Skip to content

I just finger of death a dragon in BG2

2»

Comments

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Cool! I always thought the boss creatures were immune against all the straightforward instant-kill effects. :)
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    I have fond memories of Firkraag and now Sarevok just standing around staring at space after a nice casting of Chaos.
    Wilbur
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    DJKajuru said:

In 3rd edition , as far as I remember, dragons would have fortitude saves sufficiently high to resist any fingers!

A natural 20 to SR is always a hit, and a natural 1 is still always a failed save.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    I dont think saving rolls automatically succeed or fail in BG though. I don't think that was ever implemented.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    moopy said:

I dont think saving rolls automatically succeed or fail in BG though. I don't think that was ever implemented.

Actually you can automatically succeed.
    Ex: Potion of Magic Shielding that makes you automatically succeed every saving-throw, simply boost them.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353

moopy said:

Actually you can automatically succeed.
    Ex: Potion of Magic Shielding that makes you automatically succeed every saving-throw, simply boost them.
    moopy wasn't saying that you couldn't become able to autosucceed. He was saying that the 3rd edition rule where a natural 20 or natural 1 was always a succes or failure respectively, wasn't implemented in BG. Oddly enough it applies to saves and to hit rolls and spell resistance checks and not much else. Whether or not it was implemented in BG though I have no idea (except for nat 20 on to hit)
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    It's funny when it happens. I killed the one in Chapter 7 using Finger of Death. I'm thinking "Worth a shot", fire it and BAM, dead. Stared at the screen confused for a few seconds.
    Meh. I wouldn't mind if the dragons were immune to these kind of chenanigans... At least by "death ward" so that we would have to dispel that before doing the magic fingers :P

But I have to say that I had a fantastic fight against Firkraag where we were 6 people at a lan party playing a character each. By the end of the fight only three man were left standing: The bhaalspawn cleric tank, me as party wizard, and a sorceror who hadn't really influenced the fight... Or so we thought. The sorceror had unknown to the rest of us spent the time casting greater malison and the like and he ended the fight with a disintegrate :D (Luckily no treasure was disintegrated)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I honestly feel bad how many people have parents that make them feel awkward. My parents are just loving and fun. Hell, they make more dirty jokes than I do, for instance...
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @SpaceInvader

That isn't automatically making your save on a 20 or automatically failing on a 1. Which I'm almost positive wasn't implemented for saving throws. That is being immune, or raising your saves so high that you will always make it, even on a 1, which was exactly my point.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    Quartz said:

I honestly feel bad how many people have parents that make them feel awkward. My parents are just loving and fun. Hell, they make more dirty jokes than I do, for instance...

I don't know man, I think if I ever got to the point where talking about my skill in digital stimulation (or lack thereof, in my case) around my mom wasn't awkward, I'd be a lot more concerned by that than I ever was with the awkwardness itself.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    styggaMykramonico
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Ever played monk with quivering palm? I played once with my brother on LAN. He was preparing to fight adalon with our evil group, and all of a sudden: Adalon - dead, ah seeing his face in this moment was priceless.

Or at the end of hordes of the underdark when fighting mephistopheles, i had a pale master/sorcerer. Wasted all my spells on him, without doing any significant damage. He was barely injured, and in desperation i threw all my remaining phantasmal killer spells on him. Well double 1 roll on his saving throw, cost his life on my first killer.
    DJKajuru
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    A combo of Greater Malison, Lower Resistance and Finger of Death is pretty much the only way I ever killed dragons in BG2. I didn't know it was so unusual.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    It's actually pretty common, even Abazigal is vulnerable to instant-death attacks (spells OR weapons) in his dragon form. It's more of an achievement to kill them with a chromatic orb. Chromatic orb has a +6 save bonus (REALLY bad), meaning you have to slap all the save penalties you can stack just to have a chance at it working. Meanwhile Finger of Death has a ...-4 save penalty if memory serves, giving it a reasonable chance of working even without save debuffs.

I've consistently 1 shotted Firkraag using the Silver Sword 4 games in a row before. (doesn't work every time of course, but 4 in a row is my highest streak so far for 1 shot-kills).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Quartz said:

I don't know man, I think if I ever got to the point where talking about my skill in digital stimulation (or lack thereof, in my case) around my mom wasn't awkward, I'd be a lot more concerned by that than I ever was with the awkwardness itself.
    Ahh yes, the classic response that my family has issues because we know how to laugh things off. Truly, classic.

This is getting too personal (which was my fault to begin with) so I'm done here. My posts sounded too insulting anyway, which I apologize for @moopy, I'm sorry. You were just making a joke and I overanalyzed. This is not a blanket apology though; @TJ_Hooker, I have no apology for you. Your degrading post is just as bad as mine were.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    Quartz said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Quartz said:

Ahh yes, the classic response that my family has issues because we know how to laugh things off. Truly, classic.

This is getting too personal (which was my fault to begin with) so I'm done here. My posts sounded too insulting anyway, which I apologize for @moopy, I'm sorry. You were just making a joke and I overanalyzed. This is not a blanket apology though; @TJ_Hooker, I have no apology for you. Your degrading post is just as bad as mine were.
    I don't see your family mentioned anywhere in my post. I was just saying that I, personally, am fine with not being comfortable talking/joking about subjects like that around my family (or that I even prefer it that way). I fail to see anything "degrading" about what I said.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    moopy said:

You fingered the dragon to death?

That's sexual harassment.

That sounds so wrong but who am I to judge. :)

SCARY_WIZARDmoopy
    Pfft. Fingering the dragon is so not sexual harrasment unless the dragon dislikes it :P
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Lifat said:

Pfft. Fingering the dragon is so not sexual harrasment unless the dragon dislikes it :P

That is if there is a dislike button.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Quartz said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Quartz said:

Why are you suddenly turning all emo last day over a few posts?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Let's keep the off-topic discussion to the Off-Topic subforum, people. I don't want to close this thread, especially since no one's really breaking any rules, but try to keep the discussion to the subject of the thread.

I'd also like to remind people that these forums are PG-13 (as stated in the site rules), which means that there could very well be children browsing these threads. Try to keep the discussions a little more "teen-friendly".
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2013
    Calmar said:

Cool! I always thought the boss creatures were immune against all the straightforward instant-kill effects. :)

During the last battle of the black pits, I petrified Baeloth with a chromatic orb. I didn't even know it could do that! After all of that story buildup of how 'powerful' he was, he instantly died within 3 seconds of the battle! Anticlimactic, but hilarious

*added spoiler alert

ErgmlneveseEudaemonium