Skip to content

*spoiler* Went to Durlags Tower before Ulgoths Beard

So now I am at Ulgoths Beard and discovered a bit more about Soultaker Dagger.

I also picked up a few quests to go back and one for Baldurs Gate.
Are these new quests to go back to Durlags Tower or have they already been completed along the way I can't remember.

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited January 2013
    Those are the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion quests. There's three of them.

Once you have completed Durlag's Tower, you're done with it. You don't have to return there. Durlag's can said to be fully concluded when you have wrapped up the Soultaker dagger piece of it at Ulgoth's Beard.

The other two ToSC quests take you elsewhere, i.e., not back to Durlag's Tower. Questgivers are:

Mendas and Shandalar, respectively. Both located in Ulgoth's Beard.
  • TheWiSeFooLTheWiSeFooL Member Posts: 124
    You forgot to mention.....

* Hurgan Stoneblade - after I'd killed all the cult members at the house I never recovered the dagger back
    when I speak to Hurgan nothing happens. He just says to 'hurry they are performing their ritual.'

* Also Therella's missing son - Dalton I am sure I came about this NPC before, although I can't remember if he was dead and I left his corpse there.

I have done the all quests at Ulgoths Beard (I went to Durlags Tower 1st) except for Mendars quest at BG.

DAMN! I paid 60g for the tour that I don't need to go to now :p
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Silly question: You did check the basement of the cult house, right?
    Okay! I assume there is a secret passage then.

I moused over the whole room and no 'stairs' icon showed to go down lower levels.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I don't think there's any secret passage. On the floor of the cultists' house that you come in on, there should just be a flight of stairs leading down.
    It's door-hatch-on-the-floor type of deal. At the back of the room.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Although, for the love of Ao, BUFF UP LIKE WHOA and save before you head down there. :)
    LemernisSplodSCARY_WIZARDKidCarnival
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Amen to that. All of the buffs.

You know all the potions of heroism those cultist weirdos drop? Them too.
    @TheWiSeFooL You may be back for some advice. I know I was the first time I fought that battle.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    I had a crack at it last night... Wow.
    Buff, buff, buff...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I find that throwing Otiluke's Resilient Sphere can help in the fight against Aec'Letec. While doing that, beat on the Cultists until they're all gone. Please. D:!
    Granted, Aec'Letec will save against the damn spell half the time, but when you can get it out...yeeaah. :D Maybe have the best Wild Mage on all Toril try and get a lower resistance out, and on Aec'Letec before sphereing him?
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    The only time I've beaten Bg1, was in the vanilla game, and I beat Aec'letec and big S without any problems, using Viconia and Minsc for tanks. IDK what all the fuss is about, these fights were easy when I did them :S
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    my Aec strategy was to lure them out into ulgoth's beard. bottle neck the stairs in front of the door to the house with a NPC that i Otiluked. then arrowed and spelled them to death!

this was back in vanilla day, i'm in DT at the moment, can't wait to try it all again in BG:EE!
    I got Aec'letec to 'Near Death' with no one dead and 1 cultist left, then about 10 secs later I check his health again and he is back to 'badly injured' how the fack does he heal back up?!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The cultist must have healed him?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Stealth and kill all the cultists first. Once you have him isolated then a simple [Game Spoiler] should do the trick. At least it always did in BG1 and Tutu, possibly it may be changed in EE.

I'm not going to go and type it right there, you've obviously not played before and that would spoil things ;)
    This fight is utterly bewildering when you first take it on because there are two subtle things happening that are kind of hard grasp amidst the sheer mayhem of battle. If you get stuck (I know I did) the solution is below:

What to do about Aec's death gaze: Aec will turn your party members into ghouls (in which case they are slain) with his demon stare. The easiest defense against this is to have every party member who's fighting down in that basement gulp down a Potion of Mirror Eyes. The potions are available at the inn right there in Ulgoth's Beard. You can also cast Dispel Magic, but of course that dispels your party's buffs as well Aec's death gaze.

