Skip to content

Allow us to rob dead shop-keepers- Revised 10/21

BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 454
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Edited 10/21 due to suggestions and arguments by people:

BG1 if I killed a shopkeeper he didn't have the items from his shop on his dead body or anywhere in the shop. They were lost forever.

That makes no sense. If a shopkeeper is dead his items shouldn't vanish. They should all still be there. Some items shopkeepers sell are infinite and they all seem to have infinite gold, but you could set limits on those for dead shopkeepers having each drop a certain number of the items they can sell infinitely and a certain amount of gold.

However, the penalties for this would have to be high or it would completely destabilize the game, so robbing a shopkeeper would need added difficulties/penalties. I'd recommend the following:

1) GUARDS: The shopkeeper should have guards in the shop and the ability to call more. Attacking the shop keeper, or taking anything out of a chest in the shop (you could have the items for sale in locked/trapped chests rather than on the shopkeeper's body where they could be easily pick-pocketed), or even picking a lock or disarming a trap in the shop could cause all the guards to go hostile and the shopkeeper to call many more.

Pickpocketing the shopkeeper, disarming the traps, or opening the locks should require very high levels to succeed (much higher than needed for normal quests in that area). All the best items should not be on the body of the shopkeeper so a character would have to turn everyone hostile by opening a chest to get them.

2) REPUTATION: Killing any guard is already a -10 reputation loss and killing the shopkeeper could be as well. Meaning any Paladin or Ranger who did this would lose their class, and any good (or even neutral) characters would leave your party. This would discourage all but fully evil characters and parties.

3) The guards (both already in the shop and the new ones called) should chase the character anywhere they go in the city and should turn other civilians/NPCs of good or neutral alignment hostile as well. Any civilians turned hostile would run away and any fighting characters turned hostile would help the guards try to kill you. Those hostile civilians running away would turn others hostile (since obviously they would be talking about what you did), as would the guards chasing after you which would cause most the city to eventually turn against you.

Even if you leave the city, go to another city and temple and buy your reputation back up all the guards/civilians in the first city that were hostile would all still be there and hostile when they came back.

So doing this would cost you all your reputation, and your good/neutral party members, and the ability to interact with most of the NPCs in a city as any hostile NPCs would turn others hostile until most of the city was against you, making you unable to buy/sell things, get/finish side-quests, go to temples, etc. It would make being really openly evil have realistic consequences.

I think that would be enough to offset doing this for easy gold and items.

Thoughts?
Post edited by BCaesar on

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I also thought about this last week, but it will make BG2 very simple. Go to the adventures mart Kill a few people and have massive amounts of gold.

But I agree that there neer to be an reward for killing shop keepers.
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    If you get all the items the shopkeeper was selling, after he's killed, would there be any point in there being gold in the game? I suppose people can choose not to kill but for those that do, they can very easily obtain the most powerful and expensive items the moment they find the seller without having to pay. To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of commerce but still an interesting idea nevertheless :)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Blah - disagree
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    You just have to do things in the right order. First, pickpocket all the stuff you want then kill the shop keeper when he goes hostile.

I honestly can't conceive any other manner in which we can justify getting large numbers of shop items for free without upsetting game balance. This may simply be one of those aspects of realism that must be sacrificed for the sake of a working game.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    ryu1 said:

If you get all the items the shopkeeper was selling, after he's killed, would there be any point in there being gold in the game? I suppose people can choose not to kill but for those that do, they can very easily obtain the most powerful and expensive items the moment they find the seller without having to pay. To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of commerce but still an interesting idea nevertheless :)

It doesn't have to be easy. I'm pretty sure most merchants that have desirable magic items are former adventurers, and most of them have guards. They would also have nasty tricks like traps that they can set off as soon as you perform a hostile action, magical wards and contingencies.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    I think that'd be a little game-breaking. Besides, if I were a shopkeeper selling valuable magic items I'd be intimately aware of adventurers wanting and being able to do this sort of thing, so I'd probably keep the more valuable items in a secret room or a magically sealed container they can't get at if I die.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Terrible idea BCaesar...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    They shouldn't make the shop keepers carry all their wares on their bodies in the first place, it doesn't make sense. The items should be placed in containers around the shop, and you should be able to steal them if you were so inclined.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Would be too overpower to allow dead storekeepers to be salvaged, maybe it's a p&p feature but it's incompatible with an game engine plataform.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I don't think robbing a dead shopkeeper is the problem. I think the problem is that killing a shopkeeper is far too easy for the reward it gives. If killing a shopkeeper were made very difficult I'd have no problem with people robbing dead shopkeepers. It might even make things more fun!

