Skip to content

Amnish soldiers in Nashkel fighting each other

forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
edited February 2013 in Fixed
Yesterday, I decided to play through the game with a Chaotic Evil character and very low reputation. (1 most of the time, except after turning in quests that increase it)

For the most part, there were no problems, but I noticed something strange - in Nashkel, occasionally the amnish soldiers that patrol the road would suddenly turn hostile, only to be instantly attacked and eventually killed by the other non-hostile Amnish soldiers.
As I've never seen this happen before (including in my normal reputation playthrough the day before), I'm assuming it has to do with my reputation.

My guess would be that they are supposed to attack me due to my reputation, but that for some reason the other soldiers treat them turning hostile on me as an act of aggression towards an innocent and as a result attacks them, causing them to start fighting each other instead and largely forgetting about me.
I have no idea whether this happens in the original game as well, as I've never done a "1 reputation" playthrough before, but while utterly hillarious, I can't imagine this was intentional.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• VegardPompeyVegardPompey Member Posts: 20
    So after the 'disappearance' of some nobles in Nashkel, Amnish Soldiers began attacking me on sight due to my low reputation score. The problem is, the soldiers still neutral start attacking the soldiers that attack me. That can't be intended...
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    edited January 2013
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    If its the critical hit your refffering too, then yes. Some Helmets are protectet .
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Amnish Soldier has had enough of Amnish Soldier pushing him around!
    ADHDCalmar
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited January 2013
    He's referring to the fact that the soldiers are fighting each other, I think.

It's part of a bug that seems to be popping up here and there, and hopefully it won't ruin your game. One of the soldiers somehow went hostile (Possibly getting hit by AoE during a different fight, like the Nimbul encounter?), and the other soldiers attacked him.

Edit: If you have a save file before this started happening that isn't too far back, I advise you to use it. NPCs going hostile and not dying quickly seem to get glitchy and begin multiplying, which can ruin your game.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Let them fight. This is much better than attacking charname with no obvious reason.
  • MortesMortes Member Posts: 45
    I'm quite certain he's refering to the Amnish Soldiers attacking each other. Sounds very similar to other reports about NPCs seamingly randomly attacking each other. And no, it's not normal. At this point I actually wouldn't even try to play anymore until it's solved. Otherwise you might end up with quest NPCs getting killed which might break your game.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Haha didnt notised that... damn.. im going blind. Must be the age !1 :/
    Illustair
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Could it be a charmed/dominated guard that got ordered to attack another guard? :P
    But in all seriousness I'd advice the same as the others to load a game before this happens and hope it doesn't happen again.
  • DerDuKeDerDuKe Member Posts: 88
    Seems like evil is taking over. Maybe it has something to do with the iron problems in the region. You should visit the Nashkell mines for further information!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I've seen this. It happens when a soldier sees a party with a rep of 4 or less and turns hostile. Unfortunatly, any soldiers who DON'T see the low rep party remain flagged as friendly and attack anything flagged as hostile, such as their former comrade.

I think this has to be considered a bug...
    LifatKEGman321hook71
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @Fardragon That is probably the best explanation I've heard to this. Would be great if OP could confirm that he is indeed a scallywag of evil with such low reputation :P
    Calmar
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    scriver said:

Amnish Soldier has had enough of Amnish Soldier pushing him around!

'No, Jeremy, I ain't gonna get yer socks from the laundry AGAIN. I ain't a cleaning lass! In fact, ye can stuff yer socks where the sun doesn't shine!'
    Must be tough to be a grunt in the army. :p
    mlnevesescriver
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    The aforementioned demeanor is often seen among common people after ingesting considerable amounts of alcoholic beverage.

In other words maybe he was hammered.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited January 2013

'No, Jeremy, I ain't gonna get yer socks from the laundry AGAIN. I ain't a cleaning lass! In fact, ye can stuff yer socks where the sun doesn't shine!'
    Must be tough to be a grunt in the army. :p

Let's hope Jeremy forgot his sword in the barracks, for the sake of peace.
    Wilburmlnevese
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    It is just Amnish Soldier hitting himself really hard with a brick. Yeah, this is how I love to use Charm Person :)
    lordkim
  • KEGman321KEGman321 Member Posts: 22
    Mortes said:

I'm quite certain he's refering to the Amnish Soldiers attacking each other. Sounds very similar to other reports about NPCs seamingly randomly attacking each other. And no, it's not normal. At this point I actually wouldn't even try to play anymore until it's solved. Otherwise you might end up with quest NPCs getting killed which might break your game.

If a quest NPC gets killed would it not just use Biff the Understudy in their place?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    They have a script that tells them to kill any enemy creature unless they are innocent or flaming fist. They used to be classed as innocent but are no longer. They are now classed as "Amnish_soldier". This needs to be added to the script to prevent them from potentially killing each other. So yes, a bug.
    ErgCuvAristilliushook71
  • MalachyMalachy Member Posts: 13
    This is definitely to do with Reputation. it's only ever happened on my evil playthroughs. The guards that see you turn hostile who then in turn get attacked by those that don't and then once they are finished killing the hostile guards they turn hostile themselves and the process repeats until all are dead or you leave the area for a considerable amount of time and your rep improves.

Never seen it effect npcs that aren't the Amnish soldiers but i'm sure there are others who have.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Malachy said:

This is definitely to do with Reputation. it's only ever happened on my evil playthroughs. The guards that see you turn hostile who then in turn get attacked by those that don't and then once they are finished killing the hostile guards they turn hostile themselves and the process repeats until all are dead or you leave the area for a considerable amount of time and your rep improves.

Never seen it effect npcs that aren't the Amnish soldiers but i'm sure there are others who have.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with reputation. If you get caught stealing, and don't bribe the Amnish soldiers who show up, they turn hostile on you. If you then exit the building you're in, the hostile soldiers sometimes follow, and in turn get attacked by the neutral Amnish soldiers outside.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Applied @Balquo's patch
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    This has been fixed and should be available in the next patch.
  • KlasincKlasinc Member Posts: 1
    Yes, this is a common problem and it happened to me as well.
    The problem is with the party reputation. Mine was too low, so I had to go back to the temple at the Friendly Arms Inn (if I went to the one in Nashkel it didn't solve the problem) and paid enough to get my reputation back.
    Problem solved, I guess. It shouldn't be like this but, it's something?

Cheers