Skip to content

BG1 NPCs

MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

First, I noticed that in the big list of "Thou Shalt Nots," one of the stipulations was that no NPC dialogue would be altered. Does that include adding dialogue? Because the one thing that would really sell BG:EE for me is if the BG1 NPCs were to have dialogue similar to in BG2. I know the BG1 NPC Project did that, and quite well (though they maybe skimped out a bit on some of the later characters), but it would be nice to see Overhaul's take on it as well.

At first glance, adding dialogue to existing NPCs seems like an implicit no-no, but seeing how new NPCs are being added, who presumably will have interactions with old NPCs, it must be happening to some extent, right?

Second, speaking of those later NPCs, are there any plans in the works to rebalance the BG1 NPCs a little bit? The only post-Bandit Camp NPC worth picking up is Coran. I mean, look at the options: Eldoth? Skie? Faldorn? Quayle? Tiax? I guess Yeslick and Alora aren't terrible, but if we're picking up an NPC that late in the game, we need some more incentive! Like at least give Quayle and Tiax some decent WIS! While they're at it, maybe spruce up some of the other NPCs too. I feel like Khalid and Garrick could use a bit of a boost.

Finally, any chance of importing BG1 NPCs? If I were to want to romp around Athkatla with Kivan and Safana, could that possibly happen? I know it's a long shot, but I have to ask.

EDIT: One question that I forgot: Any plans to add kits to the BG1 NPCs? Kivan the Archer, Ajantis the Cavalier, etc etc?
lars_rosenbergMoomintrollg314Suiboon

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    edited July 2012
    No adding to dialogue I do believe as this is seen as altering the original characters.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

First, I noticed that in the big list of "Thou Shalt Nots," one of the stipulations was that no NPC dialogue would be altered. Does that include adding dialogue? Because the one thing that would really sell BG:EE for me is if the BG1 NPCs were to have dialogue similar to in BG2. I know the BG1 NPC Project did that, and quite well (though they maybe skimped out a bit on some of the later characters), but it would be nice to see Overhaul's take on it as well.

Edge case. They can add dialogue as interactions with other content they're providing, but they can't create dialogue that will just generally be displayed in the game. Basically as you say in your next paragraph.

Second, speaking of those later NPCs, are there any plans in the works to rebalance the BG1 NPCs a little bit? The only post-Bandit Camp NPC worth picking up is Coran. I mean, look at the options: Eldoth? Skie? Faldorn? Quayle? Tiax? I guess Yeslick and Alora aren't terrible, but if we're picking up an NPC that late in the game, we need some more incentive! Like at least give Quayle and Tiax some decent WIS! While they're at it, maybe spruce up some of the other NPCs too. I feel like Khalid and Garrick could use a bit of a boost.
    Unlikely. There are mods that provide this functionality, however.

Finally, any chance of importing BG1 NPCs? If I were to want to romp around Athkatla with Kivan and Safana, could that possibly happen? I know it's a long shot, but I have to ask.

EDIT: One question that I forgot: Any plans to add kits to the BG1 NPCs? Kivan the Archer, Ajantis the Cavalier, etc etc?
    There's a big thread on this topic, in fact, but the devs haven't responded to it directly as yet.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @MilesBeyond Some of those NPCs do show up in Baldur's Gate 2, though. Edwin, Quayle, Ajantis (you kill him by accident), Coran and Safana (in one of the forest areas), Faldorn, Garrick, Xzar and Montaron, and Tiax shows up for a short time in Spellhold. (And no, Tiax hasn't gotten any less crazy in the meantime.)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I Consider adding NPC Interactions as the Ultimate Enhancement for bg1.. I truly feel that this is a missed chance to make Bg1 even more epic than ever before.

Maybe they can add NPC Interactions as post-ship DLC which might sweeten the bitter pill.

damn contracts.... just wanted to quote 'The Eagles':

Old Billy was right
    Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight

:-)

Necdilzorlars_rosenbergMoomintrollQuartz
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    I think Yeslick was great, I always swap him with Branwen.
    Moomintrollg314Dazzu
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As far as I know there WILL be some new lines added for old NPCs. Dave Gross (@Dave) was asking through twitter on who we think should get a new line of dialogue. His followers (me included) could decide that :)

Usually when I have a party, I always take Yeslick. He has an insane amount of HP, maybe the NPC with the best HP gains, Kagain aside.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    P.S Yeslick is canon in my partys, BG need more Grumpy Dwarfs NPCS!
    Moomintrollg314
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I need more Xzar! :D *is an obsessed Xzar fangirl*
    Cheesebelly
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Looking forward to seeing Tiax, Xan and Edwin meeting the 3 new NPCs. Should be good stuff.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud "Stop touching me!"