That shopkeepers were so unprotected always bothered me. Currently, many shopkeepers in the game have hundreds of thousand of GP in merchandise, but for some reason have no guards, traps, or magical wards protecting that investment. I think Thantlyr is the only one who can kind of protect himself, and even then he is easy to cheese.

I'd only allow robbing a dead shopkeeper if an appropriate challenge were provided as part of the act.
    Elder Scroll worked this steal feature in shops pretty well, but that derivated from their engine specific features, we can't work that way in Baldur's Gate, what i think that will solve the problem is stop of treat low reputations as something bad, and give bonus or at least no penalities for shop for evil low rep parties buying in shops.

In my view an evil char name with 1 reputation is someone true to his alignment that respect the roleplay, punish him for have low alignment is the same of instigate people to power game and do not respect alignments.
    I'm definitely not for punishing evil characters either. The reputation modification of shopkeeper prices was not sensible, IMO.

My hope was for a more plausible game, not for one with fewer player options. I honestly think having guarded shopkeepers makes more sense, but it seems difficult to do. I don't see the problem with protecting a shopkeeper with a few armoured tanks...the way I see it, most evil parties would enjoy those extra kills and XPs. :)
  • RinpooRinpoo Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2012
    I think this is plausible, since you can just insert a stock system like most games do. You could kill them with current stock and you would get a set number of items. If you kill them for that + 1 sword you end up losing a source of long term potions and other gear. On top of that you get the Flaming Fist mercenaries and Amish soldiers ganged on you in every single town you enter. I also think it's silly to be against it when the penalties for killing a shop keeper in vanilla already outweighed the possibility of killing a shopkeeper for loot. Most carried garbage save for maybe a few wizards, *coughHighHedgecough* and after that you were hated pretty much forever in that specific area or town, even with reputation increase hostile red circle units stayed hostile, and that shop keeper stayed dead.
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 454
    edited October 2012
    I agree with a lot of the suggestions/problems mentioned so I've revised my idea to try to keep it realistic without breaking the game. Thanks everyone.
    Post edited by BCaesar on
    @Rinpoo: It sounds like there's two problems here. One is looting the shopkeeper, the other is the reputation system and the way it affects everything. I'd love to that re-worked, but it ain't going to happen. The game really discourages acting evil in any way. For some reason, one evil act leads to everyone in the world knowing about it and hating you 200% more.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Silence said:

@Rinpoo: It sounds like there's two problems here. One is looting the shopkeeper, the other is the reputation system and the way it affects everything. I'd love to that re-worked, but it ain't going to happen. The game really discourages acting evil in any way. For some reason, one evil act leads to everyone in the world knowing about it and hating you 200% more.

Well, yeah! You know the old Walkeener saying: "no merchant is an island." They get their supplies from somewhere and communities notice when they disappear. Merchants talk and are noticed. You kill one then everyone will know.

Besides, one of the paramount keys to a good RGP (at least PnP like D&D) is that there are ALWAYS consequences to actions!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Silence said:

Well it IS a role playing game. Picture a party of psychos with a reputation of 1 walking into any town. Their grizzled appearance, blood soaked weapons and armor, maniacal laughing taunts and threats, would send most sensible aligned peasants running for the hills at the mere sight of them. Frankly, evil alligned characters are lucky they are even allowed in shops in the first place.

Role play wise, chaotic evil characters probably shouldn't even be allowed to enter the town limits. Of course, that would make for interesting changes in game play. ;)

Their grizzled appearance, blood soaked weapons and armor, maniacal laughing taunts and threats...

LOL good description.
    edited October 2012

I honestly can't conceive any other manner in which we can justify getting large numbers of shop items for free without upsetting game balance. This may simply be one of those aspects of realism that must be sacrificed for the sake of a working game.

Yeah - It kind of goes back to a post I put out there that said shopkeepers shouldn't sell so many magic items, because then its not such big a deal when you can rob them. But anyway, problem with that is then gold becomes really useless as I think @Tanthalas said, which is a good point.
    Yes, there are many forms of evil. One is the kind you describe: the bloodthirsty thug that people know and fear. But let me instead propose another form of 'evil' character that is equally plausible, and would require different treatment by the game.

Some evil people are good at manipulating people and will do anything to get their way. Sometimes it's through deception, intimidation, persuasion or just plain outright violence, but the point is they get what they want. Using these talents, one would expect these form of evil characters get better deals on items, not worse (as they currently do). One would figure these evil people would cover their tracks competently and eliminate (or bribe) witnesses, too. Think of these characters as Neutral or Lawful Evil. No one survives to tell of their evil, so why are they are being treated that way?

