Skip to content

Level 1 party run into a Vampiric Wolf

I was on my way to Nashkel for the first time and ran into a Vampiric Wolf in the second area south of Beregost. The only magical weapons I had were a sling +1 for Neera with no magical ammunition (she couldn't hit the side of a barn anyway) and quarter staff +1 for Jaheira. You can figure out how that ended. I don't remember facing them this early on in the original BG. Time to go buy some magical arrows for my archer :)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    It can be killed even with those weapons. Just give them to someone else.

Spoiler:
    Aaaaand... there is nice magic mace in Beregost. Only thing you have to do is find it and take.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Sidemi said:

Spoiler:
    Aaaaand... there is nice magic mace in Beregost. Only thing you have to do is find it and take.

I don't think I can hit it with the sling without magical ammunition. I also know about the mace, but I'm not gonna use it since my party isn't really into stealing.

• GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

I don't think I can hit it with the sling without magical ammunition. I also know about the mace, but I'm not gonna use it since my party isn't really into stealing.

Stealing is dirty word, Its more like a loan ~~
    moopy said:

Wait, you play an RPG and DON'T break pots / crates and take everything that isn't nailed down?

Wow. You and I play completely different games :D

I don't always play like this. The last time I played BG2 I stole every single thing I could rip off of every chest, crate, barrel etc from all the houses I could find with the exception of stores. I ended up with so much cash I could buy all the best items before even going after Imoen.
    GaNoN said:

Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

When would you plan on returning it? ;)

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    GaNoN said:

Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

Sounds like a Kender i kow :P

• SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

Sorry, my bad. I meant that staff not the sling. Exactly same thing happened to me last night. That staff saved my ass.
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    moopy said:

Wait, you play an RPG and DON'T break pots / crates and take everything that isn't nailed down?

Wow. You and I play completely different games :D

Lol...I'm this ^^^ and a packrat... Im' a recovering D&D hoarder. Just a little while ago while playing, I managed to let go and drop a cursed scroll for some other irrelevant inventory item I needed room for. Now my worthless cursed scroll collection is incomplete and it's bothering the hell out of me... :D
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    As others have said. The random encounters can go from gibberling to pretty much vampiric wolf.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2013
    Wilbur said:

GaNoN said:

Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

When would you plan on returning it? ;)

well I'm sure it would be loaned to a shop keeper for safe keeping ; )
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 15
    in BG2 I put every point in pickpocket, joined the thieves guild, and subsequently was able to sell, steal, and resell the same item (whatever was priciest in my inventory) over and over to the guild for cash ;)
    Then I found that $20,000 staff --tough fight-- and turned it into a million pretty quickly with the same method.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Pffft, everyone knows the magical weapons you find in inns are complimentary, like the little chocolates they put on pillows.
    Pantalion said:

Pffft, everyone knows the magical weapons you find in inns are complimentary, like the little chocolates they put on pillows.

Ok, nice to know. It seems I got it all wrong then :)

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    It is one thing to be able to hit the vampiric wolf and another to kill it (and I think it would be immune to the stun effect of stupefier). An ennemy with HP 50, AC 2 and THAC0 13, with a 1d10 dmg / attack with a paralyzation effect on huit, is not going to be an easy foe for a lvl.1 party no matter how well they are armed... I would run !
    Ignatius said:

It is one thing to be able to hit the vampiric wolf and another to kill it (and I think it would be immune to the stun effect of stupefier). An ennemy with HP 50, AC 2 and THAC0 13, with a 1d10 dmg / attack with a paralyzation effect on huit, is not going to be an easy foe for a lvl.1 party no matter how well they are armed... I would run !

And to not make things too easy I play on insane difficulty.

Two of my party member are actually on level 2 (Imoen and Jaheira 2/2) not that it makes too much of a difference.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Wilbur said:

And to not make things too easy I play on insane difficulty.

then run twice as fast ;-)

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    lordkim said:

GaNoN said:

Wilbur said:

Sidemi said:

Spoiler:

Sounds like a Kender i kow :P

Hey Kenders don't get loans, they just find the things clumsy big people forget about or let fall from their pockets, backpacks and chests :)
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    happened to me to....i think i died and reloaded and he didnt appear.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Would the Wand of Frost you can easily obtain early on work well vs. a Vampiric Wolf? Doesn't matter if you freeze it, as doesn't drop any loot

Would the Wand of Frost you can easily obtain early on work well vs. a Vampiric Wolf? Doesn't matter if you freeze it, as doesn't drop any loot

If it does then I think even just Jaheira with her staff +1 could bludgeon it to death. The others could watch and cheer.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Wand of Frost should work, I would think.
    I have something like 800 cash so I'll see what I can find from Beregost that would help kill the wolf. At least some arrows +1 and maybe a longsword +1.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    When I can kill a vampiric wolf, I feel accomplished. It's like a milestone to achieve, I guess. I use them as an early gauge and a goal to reach (be ready for vamp wolf) on my way to being ready for (for instance) sirines and other threats.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Hmm, I remember running into a pair of vampiric wolves, with a bunch of other wolves near the Beregost Temple too. They made me very very sad :(
    Although not as sad as the time my level 2-ish group was ambushed by an ogre-mage between zones.
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    One way to deal with them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    If you run off the map - go back to town and rest it's highly unlikely he will spawn again when you return - (and I think the spawns go away in a relatively short time with no adventurers to feed them just like gear left behind does)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Sylph said:

Hmm, I remember running into a pair of vampiric wolves, with a bunch of other wolves near the Beregost Temple too. They made me very very sad :(
    Although not as sad as the time my level 2-ish group was ambushed by an ogre-mage between zones.

Ha ha. Got hit with a Wyvern once that way. "Your Party has been Waylaid and must defend itself.... Against Wyvern!!!" Ouch...

The Vamp Wolves on the eastern edge of the Temple board near Bergost "Should" be a scripted event. As in, they hang out there (I think). They 'pack' up with a worg and some regular wolves. I remember encountering them there once and was like WTF? How am I supposed to kill THAT? Ran away and didn't go back till I had proper equipment to deal with the infestation.

The Vamp wolves on the path south, 'Usually' only appear at night. And then you kind of have to stray off the path to encounter them. But so long as you have magic to deal with them (+1 staff, magic missile wand/spells) it is killable. Just it can be a rude awakening.