Skip to content

Branwen or Viconia :)

I use mixed party so it dsnt matter if viconia is evil or not.

I just want to know which priest is better to use and why.

thanks.

Comments

• GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    Bhaaldog said:

There is not much difference between the two in terms of stats. Personally I prefer Viconia in terms of personality and her background, eventually I will also romance her in BG2 so there is some continuation for role play purposes. She has Dexterity and Magic Resistance advantages over Branwen. Oh and she is a Drow... and as everyone should know, the Drow rule Supreme!

Thankyou ur opinion was rly insightful :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Well, I'm one of those guys who would honestly tell you that all the Clerics in the game suck (low Wisdom on all of them, I swear). But Viconia is probably better. Branwen can be equipped a bit heavier due to decent Strength, gets a small Constitution bonus to HP, and has a passable Dexterity. Furthermore she is tied with 3 others for the best Wisdom in the game (16), which only grants +2 Level 1 and +2 Level 2 Spells but hey, there you go. Overall Branwen is actually pretty good.

On the other hand, Viconia is far better with a Sling. You can't equip her as heavily but that ends up not being a huge issue with Ankheg Armor and the like. Main thing is you can't equip her with a Shield above Small. Her 50% Magic Resistance is insanely useful. Basically Viconia is not nearly as good in melee combat but Clerics tend to be pretty awful in melee anyway, with Branwen being no exception. You're better off having them use spells and sling rocks around; Viconia is far better at slinging, and has a 15 Wisdom so she's only missing a Level 2 Spell compared to Branwen.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    8 con sux =(
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It depends on where you want to position the cleric - Branwen's a bit better on the front lines, but Viconia's 19 DEX makes her excellent as a ranged fighter (and, as Quartz notes, that 50% Magic Resistance certainly doesn't hurt, especially since in BG:EE this is specifically resistance against harmful magic rather than, say, healing spells).
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    As I tend to play the hero, Branwen is a bit more useful for me (no fear of losing the character if rep taps 19/20). Playing through the game normally, you're going to find Branwen earlier, too. That means more time customizing her proficiencies and spells to your liking (the latter is less important, because clerics have instant interchangeability of spells).

THAC0 is a huge downside for both, but the 19DEX of Viconia largely overcomes that. I gave Branwen some magic items to help her in that area, and it's worked well for me. When I played with Viconia, I kept her at a distance (she's only slightly less fragile than my mages) and it also worked well for me.

From an RP standpoint, Viconia is more interesting (Branwen sort of just shows up and is 'there', while Viconia has a big story), but I don't agree with the game having her split from the party. It makes sense for most 'evil' characters, but she's a unique case - it is in her best interest to stay with the party and avoid being hunted.

Anyway, the bottom line is : they're roughly equivalent, so I'd pick the one that interests you more.
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    Take Viconia and use various ways to enhance her strength. Her proficiencies are very very good. She can use lighter plate armors at first, and by the end of the game can have perfect strength to use the heaviest armor. Park her behind a giant tower shield and a few of her skeletons and she is a force to be reckoned with.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    I would go with Viconia. She may have horrible con, but 50% magic resistance is wonderful, especially when you are a simple potion away from being completely resistant to magic, which helps wonders against the dreadful mage battles later on.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Always good old Vic.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    I have to add another voice to the Yeslick crowd.
    Unless CHARNAME is a cleric, all of the clerics in the game are pretty average. May as well go with one who makes for a nice fighter too.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I usually play a good party so I end up taking Branwen. I just can't see a good party with a chaotic evil DROW.
  • MattysekMattysek Member Posts: 24
    Dual Xzar to cleric with thome of wisdom :) My favourite cleric with fireballs :D
  • MadeiraMadeira Member Posts: 3
    Bhaaldog said:

Oh and she is a Drow... and as everyone should know, the Drow rule Supreme!

Tiax rules all!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Branwen has more wisdom than Vicona, so that potentialy her a better priest. Then again, Viconia has 50% magic resistance and overrated race. If you prefer effective priest, pick Branwen. If you want something exotic, pick Viconia.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    branwen is the better front liner and with decent buff becomes an effective tank
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Objectively Viconia than Branwen will have a better AC but lower HP and 1 fewer level 1 & 2 spells. Both are fairly effective in their role with gear to correct their individual deficiencies.

They're much of a muchness, so go with whichever voice set you prefer or similar arbitrary idiosyncratic decision. Failing this go oldschool and roll a die to decide.