Evil in the Baldur's Gate universe is more akin to karma. When you do something dishonest, it affects the way someone else treats you hours later in an unrelated situation. The reputation system was a creative endeavour and revolutionary for its time, but it has it faults.

At this point I'm getting away from the OP's topic (sorry @BCaesar!) My point is that the game offers little opportunity to be a true badass (though that may change with Dorn). I don't want more gold or more items - indeed Tanthalas is right when he comments that gold is pretty much useless past a certain point. I just want more (believable) roleplay options.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    Kill a 1 hit dice commoner and loot a huge collection of pricey items? Now that makes no sense ...

/thread
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Shopkeepers not dropping their stuff and gold is unrealistic. While I'm always for improving the balance of good / evil ways in a game, allowing to loot shopkeepers would just break everything. It's one of those things one has to live with when playing fantasy games. There is only so much realism you can have and no more. Shopkeepers should not be killed and should not drop any gold / items and killing them should give a ton of penalties like lower rep and guards hunting you.

If you don't do it like that, no sane meta player would bother buying anything and just kill all the shopkeepers. What's the worth for gold then? Right.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Just as boosting one's pickpocket skill to 240 or so and cleaning out every desirable magic item from a merchant's inventory is unrealistic (you'd think they'd realize everything's quickly disappearing), so is killing a merchant and being free to loot his stash as if it's a yard sale in the suburbs.

While I do think that the reputation system is flawed in terms of its effect on store prices (as discussed in several other threads), BG and BG2 are designed to allow your party to pick up plenty of magic items merely through adventuring. The stores are just an added bonus.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556

Kill a 1 hit dice commoner and loot a huge collection of pricey items? Now that makes no sense ...

/thread

I take it you didn't actually read the thread then...
    well i read, and still, make a battle and end it with the entire merchant hoard doesn't seems legit for me.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2012
    @OP
    where would the loot drop from? their corpse? how did they carry that much weight in the first place?

it is clear to me that the game doesn't envisage the entire store stock being on the merchant's person but someplace else entirely.
    that place not being accessible to the player signalizes that the game intentionally wants to prevent you from doing the very thing you're proposing.

i'll explain it to myself like this: merchants have magically warded bags of holding that require keywords (or something similar) to open; when you browse wares, you're not looking at the actual items, but at the catalogue and when you decide to buy something the merchant goes to the room in the back, whispers the keyword and pulls out the item.
    but there are spells that could help there so maybe a better explanation would be a bag of holding that disintegrates itself when touched by anyone-other-than-the-owner's hand
    or a bag of holding that disintegrates your hand when you reach inside unless you wear a special ring which is connected to the blood flow of it's owner; once the master is dead, the ring can not be reactivated.
    or, best of all, a chest of holding that is in fact a mimic. if you take stuff out of it without putting gold in first, it lashes at you and after you break it the rest of the contained items become forever inaccessible.
    but you get to take one item that way.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You know what I liked about World of Warcraft? ...I can't believe I just said that...

I liked that the shopkeepers were basically invincible. You don't get to kill them, because you're not supposed to kill them. They're staple NPCs, there to serve a specific purpose that is outside the realm of morality. A shopkeeper shouldn't suddenly become unavailable anymore than an innkeeper--because the inn is still there, and you need some kind of an interface to allow you to spend your gold there in exchange for goods (whether it's a room or a +3 halberd of chopping).

Since the shopkeepers and innkeepers of the world can be killed, I'm glad that doing so doesn't suddenly give you all of their inventory. But personally, I'd rather they behave differently from normal folk, because they are different.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There's a merchant in BG II UB whose store has no entrances and no exits and the only way to enter or exit his store is through a portal key, so you can only get there invited and with one of his agents,

Whenever I ask myself where shopkeepers keep their high priced stock I remember that and think that with the kind of money they have it wouldn't be hard to hire a wizard to create a small dimensional pocket or a portal to a room just like this where only the shopkeeper or those he allows have access.

So you kill him, you lose access. And only those he secretly gave another key will be able to reach the expensive stock.

For the poor ones, a simple explanation is that they just keep normal mundane stuff in their stores and have someone bring the expensive stuff from a hidden stash somewhere in the city.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Then how does stealing work...?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Now that's a nice question. Maybe the thief steals an item by distracting the shopkeeper after he asks to see something else. I've actually watched a documentary in Discovery Channel once where they showed how flawed our brains are on keeping track of things ;)