Skip to content

[BUG] Baeloth removed from party

DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
edited February 2013 in Fixed
When you remove Baeloth from your party he just disappears. No leaving conversation is initiated (to potentially change your mind) and the character is gone and unable to be talked to and asked to rejoin in future.

In addition, you are unable to save the game in the area that you remove Baeloth, it continually says 'you are unable to save at this time'. Even leaving the area and re-entering does not fix the situation.

Expected behaviour: Baeloth should initiate a leaving conversation on being removed, and should remain in the area in which he was dismissed (or move to a nearby inn). Removing Baeloth should not prevent saving the game in that area.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Registered #1962
    Did you play this in multiplayer mode?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Further detail on this one, @Avenger_teambg: if your reputation rises too high and evil-aligned members abandon the party, then Baeloth's leaving-conversation is triggered (he offers to stay in spite of your high reputation), and that conversation contains the option to ask him to wait for you at the FAI but outside the walls (rather than indoors where others wait) because of the prejudice against drow.

Using this as a clue, I tried dismissing Baeloth (in single-player mode, and I was inside the FAI at the time), and yes, he vanishes instantly and without triggering the intended conversation, but then it turns out that he's hiding outside the walls of the FAI, near the south-east corner of the map. Go there and you can speak to him and re-recruit him ... but it's not a place you'd be likely to search unless you knew to go there!

Incidentally, I'm not convinced by the story-logic of this mechanism (even if it were working correctly): it makes sense that a drow on his own might be at risk in any of the urban locations (like the awkward situation in which Viconia is found at the beginning of BG2), but the FAI is explicitly meant to be neutral territory where all are welcome, so shouldn't that mean a drow is safe inside?
    I don't know how 'liberal' is the FAI considering drow. Baeloth is warned (mockingly) that he better waits outside. He just doesn't risk to enter, he doesn't know much about FAI and its open arms policy.
    So, i guess, this isn't a bug, but a request to relocate?
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    It was single player, and I dismissed him inside the FAI (where I keep all my unused NPCs). Having him automagically transport to outside the FAI would make sense as to what causes the problem, but still it shouldn't happen like that.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Sorry, @Avenger_teambg, I overlooked your reply to this.

Yes, there's a definite bug aside from any feature-request quibbles: when dismissed, Baeloth ought to have his leaving-conversation first and then relocate to the outside of the FAI afterwards. At the moment, he's just re-locating instantly instead of having his leaving-conversation, so players won't know where he's hiding. (Although it does work okay when he's leaving for reputation rather than dismissal.)