because it is already there, doesn't sound bad to me.
    Sandman said:

If a download is too much, then make it an add-on. Personally in the age of multi-GB game downloads, having a game a little larger with extra content included, which would make it easier for modders because they wouldn't have to pick and choose content to import because it is already there, doesn't sound bad to me.

A mod requiring players to download a different file pack is a lot worse than simply including the needed resources. There's a reason why every mod that uses detectable spells simply includes it rather than requiring the standalone download.
    Ok so you were complaining of a bigger download but think a add-on pack is just as bad. o_0

Like I said, I don't see an issue adding the extra content, especially on a service such as Steam which would be able to handle the bandwidth.
    No, there's really a handful of scenarios:

1) Game includes unneeded resources
    2) Game excludes unneeded resources
    3) Extra resources are included as an optional pack

#1 hurts everyone for the benefit of a few--and I say that as one of the few. #3 is the same situation as #2, except in case #3 the mod has introduced an external dependency for no tangible benefit. Anyone who's been involved in modding long enough knows it's easier to incorporate the extra content directly, and the most widespread example is Detectable Spells. It's also why the modder pack of BG2 Fixpack failed so miserably, despite the widespread adoptance of the mod itself--the introduction of an external dependency, even one as widespread as BG2FP, leads to a ton of support hassles.
    I guess we will have to disagree. But thanks for sharing...
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    It would be great IF in the future the Cloak of Balduran would be added to BG2:EE.
    Somewhere hidden or on an NPC or simple added to a merchant or whatever.

In that case we could use the full Balduran items set :-)
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Everything @CamDawg says here is right, but there's an additional advantage in shipping the resources in your own mod: you know for a fact that the file hasn't been altered by anyone else.

SCSII includes some unused creature files (Lizard Man shamans, a yellow dragon) from BG2. These files are actually present in the game, but I ship my own copies anyway so that I know I have a stable baseline.
    Drugar