Skip to content

Unkillable werewolf

Comments

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    You need weapons flagged as cold iron. Off the top of my head: Sword of Balduran, Kondar (there are 2), the Burning Earth.
    Oh, and most touch spells are flagged as cold iron as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sorry 'bout that. Thread got merged. Promise I didn't skip everything y'all wrote :). Forgot the dagger :/

BTW, just checked and there is no longer a second Kondar, at least where it was before.
  • AuznerAuzner Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    I have a level 8 party with +2 and +3 weapons and none of them will hurt this greater wolfwere. I don't remember how to fight these creatures, but I was pretty sure in BG1 +2 weapons were universal problem solvers. I keep spamming him with magic missiles and wand of the heavens, but he will regenerate pretty damn fast.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Silver weapons?
  • AuznerAuzner Member Posts: 2
    I have paid for this game twice, with promises that this edition is more polished. I believe people who independently find the same bugs should keep top posting.

There's a "silver dagger" but it's just better THAC0 vs. lycanthropes. I don't think it has a special script to stop the regen. I'll reload and try that though.

Story wise, I'm able to proceed using Shadow Keeper: my tank got 10k hp and my mages were bumped to level 20 with 10 magic missiles memorized. All that plus the wand of the heavens he finally died!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    @Auzner

It's not supposed to stop the regeneration, those 3(or better 4) weapons, which do exist with the special attribute 'vs. Shapeshifter' have also the hidden attribute Cold Iron/Silver. Further those 'Greater Werewolfs' have complete immunity to all (!) weapons including magical ones, but not if the Weapon is of the material 'silver'.
    And only these weapons are able to overcome the damage immunity.

- Bastard Sword vs. Shapeshifter -> Aldeth in Cloakwood, either kill him or help him, do his quest later in BG and you'll get it
    - same item, different place: can be found in Ulgoths Beard, I think in the right house
    - Silver Dagger (you already know where to find ^^)
    - Bastard Sword of Balduran -> on the same level, where you have to fight the Greater Wolfwere, either in the box or the table - can't remembe

Even if only one of your chars, has such a weapon and is capable to deliver at least one decent hit per round, that's enough to at least negate the regeneration and do further damage. And every magical damage (fire, cold/whatever) does also only 50% damage thanks to their elemental resistance ^^
    Despite their low hitpoints, if you don't do steady damage, they regenerate faster than you can damage it.

I think arrows, which do elemental damage should work too..haven't tried though.

if that helps....
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's most probably a bug, the same one from BG2 in fact.

Luckily, it's not nearly as bad as the one from Windspear hills dungeon (since you reload way more there), where the Greater Wolfwere can positively regenerate 50 health per second.

Trick is - it doesn't have a lot of health, so concentrate all attacks at once. Have your fighters attack with potions of strength. Once you see two hitting them, start using spells - magic missiles, vampiric touch and last but DEFINITELY not least, Flame Strike are super effective damagers. Wand of Heavens is a godsend (pun intended), since solo clerics can't really hit neither the Greater Wolfwere nor Loup Garous (not counting Kaishas Gan)

I believe, statistically, Greater Wolfweres "just" regenerate 2 health per second (or was it per half round?). They aren't invulnerable, they are VERY VERY POWERFUL!

Loup Garous don't regenerate at all though.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    I think it's 5HP/round .. but haven't found the attribute in the tables, only someone mentioned it.

But I do remember the Windspears Hills stuff, IMO it got addressed in Baldurdash and similar. Problem was the ring, that stimulate their regeneration (2hp/s in BG2), which with every reload stacked.
    The same item in BGEE is (or should be?^^) fixed and this problem should not occur. But the damage resistance is different, I think in BG2 you just needed +x whatever items to damage it, while in BGEE you need specific weapons.

And if let's say only 1 NPC in your party has decent thac0 to hit that thingie (-6 AC) then it'd be enough to at least 'neutralize' the 6hp/round. Oddly enough 3 weapons are bastard swords, and usually only a few take this proficiency (or have Ajantis^^) and no prof = -5 penalty. Else it's only the puny dagger...
  • VoidSorcererVoidSorcerer Member Posts: 33
    The Greater Wolfwere inside the ship of Balduran - Kruug or something to that effect - is unkillable because his health regeneration rate is set so high. I am able to reduce him to injured, but within 5 seconds his health rate has returned to "uninjured".

I saw that this was a reported bug for the Greater Wolfwere when you are attempting to leave the island - but it seems to effect all of them.

If there are any known solutions or fixes, please let me know ASAP as my party is stuck on the misserable island with no way of returning home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    This guy is killable. 2 or the 3 weapons are on the island. Give your casters a wands and have at it. The key is do as much damage as possible at the same time (multiple wands etc).

