Skip to content

Allow us to rob dead shop-keepers- Revised 10/21

2»

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Robbing dead merchants would be more realistic, but it would give you too much power with almost no effort.
    I would leave it as it is.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i don't even think it would be more realistic
  • citizenxocitizenxo Member Posts: 24
    In arcanum you could kill shopkeepers and get their stash, but they never got new items then. That was really bad because the best stuff came in later in the game.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Silence said:

No one survives to tell of their evil, so why are they are being treated that way?

Speak With The Dead (Necromantic)
    Level: 3 Components: V, S, M Range: 1 Casting Time: 1 turn Duration: Special Saving Throw: None Area of Effect: One creature
    Explanation/Description: Upon casting a Speak With The Dead spell, the cleric is able to ask several questions of a dead creature in a set period of time and receive answers according to the knowledge of that creature. Of course, the cleric must be able to converse in the language which the dead creature once used. The length of time the creature has been dead is a factor, since only higher level clerics can converse with the long-dead. Likewise, the number of questions which can be answered and the length of time in which the questions can be asked are dependent upon the level of experience of the cleric. The cleric needs a holy symbol and burning incense in order to cast this spell upon the body, remains, or portion thereof.
    Level of Experience Maximum Length of Time Dead Time Questioned Number of Questions
    up to 7th 1 week 1 round 2
    7th - 8th 1 month 3 rounds 3
    9th - 12th 1 year 1 turn 4
    l3th - 15th 10 years 2 turns 5
    16th - 20th 100 years 3 turns 6
    21st and up 1,000 years 6 turns 7

"Who killed you?" is a viable question with legitimate answers in D&D. Your actions will have consequences.

Personally, I think that killing shopkeepers should indeed give you access to their inventory. Have fun carrying it, and even better, have fun selling it. Who's going to trade with a known merchant slayer? You're more likely to encounter a few dozen guards armed with the shopkeeper's stock themselves firing arrows of detonation at you than you are to rid yourself of your insanely heavy stolen inventory.

You can be evil and simply bribe officials (temples) to look the other way and keep your face off wanted posters and in the good books of local temples, but that won't rid you of the enemies you make with your actions.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Have even more fun when the bigger trading cities start sending mercenaries to kill you...Wait THAT can actually be fun :)
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Any shops selling expensive magical items (or indeed any expensive items) would have sufficient protection to put a stop to the average adventuring party. If this wasn't the case then the stores would have been robbed long before the players even get to them.

I guess once the player gets to really high levels (e.g. ToB levels) then sure they should be powerful enough to overcome any defenses the shops might have (by this point the player is more powerful than even people like Elminster). But by that point the player probably has so much money and so little to spend it on that it's quicker and easier to simply pay.
  • BlakeDrapetaBlakeDrapeta Member Posts: 21
    I support this idea, but it would make the game painfully easy for evil characters. Yeah you get in crap with the local guards, but you kill them, take a hit to the reputation, then shrug it off. BG as an rpg just doesn't have the complexity to really make more interesting NPC interactions work. You can script it in there sure, but the alignment and reputation score don't give you a lot of elbow room. It would have been nice if they only allowed you to choose evil, neutral or good, and then had your actions effect scores between lawful - chaotic and good - evil, all resulting in different dialogue options and NPC reactions.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I doubt the shopkeepers carry everything they sell in their pockets, maybe make some form of container that contains their things that if someone sees you touch it, everyone in town wants you dead.