Skip to content

A challenge from Jaxsbudgie!

toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
After reading a challenge thread from @Jaxsbudgie, I decided to perform the challenge myself. Pretty cool idea, check his thread out for the original.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge

Here are the rules I followed:
- No reloading except game crash and main character death
- If any NPCs die, they stay dead! No raise dead/resurrect spells for your party members.

Added Bonus (my own idea):
- I put the girdle of sex change on whomever I bet is the next one to die (I "mark" them). I do not act suicidal with these characters, however they seem to die a lot once their gender has been changed.

Here we go!

Start of my first playing session:
- Started, Half-Orc Cleric/Thief
- Got Imoen
- Got Xzar and Montaron
- Got Khalid and Jaheira
- "Marked" Xzar
- Xzar killed by spider in Landrin's House
- Got Garrick
- "Marked" Garrick
- Garrick killed by random encounter skeletons traveling from South of Beregost to High Hedge
- "Marked" Khalid
- Khalid killed by Gnoll Slasher near of High Hedge
At this point I really started wondering if this cursed belt was more cursed than just gender swap, since it really is a death-magnet.
- "Marked" Jaheria
- Main character died at Basillus twice, reloaded twice

End of my first playing session.

Start of my second playing session:
- Jaheira killed by Basillus
After this death Montaron shouted out "Fool! Now we'll need another mule!" I also decided not to mark anyone for a bit in the hopes of keeping my party alive.
- Got Kagain.
- Got Dorn
- Main character died to kobolds in Nashkel mines (right after the spiders on level 3), reloaded
- Tried to recruit Xan, he refused (jerk) so I killed him.

After killing Mulahey, I've killed off two possible Wizards, one of the two bards, one healer and a fighter, I could be doing much worse. I picked my main character as a cleric/thief so that I would always have trap disarming and healing on hand to save my party in emergencies. Dorn is fragile, but he and Kagain might last a while. Since Xan didn't join me, I suppose it is time to mark someone...let's hope I don't jinx it!

- "Marked" Montaron
- Montaron killed by Maneira (exit from Nashkel mines, poison darts....stupid gender belt!!!)
- Dorn killed by Telka (I was going to "mark" him next but I didn't get a chance to loot Montaron yet. Oh well)

End of my second playing session.

Start of third session
- Got Branwen
- Got Minsc (payed lots of money at temple to get my reputation decent)
- Minsc killed by Nimbul (F**K!!!)
- Got Rasaad (he was right there, and I figured I need a 5th and 6th. So who for my 6th??)
- "Marked" Rasaad (inevitable)

Pretty crappy session so far, time to go get Dynaheir and then I can talk to Edwin without having to kill her.

- Rasaad chatted me up, and I realized that I never looted the Cleric ring off of Mulahey...it probably vanished by now...FML
- Rasaad killed by Delgod (Sendai's archer, big surprise there)
- Got the gloves of dexterity for Kagain, he is pretty tanky now! Next session--Die-naheir!!

End of third session.

I'll update once-twice a week, thanks again Jaxsbudgie for the idea!
Post edited by toanwrath on
IllustairNeonfiskSirK8Anduin

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    If I were to name this playthrough of yours, I'd call it Final Destination.
    toanwrathH0RSEXavioria
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Illustair said:

I never thought of it that way! Now every time I watch Final Destination I will expect/demand gender swaps every twenty minutes or so!
    Illustair
  • satyrionsatyrion Member Posts: 104
    Who is this Jaxsbudgie of which you speak of
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Not sure if you're trolling. But he's the OP for the thread http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13197/minimal-reload-zero-resurrection-challenge ; a link was even provided by @toanwrath
    toanwrath
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    Illustair said:

Only if each subsequent death is more elaborate and ridiculous than the last...

toanwrathIllustair
    H0RSE said:

Illustair said:

Only if each subsequent death is more elaborate and ridiculous than the last...