What helps is to keep your party outside then clear up, when you get to the top level go down the stairs right away and continue down. They get stuck on stairs. This weeds out enemies so that you only deal with 1 or 2 at a time.
  • VoidSorcererVoidSorcerer Member Posts: 33
    So...

Potions of Regeneration/Storm Giant Strength and the Sword of Balduran on Il Khan
    Potions of Dexterity/Fire Giant Strength and Dagger on the monk
    2 Magic Missles spells from Neera
    2 blasts from Magic Missle Wand from Imoen
    2 Wand of Heavens blast from Viconia
    2 Chromatic Orb spells from CharName (Druid, Avenger)

Bless/Chant/Haste on all members of the party

That's what I used to defeat the Greater Wolfwere - fighting him solo after eliminating all other wolfweres.

A bit excessive?
    No

Do I feel that it was a complete waste of potions/wand useage?
    Yes

Do I feel that he SHOULD require this much effort when Seravok doesn't even merrit such?
    Probably not.

Do I think his regeneration should be looked at and turned to something resonable?
    Yes - but as it is beatable, it's not an immediate fix.

Also, all of ya'll who said it was easy realize you all had at least two wizards? I had 1 - and it was NOT as easy when you don't have that much firepower. I should think the fight impossible without a mage. That should be looked into because it is not uncommon for me to play this game w/o a mage, just to add a little bit of difficulty.
  • WolvssWolvss Member Posts: 6
    After initially not being able to touch this guy... I read this thread and equipped my 7/7 Fighter/Mage with the Flametongue sword (Drizzt's Twinkle in OH). Didn't have Balduran's Sword... Gave Khalid (with Gauntlets of Ogre Power) the Silver Dagger, but he didn't get a hit in anyway.

Don't forget the Wolfsbane amulet you're given before the ship...

I don't pay too much attention to numbers, but with AC -10 and Mirror Images, I took no damage in the three hits it took to kill the Greater Wolfwere (mid-20 damage per hit). Not sure if the Amulet made my OH hit him as well, but he dropped in less than 10 seconds.

Pretty sure any fighter should be able to manage it with ease similarly to my F/M. Couple of potions (Frost Giant Str, Heroism) and it's not an issue.

Much easier than Sarevok, IMO, once you know what weapons actually work to hit it.
  • solar_onesolar_one Member Posts: 12
    To get it corrected [then]:

Werewolves are Lycanthropes and are immune to all but silver and non-magical weapons (so these creatures should be wearing an immunity ring to use an existing "non-silver, non-magical" immunity setting). Not sure it works – I’ll test it.

Wolfweres are Antherions [should be added] and are immune to all but cold iron and non-magical weapons (so these creatures should be wearing immunity ring to use a non-existing "non-cold iron, non-magical" immunity setting).

This means the silver dagger can have the cold iron flag unchecked as it should - and can even be non-magical - and damage lycanthropes but not antherions. As a +1 dagger though – it can damage antherions, but not get the lycanthrope damage bonus. I’m trying to fix this with EasyTutu, but it is a challenge to get this to all work [PnP] correct-like!

Also, both are NOT humanoid - they should both be set to monster!
  • LennisLennis Member Posts: 34
    Well, this battle was a real wake-up call. I don't remember the TotSW Greater Wolfwere being this hard. After many attempts, I managed a win using the following tactic (with a level 7 party):

Had Neera cast Greater Malision to reduce enemy saves and followed up with a confusion spell. The GWW was effected and went down the stairs on its own. I cleaned up the rest of the small fry and healed/buffed as needed before engaging the GWW on the lower level, sending Charname down first.

Gave Charname fighter the +4 dagger (not proficient), potions of firebreathing, and a cloud giant strength potion. I alternated firebreathing potions with regular 23 STR attacks. Charname scored two criticals, doing 20+ damage each strike in addition to the 10+ damage from the potions.

Had Neera use "The Victor" magic ring first, then cast magic missile. The Victor works similar to the second-level spell "Aganaar's Scorcher" in that it hits more than once, except with no saving throw. Kept alternating between that and magic missile to maintain a steady stream of damage.

Had Imoen (single-class thief) use a wand of magic missiles.

Had Jaheira healing Charname as needed.

Kept Khalid and Rasaad out of the fight.

(I didn't use Balduran's Sword because I hadn't identified it, and I had forgotten what the item was. Had I given that to Khalid, the battle would have been somewhat easier. That said, this is still a very challenging fight with only Neera for a spellcaster. Truthfully, it was Charname's crits that made the difference.)
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    I loaded up vanilla BG1 the other day and tested it out and +3 weapons were ineffective against him. The only things that hurt him was the bastard sword with + against shape shifting, the silver dagger that is on the boat, the sword of baldurian, and the flame tounge.