@seeka I think Dorn and Xan will become the best of friends... *rolls eyes*
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    @IchigoRXC HA! They're doomed. We all are. Granted having that sort of party would be like herding cats and at some point there's bound to be violence... Is it September yet?!?!?!?!?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @IchigoRXC: Exactly. :p Gosh, wish I had more free time to write a Baldur's Gate story. I got quite a good idea for Xzar's background. University's a pain in the behind at times. :/
    Cheesebelly
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    edited July 2012
    LadyRhian said:

@MilesBeyond Some of those NPCs do show up in Baldur's Gate 2, though. Edwin, Quayle, Ajantis (you kill him by accident), Coran and Safana (in one of the forest areas), Faldorn, Garrick, Xzar and Montaron, and Tiax shows up for a short time in Spellhold. (And no, Tiax hasn't gotten any less crazy in the meantime.)

Yeah, I knew that, which is why it's such a pipe dream. Could you imagine how utterly senseless the sidequests would become if you showed up in Chateau Irenicus with Quayle and Xzar?

Aerie: "Uncle Quayle! You're oka-HOLY JUMPING MOTHER OF GOD THERE'S TWO OF YOU!"

I didn't know about Coran and Safana, though. Nice find.

The main reason why it would be cool is to get rid of that immersion-breaking transition between the games, you know? You and your band of cut-throats including Kagain, Shar-Teel, Edwin, Viconia and Montaron are travelling around Baldur's Gate only to learn that the entire time, they've been Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir in disguise!

What could solve that, actually, is if they made it out so that you were captured alone. Jonny picked up Imoen for plot-spoiling reasons, and the others were just palling around with her, or something. I don't know. It's a tough nut to crack.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Miles Beyond- Yeah, i think the quest had to do with Wolfweres (wolves who can take on human form, as opposed to Werewolves- humans who can take on wolf form). Coran approaches you, asking to help him and Safana escape the wolfweres, and if you agree to help, he takes you to their cabin. Unbeknownst to him, Safana has been working with the Wolfweres and wants to help them kill you. The Wolfweres, finding Coran with you, think she's doublecrossed them and kill her and attack you.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Adding more BG2-style banters is definitely highly demanded for BGEE. Also, Imoen desperately needs some. She doesn't even say anything about your rep, unless it's very low.
    edited July 2012

@IchigoRXC: Exactly. :p Gosh, wish I had more free time to write a Baldur's Gate story. I got quite a good idea for Xzar's background. University's a pain in the behind at times. :/

Oh this I am very interested in. When BGEE rolls around I want to make an evil team and Xzar is going to be a very handy necromancer. I love the necromancer class, and loved looking into the complete book of Necromancers to see there is so much more that could be done with them. :D

@MilesBeyond if we could have Tiax brought to Irenicus' dungeon, I wouldn't imagine it would take him long before he started attacking the Cowled Wizards and getting himself sent to spellhold. This would also give me more of a reason to go to spellhold, Imoen is not my favourite character in the world, but Tiax is as Tiax does.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I would love for a way to save Xzar other than denying his quest. And mostly likely have him as a party member again and possibly Montaron too...
    But he might be too far gone to revive?
    Dazzu
    I would love to have monty back, gives the evil team a nice thief to go through BG2 with (a request in many a thread)
    Dazzu
  • ItachouItachou Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    Add some personal quests to the old BG1 NPCs in BGEE, the new NPCs are far too favored right now, a romance and a great personal quest with a new place only for them, the other old NPCs have less flavor now both for old and new players.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Personally I always thought that certain BG1 characters making cameo appearances in BG2 was a bit silly. It was awesome to see some of them again, but at the same time, it is very odd that so many of them just DECIDED to head to Amn.
    I would love to see some character updates, and if the devs aren't allowed to add much, then I'd love to see the mods revamped to work with this game.
    I think better continuity would be very important. I personally don't like using Dynaheir or Khalid... Jaheira is kinda awesome, but I wouldn't mind slipping her out for someone else every now and again. Minsc is just loved by everyone!
    I really hope they make it so certain NPCs have more... immersion into the story so that if we ended BG1 with them, we at least know what became of them if they refused to follow us to Amn... I want Shar-Teel, Safana and Branwen to follow me :(
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Yeah, I knew that, which is why it's such a pipe dream. Could you imagine how utterly senseless the sidequests would become if you showed up in Chateau Irenicus with Quayle and Xzar?

Aerie: "Uncle Quayle! You're oka-HOLY JUMPING MOTHER OF GOD THERE'S TWO OF YOU!"

Actually, that would explain a lot! Like how he suddenly wasn't an ass anymore, and how he teleported from Baldur's Gate to Atkathla to raise an Avariel girl and start a circus in just a few weeks.

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Could it have been that he had known her for a while and that he just happened to be wandering during BG1?
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Drugar said:

Actually, that would explain a lot! Like how he suddenly wasn't an ass anymore, and how he teleported from Baldur's Gate to Atkathla to raise an Avariel girl and start a circus in just a few weeks.

Yeah, of all the NPC cameos in BG2, Quayle is by far the worst. Garrick and Xzar are at least to character. With Quayle really the only possible conclusion is that it's a different Quayle. Either that or you were locked up in Chateau Irenicus for, like, five years.