Skip to content

Party vs Party pvp and in-game lobby

agrisagris Member Posts: 581
Just voicing this to see what the general interest is. I always thought an arena-style map where multiple player-controlled parties could battle it out would be interesting. Does Overhaul have any intention of such a mechanism? Obviously I have no idea the code writing / modifications this would entail, but with a lobby / matching service planned, this is a natural extension of the cooperative multiplayer into PvP. I believe the chess-like spells system would lend itself well to pvp, and the player base would self regulate (oh, XYZ takes for-EVER to complete a turn. I'm not fighting him.)

Separately, is there going to be an 'in game' multiplayer lobby, where each player is represented by an avatar?

These two aspects could widen the audience- tactical competitive multiplayer is what party-based pvp would turn into, and that's a bit different than the vanilla solo game. The in-game lobby also satisfies a different type of social itch some gamers have.
Combine

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'm not sure about your other questions, but there's one problem with party based multiplayer that I think I've seen the developers mention before.

Apparently the game is extremely hard-coded into only allowing 6 man multiplayer games, so at most you could only have a 3x3 party multiplayer.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2012
    But doesn't take away from the fact that this would be great. I'd love kicking my brother's keister in proper 6-on-6 combat.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Tanthalas said:

...Apparently the game is extremely hard-coded into only allowing 6 man multiplayer games, so at most you could only have a 3x3 party multiplayer.

While I'm sure you've been exposed to more technical details about the engine than I have, the several quotes I can think of relate to scripts and certain engine functions. The use of a new arena map (I'm thinking gladiator style, with columns and other hazards) and no quests could simplify this. If some of the opcodes that all magic effects rely on are hard coded to deal with a 6 person game.. well then it's probably not going to happen.

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Well even a 3v3 would be fantastic. My experience with PvP in DnD games is mostly dueling so even a setting where you can have 6 players in seperate parties and duel each other would be fantastic.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    you're right, no reason to focus on 6 v 6. one on one duels would be a lot of fun too (especially mage duels)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Well they should un-hard code the six party limit.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If I remember that topic, it looked like un-hard coding the six party limit entailed rewriting a large portion of the code.