Skip to content

Stopping a maze bug before it hits.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited January 2013 in Original BG2 Bugs
Expected behavior: Someone captured in a maze spell retains bonus spells from items.
Current behavior: If a spellcaster is mazed, upon their release all memorized spells in spell slots granted by magic items (ring of wizardry, ring of holiness) are cleared.

Yes, yes, yes, I know we aren't there yet. I can still give a wild mage the maze spell with SK and they can cast it through Nahal's. When they do this the bug happens in BG:EE like it did in BG2 so I know that it hasn't been dealt with yet. I just thought I would make you aware so you could get a leg up on fixing bugs for BG2:EE.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    The side effects of maze have always bothered me in BG2. Is there some precedence for losing spells?

I avoided it where possible by using spell immunity.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Edwin I don't think there is any precedence for loss of spells from items. Maze transports your entire body into a literal maze formed out of the planes. There is no real reason for this transportation to cause the magic of the rings and things to stop functioning while you wander around a maze looking for a way out. Keep in mind that only spell slots given by items are lost and not ones from natural effects (like high level abilities). This is likely because the effects of items are not preserved when the spell takes effect and your character leaves the screen.

The thing about maze is it is actually a very capable defensive spell. If you ever need to protect someone from a fight then maze is the way to do it since ORS requires a save and makes neutrals go agro unlike maze.
    I honestly don't know of any other way of effectively protecting that merchant guy in the Amkethran crypt battle.
    Of course you are unlikely to use maze defensively on your casters because of this bug. That is my main concern with it.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Tresset said:

ORS makes neutrals go agro

Wow. In this case Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is definitely bugged and should be fixed!
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    So you don't think that a random person coming up to you and putting you in an impenetrable bubble would annoy you? The bug is really that maze doesn't aggro.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @karnor00 what if I cast it to protect some peasant from fireball ?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Anton @karnor00 Actually I was mistaken about ORS making people agro. I don't know where I came up with that one but I was wrong...