Skip to content

What mods should i use for BG2

Just finished BG:EE, can't wait for BG2EE, so I bought a copy of BG2 on GOG.

I played the game before but it has been a while (couldn't find the CDs)

what are the recommended mods to install?

Comments

• davendaven Member Posts: 112
    I'm in the same situation. Ill hang out and see what people say too!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pakbgeepakbgee Member Posts: 31
    I am not new to BG, i played BG2 many years ago (i bought it over 3rd time since i lost the my older copies).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Mods tend to be divided into two groups - mechanical/gameplay and story-related. I'd say the core ones for each are:

Mechanical/gameplay: Widescreen mod, BG2 Tweaks, Fixpack.

Story-related: Unfinished Business, Ascension.
    any mod to add new items (such as less used weapon types)?
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Item Revisions, makes every weapon style at least viable. Not everyone likes it though, check the item index to see if its what youre looking for. It doesn't really add new items much, just changes the existing ones.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=15c6000139c7d7f029dc097d9c90396f&showforum=157
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Weimers Item Upgrade Mod sounds like what you are looking for. After you install if you go to cromwell or cespenar you can forge upgrades a lot of under represented items classes as well as combine some items for ease of use. Aspects of it can be cheesy, though, so use whichever upgrades you feel don't break the game. *cough* Celestial Fury +5 *cough*
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I join the club and hang around for recommendations. I'm mostly interested in story-related mods and flavor stuff like banters. Especially non-romance mods that add depth to the existing NPCs.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297

Weimers Item Upgrade Mod sounds like what you are looking for. After you install if you go to cromwell or cespenar you can forge upgrades a lot of under represented items classes as well as combine some items for ease of use. Aspects of it can be cheesy, though, so use whichever upgrades you feel don't break the game. *cough* Celestial Fury +5 *cough*

There is certainly a lot of Camembert in there, but it does provide you with opportunities to lighten the heavy burden of your purse. There is also Weimer's Underrepresented Items mod (http://www.weidu.org/underrep.html). To balance things out, you could use a mod that increases combat difficulty and improves the enemy AI, like the very popular Sword Coast Strategems II (SCS II; http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/).
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    @pakbgee
    I recently started bg2 again but with some mods that I haven't played before.
    My mod setup is:

- Bg2 tweaks

- Ascenstion (for tob)

- NPC Angelo (Sarevoks friend)

- Widescreen

- Spell Revisions

- The Longer Road (awesome mod where you can try to redem Irenicus and also have him in the party, TOB only, Do NOT do Watchers Keep in SoA if you are importing your char)

- SCSII, Sword Coast Stratgems 2. It's the first time I try this mod and I must admit that this is a 'must have mod' to add some serious challange and fun. This should be included in BG2EE

- Unfinished Business

The game is new, fun and challening again so I recommend you to try it out. There is also The Darkest Day but I never finished it so I can't really say so much about it.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I've always been intrigued by the prospect of having Irenicus as a party member, but the idea always leads me back to this. :)
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Just don't add the improved shade lord for scsii it's a pretty rude shock at the party level you tend to do the rest of that quest
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    For a first time in BG2 you should really restrict yoursel to widescreen, bg2fixpack and UB. Skip the Minsc quest though, it makes him quite overpowered and I usually defend the position that there's no such thing as overpowered in a single player game.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    - Widescreen first and foremost.

- BG2Tweaks and the Fixpack.

- 1 Pixel Productions' HQ music mod: One of the best things about the BG series is the music, and this makes it clearer and less muddy.

- Dungeon-Be-Gone: Anyone who's played BG2 often hates Chateau Irenicus, so it gives you the appropriate rewards and XP as if you had gone through it already and jumps you to the end of it.

- Coran NPC mod: Because luck be a lady.

- Ascension, though I don't recommend the "improved" battles.

- Turnabout, where you can summon old friends that were killed off by the plot at the final battle of Ascension ToB.
    Suiboon said:

Item Revisions, makes every weapon style at least viable. Not everyone likes it though, check the item index to see if its what youre looking for. It doesn't really add new items much, just changes the existing ones.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=15c6000139c7d7f029dc097d9c90396f&showforum=157

Saw this one, but its not for me, I am not really looking for nerfs, but rather new items or improvements there is a reason BG series are much cooler than 3rd edition, because ruleset/items make you feel OP'ed.

this is a good one!
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The only NPC mods you should avoid like the plague are those by Nethrin and Sillara: Saerileth, Tsujatha and a drow chick with higher strength than MINSC (who uses dual Short Swords) all impose the game as though it revolves around them.

Chloe is bad because she won't shut up and her banters with Keldorn are an insult to his character! Seriously, it's fine she's a lesbian, but this shit gets SHOVED DOWN YOUR THROAT... in the bad way!
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    There is nothing wrong with Saerileth assuming it doesn't bother you that it is a romance mod for a 16 year old girl. But when you think about it that is something that was not uncommon. Also you can have her in the party without the romance and treat it as a teenage girl and her silly crush.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Dazzu said:

Chloe is bad because she won't shut up and her banters with Keldorn are an insult to his character! Seriously, it's fine she's a lesbian, but this shit gets SHOVED DOWN YOUR THROAT... in the bad way!

Thanks for the heads up; will avoid like the plague.
    @Dazzu - thanks for the warning. That is exactly the kind of thing I do not want. I certainly don't mind many banters and NPCs challenging each other's views, but that sounds annoying and out of place. Being hit on by a minor is also not on my list of things that improve the game, it would just make me feel like a dirty old creep.

Is there a mod that makes Cernd or Valygar more interesting?
  • RogueNRogueN Member Posts: 10
    If you're up for a challenge, combat wise, try Tactics mod. Personally i ran ease-of use mod + tactics + ascension + improved battles (this one reccomended only for experienced)
    @Itstucktwice: Touché.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited January 2013
    All the tweaks/fixes, and the widescreen mod are pretty much essential these days. Everyone should get those.

The others are optional, and depend on what you want out of the game. For experienced players looking for a challenge, Tactics and Ascension are two very good mods that make fights quite hard, as well as add new, tricky encounters.

The Solaufein mod is one of the most popular NPC mods out there, and possibly one of the best, too. It also adds an extra encounter, one of the hardest battles out there (late ToB).

Unfinished Business is another popular mod that extends some story lines and adds new ones; nothing major, but good fun, and a lot of content.

Item Upgrades is designed more for power-gamers, offering you new ways to upgrade many items in the game, as well as implementing ToB uprades into SoA (for those recipes that you can actually get the reagents for in SoA). If you use this without difficulty-enhancing mods, you may find yourself a little bit too powerful...

And of course there's many, many more mods out there that add NPCs, Romances, or other shiny things.
    Post edited by Lord_Tansheron on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In addition to what others have suggested, if you are looking for new quests/areas for BG2, there a few top quality ones. These all add a small quest to BG2 world.

From the top of my head, Tower of Deception, Dungeon Crawlers, Colors of Infinity mods (Tales of the Deep Gardens, Innershade, The White Queen) these add very good quality, exciting and interesting quests/new areas for you to tackle in BG2.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Wow, no one's mentioned Quest Pack yet? Easily one of the best content expansions out there.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    CamDawg said:

Wow, no one's mentioned Quest Pack yet? Easily one of the best content expansions out there.

Tell me more about it