Or, possibly more interesting - get them both and have them fight to the death!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

8 con sux =(

But it's only 1 HP/level worse than 15 Con.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Madeira said:

Bhaaldog said:

Tiax rules all!
    Which means, of course, that Tiax is Drow.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

8 con sux =(

But the permanent "I'm tired"... If the rest of the party has higher con, it does get annoying if one NPC keeps complaining. She's already on the fragile side, I need no added fatigue on travel encounters.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Always good old Vic.

Surely you mean

Always evil, unless I romance her in a tedious way to change her alignment, Vic.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Look. You take a cleric for healing. Jaheria, heals and fights. Yeslick and Tiax also offer the same goodies.

Plus Branwen makes a good statue...
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2013
    Anduin said:

Look. You take a cleric for healing.

I would have to disagree quite strongly on this point. Clerics have so much combat utility!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    emjay said:

Anduin said:

Look. You take a cleric for healing.

I would have to disagree quite strongly on this point. Clerics have so much combat utility!
    Very true for the BG series as a whole. Arguable for only BG1 with the xp cap. Druids get some nice utility spells by virtue of their higher level cap, but Clerics, being limited to level 8 in BGEE, tend in my games to be healers and backup tanks exclusively. And buff-bots, I guess, but still.

Madeira said:

Bhaaldog said:

Tiax rules all!
    Which means, of course, that Tiax is Drow.
    Tiax rules all. But does Tiax rule supreme?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

8 con sux =(

But remember that the NPCs are scripted to start with a predesignated number of HPs at whatever level you get them.

I recently picked up Branwen after clearing the Nashkel mines, and she's a level 5 cleric with 38 HPs - more HPs than any other member of my party. If I were to pick up Viconia around now, she would have considerably less HPs.

If you prefer effective priest, pick Branwen. If you want something exotic, pick Viconia.

This is basically the way I see it.

Branwen is a better priest and a better all-around character in general. Viconia has one or two unique, offbeat advantages, but also more weaknesses.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Branwen's turn undead actually turns away undead, whereas' Viconia's merely "recruits" them briefly.
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    I can hardly provide a dispassionate pronouncement on the subject, hm? The burly priestess of Tempus might have been more useful with a hammer swung by her hefty arms, yet I'd keener aim and a natural talent for wriggling free of whatever foul curses were flung at us. Perhaps the choice simply boils down to whether the distinct favor of Tempus or Shar is sought first and foremost - a glorious victory for yourself, or a crippling loss for your foes. Despite our theological differences, I never found much quarrel with the wandering woman. We'd both the sense to recognize a kindred spirit who seen their share of prayer and battle, and we knocked a tankard or two of ale together where we could, as was her custom.
    If you're willing to wait quite a long time then go for Quayle. He's actually really good.

He's not a frontliner and has crap wisdom but the sheer volume of spells he can put out is great. Cleric/Illusionist is an almost brokenly good class combo, even with Quayle's mediocre stats. So what if he doesn't get bonus spells from wisdom? He has a whole bunch of mage spells to compensate.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Corvino said:

If you're willing to wait quite a long time then go for Quayle. He's actually really good.

I've always thought Quayle was a hugely underrated character in BG1 (assuming you can tolerate his personality, LOL). He's basically BG1's version of Aerie, who many people praise in BG2.

A lot of people simply focus on Quayle's deficiencies as a cleric when criticizing him, but I prefer to think of him as a good quality mage who can also cast some cleric spells, and can also use weapons and other accessories that a normal mage can't use.
    He's even had an upgrade for BG:EE @SharGuidesMyHand. His Dexterity has been improved from 15 to 16 as it was illegally low for an Illusionist. So he can even throw a meaner sling stone than before, and his AC is better.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I like the fact that Branwen can be picked up in Chap. 2, perhaps just before Bandit Camp map, without losing HP. Allows me to enjoy the whole Edwin, Minsc, Dynaheir subplot and flavors and then settle the whole question of who gets what Gauntlets as a new beginning.

Plus I still have the option of dropping Branwen in Chap. 4 for Yeslick if I am in the mood for variety.

From an RP perspective, I feel strongly that during Chap1-2 Charname is still reeling from Gorion's death and his vastly changed circumstances, beset by a multitude of threats he knows very little about. I personally would want to avoid as much notoriety as possible until I could gather more information.

As such I would find it unlikely to include in party such a distinctive and attention drawing NPC as Viconia. At least during the first 30 days.