Skip to content

Planescape: Damnation

2»

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Even with it spilling out, things are still vastly better with the Blood War than they would be without it.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Chow That's fine, let the Blood War rage on. Doesn't mean that there isn't good to be done within the War, right?

A game involving TNO going Yojimbo-mode in the middle of the Blood War would be awesome.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Damn, I think you just gave me an idea for a higher-level D&D adventure to run.
    Madhax
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Madhax
    if you are interested w/ the Blood War & unfamiliar w/ the Hellbound: the Bloodwar, give it a look (if you can find it--it is 2nd ed. AD&D)
    this module/campaign was my introduction to Planescape...great stuff
    Madhax
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @rexreg
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my interest in PnP D&D isn't nearly as high as the computer games using D&D rules and settings, but should I find myself in a position to play some again, I'll give that campaign a shot.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Madhax said:

I'm not sure I agree. The way I see it, the only flaw in his original plan of immortality giving him time for penance was the flawed ritual that caused him to repeatedly lose his memories. If he could find a way to retain his immortality while preventing the memory loss as a good incarnation, wouldn't he then be able to lead a good life and make amends for his sins?

There is a point where the game implies that TNO's immortality was screwing with the planes in some wonky way. While it may be vague my impression was that the memory loss and the shadows were irrevocably tied to the immortality. Plus TNO's mortality would still be loose, his whole existence as an immortal was unstable for him and anyone near him.

@Chow

It is true that the vagueness of TNO's past selves sins can make you question whether or not he really deserved to wind up in the Blood War, but the sad fact is that he carries the weight of all his past selves, they never really went away as was confirmed in the crypt thingy before the final encounter with his mortality, so I think he was judged as his whole self, not just his most recent self.

This is all speculative of course, I think both you guys raise good points.

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Madhax said:

Chow said:

Wow, dodged a bullet there, that would've been completely antithetical to the game.

Why? I think the game showed perfectly well that everyone can be redeemed.

Remember Curst, and Trias? You'd have thought it would've been hopeless for both cases, for the city and the angel, but everybody deserves a second chance, and everyone can change. Remember how Ravel was changed just by meeting the protagonist the first time? See how different Dak'kon, Nordom, or Fall-From-Grace is from their typical racial archetypes?

Belief can change the nature of a man. If those things, all of them basically soaked with an element of chaos, law, good, or evil, up to their very core, can change to something entirely different and flip their lives around... then why could you not earn your happy ending?
    I'm not arguing against redemption, in fact the "good" ending covers that pretty well.

My problem, and correct if I am forgetting something, is that there is not situation where TNO can come out this smelling like roses. His redemption comes primarily from the fact that he willingly takes back his mortality, killing him in the process since he has already lived far too long. I don't know of a way he could be redeemed while still retaining his immortality.

I'm not sure I agree. The way I see it, the only flaw in his original plan of immortality giving him time for penance was the flawed ritual that caused him to repeatedly lose his memories. If he could find a way to retain his immortality while preventing the memory loss as a good incarnation, wouldn't he then be able to lead a good life and make amends for his sins?

TNO is only immortal because every time he 'dies' some random person is selected to die in his place. The Fortress of Regrets is filled with countless shadows of all the people who have died instead of TNO.

I don't see any way the TNO could retain that kind of immortality and justify it as being a good act.

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I just stumbled upon this one by accident. Anyone knows something if it is still being under development?

There are awfully low amount of information about this project to be found on web. And I miss my PST:(