Aec regenerates (!) if you kill him before all the cultists are dead. So you have to kill all the cultists first. (Start with Tracea Carol, the cult leader priestess. Otherwise she will cast spells like Confusion and Dire Charm.)

There's a lot more that can be said tactically, but those are the linchpins.

Eudaemonium
    I didn't look at the spoilers before typing this message took me several attempts.
    I remember this fight being a lot easier when I played it before BGEE.

I didn't use any fancy strat just killed them all the good old conventional way.
    Dynaheir doesn't do Otilukes and Neera I didn't pickup also I wanted a challenge lol.

Ok so I killed Aec PERFECT with no deaths, I thought awesome a perfect kill!
    Minsc the tank was on near full HP and all of a sudden dies and turns into a GHAST. This happened to my MAIN character a few times even when I was clearly winning.
    What spell did the demon cast that turns you into a GHAST?! as I saw nothing on his character portrait that shows a DEBUFF. I always left me thinking WTF?!?!

I CBF doing it all over again again so went to the temple to res him.

Ok I know I read the spoiler.

I thought that pot only reflects polymorph and not other spells - interesting.

I used *other* means of countering death gaze other than that I pretty much used the same strat.
    What about this quest here:

* Also Therella's missing son - Dalton I am sure I came about this NPC before, although I can't remember if he was dead and I left his corpse there.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    decado said:

Stealth and kill all the cultists first. Once you have him isolated then a simple [Game Spoiler] should do the trick. At least it always did in BG1 and Tutu, possibly it may be changed in EE.

I'm not going to go and type it right there, you've obviously not played before and that would spoil things ;)

@decado

If by [Game Spoiler] you mean

Cloudkill

Yep, this works also in BGEE.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited January 2013

I didn't look at the spoilers before typing this message took me several attempts.
    I remember this fight being a lot easier when I played it before BGEE.

I didn't use any fancy strat just killed them all the good old conventional way.
    Dynaheir doesn't do Otilukes and Neera I didn't pickup also I wanted a challenge lol.

Ok so I killed Aec PERFECT with no deaths, I thought awesome a perfect kill!
    Minsc the tank was on near full HP and all of a sudden dies and turns into a GHAST. This happened to my MAIN character a few times even when I was clearly winning.
    What spell did the demon cast that turns you into a GHAST?! as I saw nothing on his character portrait that shows a DEBUFF. I always left me thinking WTF?!?!

I CBF doing it all over again again so went to the temple to res him.

@TheWiSeFooL

Sir,

This spell turning a man into a ghast is clearly a nasty one, but perfectly legit since it is the privilege of Young Nabassus (that's what Aec'Letec is).

IIRC, Nabassus loose this ability as they become older (and I guess they gain other annoying ones).

The debuff is indeed shown on the portrait (and status in character profile). It is a white snake-looking with strange head icon). IIRC it is called "Dying" or "Death Gaze".
    Erg said:

decado said:

@decado

If by [Game Spoiler] you mean

Cloudkill

Yep, this works also in BGEE.
    That's the one. Good to know.

Yeah my Dynaheir is unable to cast Level 5 spells yet unfortunately.
    She did have the spoiler spell already memorised though.

There was a slight bug in that if you didn't kill of the cultists beforehand that a single instance of that spell would cause multiple demons to spawn (one for each cultist). Obviously a situation worth avoiding.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    decado said:

There was a slight bug in that if you didn't kill of the cultists beforehand that a single instance of that spell would cause multiple demons to spawn (one for each cultist). Obviously a situation worth avoiding.

@decado

Do you mean that more than one demon would spawn at once?

AFAIK the demon it is supposed to respawn until there are still cultists left, just no more than one instance at a time.
    @Erg.

Exactly. One point I had 8 or so copies of the demon running around at once. Needless to say I didn't survive long...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Does the Death Ward spell work against death gaze?