Skip to content

Branwen turns back into stone

MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
Current behavior: I rescued Branwen from the stone but haven´t took her with me yet. Went to some other areas. After returning Branwen was turned back into stone.

Expected behavior: She should not turn back into stone, unless that suspicious halfling turns her back.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I'm looking at it now. I can't reproduce the re-petrificaiton, but I do see the Zeke not giving the scroll problem. Does anyone know where NPC spawns are defined?
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    There is no problem with Zeke, because I stole the scroll from him instead of talking to him.
    edited December 2012
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Maybe he got a special scroll :P ? Else I buy them in any temple..cost about a quarter of Zeke's price...
    But it's a vanilla bug afaik, at least if you leave the area and come back later - yet I did so in my game and she was still human and not re-petrified.
    edited December 2012
    Well, I remember that happened to me with other quests also in vanilla BG, that I stole something from NPC, but the transaction still occur.

I also noticed her standing in different place. But I haven´t moved her, as she wasn´t even recruited yet.

By the way, it didn´t happen immediately after I re-entered the area, but after like 3-4 times.
    @Mathuzzz, is it possible you pick-pocketed Zeke for the scroll? The script uses GiveItem to hand the scroll over, which doesn't work if he doesn't have the scroll.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Shandyr said:

By the way: Stealing from Zeke should be acknowledged somehow too.
    Because it does not make sense at all that he takes your 500 gold but you get nothing in return...

Yes, Zeke does have the scroll. Updated the bug report. Will take that into account.
    Options for fixing zeke:
    Runs away when scroll is missing
    Goes hostile when scroll is missing
    New dialog ("Hey, where's my scroll...must have left it over there somewhere."), runs away

Any other ideas?

Still looking at the Branwen issue.
    edited December 2012
    Good news: fixed the Zeke selling the scroll he doesn't have.
    Bad news: I've searched the scripts, and there isn't anything anywhere that petrifies Branwen. I'm thinking that this issue must be part of the spawn code (Branwen's CRE files have her spawn petrified) or some glitch in the engine. Not much I can do on my end.

As for the Zeke patch...

What has changed:
    * BRANWE.CRE/BRANWE5.CRE changed to have BRANWEN.BCS as the override script (not sure why this isn't already the case)
    * BRANWEN.BCS changed to set a global (BranwenRestored) when state is no longer STATE_STONE_DEATH
    * ZEKE.DLG changed to check for BranwenRestored, and respond correctly
    * ZEKE.DLG changed to check to see if he has the scroll when selling it to you. If he doesn't, he acts confused and runs away.

Note that I stole some generic text ("What? I don't...") for the last item so that there wouldn't need to be a change to dialog.tlk

Just unzip & put in your override folder - let me know if there is any trouble!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwOwEmwBQcTWWHUzajRVOGdwMVE
    Right now I have come to another NPC with similar issue. Dwarf Hafiz in right bottom map can gives you scroll of Protection from Magic, but if you steal it from him, he still acts like he´s giving it to you, but gives you nothing. I remember there were plenty of these cases, but I don´t think it is issue.

By the way, I tried the repaired files you uploaded. They worked, even though Zeke must have been really ashamed by not having the scroll as his "What? I don't..." voice hints :)
    Yeah, that is probably a systematic problem across all NPCs that give things, but I don't think it is a big deal unless they are taking money or something of value from you in exchange. Otherwise, you already have it, no harm no foul.

Plus I already had Zeke open for the Reality check bug :) I do think his reaction to not finding the scroll is funny...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I can confirm this happens. If you don't take her into your party, she walks off. If/when you return to the carnival, she is petrified (again). I didn't verify if her location was the same as it was, as that is not the sort of thing I'd remember.

I also didn't remember if the same thing happened in vanilla, essentially giving you a chance to have her join the party later if you change your mind.
    Can you say what dialog options you used to get her to go away? I'm not seeing that action anywhere in her code.
    If you don´t take her into party, she walks off, she won´t stay there. If I´m not mistaken, you either take her with you, or she leaves.
    I just tested it, and that is not the case. She never leaves the area.

If you do not take her into your party she stays there, and will not talk to you further.

Can you confirm that you are running the 2011 build?
    I just tested her, and you are right, she stays, but I was sure she walked away before.
    Another case:when you bring Samuel to Gellana to Friendly Arm Inn, she is supposed to give you some potions, which can be stolen before.
  • Please excuse me if this has been cited elsewhere. I looked but didn't see it listed.

My party recently returned to the Nashkel Carnival to see what we might'a forgotten that could be helpful to us as we were working thru Durlag's Tower.

While walking from tent to tent we noticed Branwen in stone - again!

We'd long ago come thru there and freed her and moved on to eliminate Tranzig also.

Interestingly, after we used our own Stone to Flesh Scroll on her to re-free her, she asked if we'd changed our minds and decided to invite her into the party.

Not a biggie but just seems something t'aint workin' right.

CKT
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    i dont know bout that but when my party freed her i had her join my party...aint dealt with tranzig yet though.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    I've been trying to reproduce this, but haven't been able to. The issues with Branwen should of been fixed in the 2012 patch.

Are you by chance using a save from a previous build?
  • AlexM said:

I've been trying to reproduce this, but haven't been able to. The issues with Branwen should of been fixed in the 2012 patch.

Are you by chance using a save from a previous build?

I don't think so but, at the risk of being ignorant, I can't be sure what you're asking cause I don't know what 'build' means in this context.

I usually have three saves;
    1) my most recent stay at an inn...
    2) my most recent save in whatever area I'm adventuring in and...
    3) a Quick Save. Other than those three and the auto save that's usually it.

Not sure that answered your question.

CT
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2013
    @CharlestonianTemplar

"Build" just means "version." Some fixes can't touch a savegame, so if you visited the carnival area before the 2012 patch and saved, then continued from that save, you might see the old bug.