Garrick being killed by random encounter skeletons with darts was pretty ridiculous lol. I only hope that kobolds and oozes and gibberlings kill the rest
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Jaxsbudgie challenge, suuuuure. It almost seems like you are gathering material for flesh golem: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15489/add-golem-creation
    SirK8
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Illustair
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    edited February 2013
    Now that someone has mentioned it - that belt does seem to get the wearer killed! Dorn(a) has died several times...

Perhaps Dorna is not comfortable with her feminine side, hmmm? ;)

*deep baritone* "You want Dorna, NOW!"
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Wow. You killed half of the main recruitable cast in just two sessions...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Illustair

Since I've only got three people in party currently, next is Branwen, Minsc and Dynaheir. I have a feeling Minsc won't last as long as I want, but I won't mark him just yet.
    Illustair
    Bhaaldog said:

People let there party members die? Viconia would never forgive me! And Imoen, she is your sister...

Generally no, I reload or go raise dead every time. This time I am, in spirit of the challenge. It was tough watching Montaron and Dorn die in the same fight I'll admit, I was pretty butt hurt.

Updated for a brief third session, more to follow! Now that Kagain is pretty survivable, I think I might have a game-long tank :-D
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @toanwrath - this is a fun challenge, I'm doing the same thing, also inspired by @Jaxbudgie's thread. I've found that it't really driving me to play with NPCs and NPC combinations that I never have before
    toanwrathIllustairWanderon
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited February 2013
    Next time I play. I'm gonna follow the path of Jax's budgie...

@toanwrath ... Concerned you are going to be playing a solo game soon...

Can I enquire on your tactics?

Are you using sanctuary to scout ahead?

What is your thief's skill dump? Find traps or pick locks? (and what skill are you maxing on Imoen?)

Are you going to use the cheese method of killing Drizzt?

Where is the slider set for difficulty?

You do realise that the belt of gender swapping is cursed? That your depriving your squishiest of a belt slot that could save them?

Look forward to further dramatic NPC deaths!

EDIT: Typo
    Anduin said:

Next time I play. I'm gonna follow the path of Jax's budgie...

@toanwrath ... Concerned you are going to be playing a solo game soon...

Can I enquire on your tactics?

Are you using sanctuary to scout ahead?

What is your thief's skill dump? Find traps or pick locks? (and what skill are you maxing on Imoen?)

Are you going to use the cheese method of killing Drizzt?

Where is the slider set for difficulty?

You do realise that the belt of gender swapping is cursed? That your depriving your squishiest of a belt slot that could save them?

Look forward to further dramatic NPC deaths!

EDIT: Typo

I am also concerned about this game, but I have a feeling it will stay me Imoen and Kagain for a while since they haven't died yet :-D

1. Tactics aren't any different for this game for me, archers in back tanks in front, lure the enemies away one at a time to pick them off. I probably could be playing a bit safer, but I also seem to be getting very unlucky because the enemies roll a lot of 19's.

2. Yes I am using Sanctuary actually, I used it for Mulahey, Basillus, and Zeela's warriors (and still lost two there :-( )

3. My main thief is all about open lock, and then he is moving to set trap. Imoen, who has not really come too close to death yet, is about find trap and then I might dual her over to Mage. If she dies, my main thief will have some issues but I can grind to work it out.

4. If by cheese you mean traps than absolutely! That mithril chain looks better everyday, and if I have to resort to Safana she already has one pip in scimitar.

5. As per usual, Normal difficulty for me. I am a wimp and clearly am not good at this game, though I do enjoy it.

6. Yes but the only other decent belts I have are being used. The girdle of bluntness is on my main character since blunt attacks don't care about metal armies from what I hear, and the girdle of piercing is on Imoen because of her crap AC. When the enemies are rolling 19's I don't think those 3 or 4 points would have saved my buddies.

I look forward to providing more dramatic NPC deaths!

I already started next session, and looks like a certain wizard lives up to her name...
    SirK8