I'd say if anything this fight should be easier in BG:EE because you can trick the GWW downstairs and separate him and his allies some what.

@VoidSorcerer

I killed him only using two fighters. One with the sword of baldurian, and one with the were dagger. I had other characters healing and providing buffs. I had them each drink a potion of power and + str potions and any other potion I had that would help. The difficulty was normal so that helped.

A Cleric can solo him easily using Glyphs of Warding.
  • cbohman33cbohman33 Member Posts: 1
    I retreated back to the cabin to heal/rest once I had killed all the wolfweres except karoug.....once i returned to the ship he was gone and is no where to be found. I seem to be stuck on the island as once I return to the village the leader asks if I have killed all the beasts and the only response option is no. Any idea what happened or how to get off the island? All my saves are on the island.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    edited January 2013
    @cbohman33

I think you can force attack the leader to continue.
  • CLBBoothCLBBooth Member Posts: 3
    There's more than one way to skin a . . uh . . greater werewolf. Here's how I killed him:

Before entering the area (with pause on enemy sighted turned on)

I equiped 4 party members each with a Potion of Firebreath.
    Gave my mage 3 scrolls of Horror.
    I turned my mages familiar invisible.

Then entered the area and just after the conversation ends, but before Karoug turns to a werewolf, I parked my invisible familiar in front of Karoug which blocked him from getting at my party.

I then cast Horror on the remaining werewolves repeatedly until most were running scared. It was easy from there to pick off each werewolf.

Then I healed up and put the 4 party members with the potions of Firebreath in position . I moved my familiar out of the way. Karoug attacked and I hit him with all the potions at once, overwhelming his regen and dropping him like a sack of rotten tomatoes.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    @VoidSorcerer TotSC was added after BG, and a lot of people first got a taste of it via loading a final save from the mission pack option. So Sarevok should technically be fought before Furry Isle or Aec'letec. It's kind of like clearing Watcher's Keep during SoA.....in chapter 2....it makes the whole rest of the game feel like a joke by comparison due to all the xp and awesome gear you got out of it.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Nukenin said:

It really sounds like the good ol' greater wolfwere regen stacking bug is still present. I think normally they regenerate like 18hp per round, but if you reload a map with a greater wolfwere their regen doubles to 36hp per round, and so forth. Not sure of the specifics, but I've definitely been bitten by the bug in some old games of BG2 (in Firkraag's dungeon I think).

This may be one encounter where the "no reloads" crowd has the edge on the rest of us. :)

I had that experience in Firkraag's dungeon too with army of one(+ Simulacrum). It would be a tough fight if I didn't have Flesh to Stone.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    valky said:

@Auzner

It's not supposed to stop the regeneration, those 3(or better 4) weapons, which do exist with the special attribute 'vs. Shapeshifter' have also the hidden attribute Cold Iron/Silver. Further those 'Greater Werewolfs' have complete immunity to all (!) weapons including magical ones, but not if the Weapon is of the material 'silver'.
    And only these weapons are able to overcome the damage immunity.

- Bastard Sword vs. Shapeshifter -> Aldeth in Cloakwood, either kill him or help him, do his quest later in BG and you'll get it
    - same item, different place: can be found in Ulgoths Beard, I think in the right house
    - Silver Dagger (you already know where to find ^^)
    - Bastard Sword of Balduran -> on the same level, where you have to fight the Greater Wolfwere, either in the box or the table - can't remembe

Even if only one of your chars, has such a weapon and is capable to deliver at least one decent hit per round, that's enough to at least negate the regeneration and do further damage. And every magical damage (fire, cold/whatever) does also only 50% damage thanks to their elemental resistance ^^
    Despite their low hitpoints, if you don't do steady damage, they regenerate faster than you can damage it.

I think arrows, which do elemental damage should work too..haven't tried though.

if that helps....
    This weapon also has the "cold iron" attribute:

Flame Tongue - The Burning Earth Long Sword +1 / Special: +2 vs. regenerating creatures, +3 vs. cold-using creatures, +4 vs. undead
    SW1H24.ITM

I've provided a list of all items I'm aware of that have the "Cold Iron" attribute here (and also one which has the "Silver" attribute, but not "cold iron"):
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14394/complete-list-of-weapons-with-cold-iron-ability-vs-werewolves-spoilers#latest

I've also listed some (probably not all) of the spells that have the "Cold Iron" attribute
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    I managed to kill him using a Polymorph spell. Can't remember if it was a wand or memorised, but once he got turned into a fluffy bunny he went down real fast with just the Dagger :)