Skip to content

[BG2:EE] Remove dreams

Dreams in BG2 are not as atmospheric as their BG1 counterparts, they are repetitive and it takes a lot of time to skip them. There should be an option to instantly skip them.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    srvk said:

Dreams in BG2 are not as atmospheric as their BG1 counterparts

I agree, dreams in BG2 are not as atmospheric as their BG1 counterparts.

In fact, dreams in BG2 are more atmospheric than their BG1 counterparts. Why someone may want to skip them is beyond me.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited February 2013
    I slightly prefer BG1 dreams too, BUT I understand that some people might think otherwise.
    I also would't like to have some content cut out from the game. It is Enhanced Edition after all.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I get antsy when I'm looking at a wall of text while someone narrates it to me. It's like when someone makes a Powerpoint presentation and is simply reading text off of the screen.

The BG2 dreams were much more visually striking, and happened to be responsible for much of the characterization of Jon Irenicus. I wouldn't dare skip them, and I'm also looking forward to any tweaking/improving that Overhaul might have in mind along the same vein as improving the Gorion vs. Sarevok fight.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    Id'd still prefer an option to skip them after they've been shown once (similar to how video's are handled in BG1). Unlike the BG1 Dreams there no tangible benefits for doing them and none of the choices you make in them makes a lick of difference, aside from the one post-Spellhold. And unlike the BG1 dreams, there's no skip button currently.

I also think the game would be a lot more interesting without those, "and now here's what the villain is up to" scenes in BG2...(in ToB the ones with Sendai are funny as hell watching her getting more and more annoyed at her underlings F'ing up before she realizes WHO is attacking her base and freaks the $^%# out, which should definitely be left in), but the ones in SoA completely ruin the surprise that Irenicus is disguised as the director (mean sure the voice is a bit of a give away, but that at least could've been since BG re-uses VAs, but the 3rd scene clearly shows he's taken over long before you get there and is expecting you, largely giving away that you're going to get betrayed no matter which side you choose). BG1 left an element of surprize involved since you didn't know what that Armored Ass-hat who killed your mentor is up to until just a little before the final confrontation and whether or not you could stumble into him at any time.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Do it and I will kill you all.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

Id'd still prefer an option to skip them after they've been shown once (similar to how video's are handled in BG1). Unlike the BG1 Dreams there no tangible benefits for doing them and none of the choices you make in them makes a lick of difference, aside from the one post-Spellhold. And unlike the BG1 dreams, there's no skip button currently.

I also think the game would be a lot more interesting without those, "and now here's what the villain is up to" scenes in BG2...(in ToB the ones with Sendai are funny as hell watching her getting more and more annoyed at her underlings F'ing up before she realizes WHO is attacking her base and freaks the $^%# out, which should definitely be left in), but the ones in SoA completely ruin the surprise that Irenicus is disguised as the director (mean sure the voice is a bit of a give away, but that at least could've been since BG re-uses VAs, but the 3rd scene clearly shows he's taken over long before you get there and is expecting you, largely giving away that you're going to get betrayed no matter which side you choose).

I agree. Thinking everything is relatively kosher in Spellhold only to realize that Irenicus is running the show would be pretty nuts.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    srvk said:

Dreams in BG2 are not as atmospheric as their BG1 counterparts, they are repetitive and it takes a lot of time to skip them. There should be an option to instantly skip them.

Why skip them? They're part of the story. Why would you want to skip critical parts of the story?

In one of it you have to maneuver you character away from Bhaal. How would that be skipped?

That sounds to me like someone that just skips the dialogues to get back to killing stuff, which goes against the design of the BG games.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    On the other hand, Bhaal is the Lord of Murder...
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Archaos said:

In one of it you have to maneuver you character away from Bhaal. How would that be skipped?

Well this would be one dream that is not skippable. The rest of the dreams could be skipped easily and I have to say, that the dreams become a bit annoying in additional playthrough especially if you do them in quick succession.
    @Darkcloud
    I admit, I have not played the game countless times for the dreams to bug me.

But, isn't that true for ALL cutscenes and all dialogue? (I'm not sure if cutscenes are skippable, to be honest. Never tried to skip them.) Isn't all dialogue unskippable?

Even if you played the game countless times, the games take hundreds of hours. Are a few dreams that are fully animated, instead of a single picture with text and take like 5-10 minutes at the most, that huge of a deal?

Pretty nit-picky to me.

By the way, many would argue that the starting dungeon is far more repetitive and there's even a mod for it. (Dungeon Begone?)
    But I don't understand why you would want to skip an important part of the game.

Personally, I consider the starting dungeon really fun, since you go back to square one and need to survive without all your uber-gear.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Bhaaaldog
    Skipping one of the more important parts of a great game is not fun for me, to be honest.

I see no fun in an immersion-breaking mod that's basically "woot! hello stranger, let me get you out of this place and here's all the XP, items and gold of this place."

For testing purposes, it's fun. If you want to test a few mods that start after getting out of the dungeon but other than that, there's no point to it.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    @Bhaaaldog @Archaos I just think the dreams are only important the first time. They have no story information, they are just there to create atmosphere and tension.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Why anyone would want to cut any scene that has David Warner I just don't know.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    I agree an option to skip them would be nice, but skipping them also takes away a lot of motivation out of finding Irenicus and would take away the urgency in which you need to chase him whether it be to follow his temptations or to right the wrongs he has caused you and your childhood friend and make him bleed for it.
  • RaphielDrakeRaphielDrake Member Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    I would agree with the option to skip them. Removing them would be excessive.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Also agree with the option to skip the non-mandatory dreams. They were annoying whenever I powergame or played multiplayer.
  • sersafirsersafir Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2013
    It would probably take a modder 10 minutes to create a mod to remove the dreams. Why? Because the dreams are initiated by data stored in global variables, therefore: all a modder would do is make it so the game registers the dream as "already seen."

I would therefore suggest the dev team not give this option. I just disagree because this is best left to modders.
  • iam1iam1 Member Posts: 43
    I would like the option to skip all the sequence things... for the players that can't mod / don't have an understanding or don't even want to understand... they should be disableable..

the amount of times one has heard irenicus' lines... and some you have to be there and click (interactive) so you can't just go and get a cup of tea...

definitely would appeal to the more casual players.

removing them entirely however would ruin it, because the first 30 or so times you see them it remains entertaining. past that it gets dull.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    A skip button would be great. BioWare has a tendency to include non-skip-able cutscenes (KOTOR, anyone?) that might be valuable to the story, but are static and add little to nothing during future play throughs.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    iam1 said:

Casual players should be playing Angry Birds not Baldur's Gate.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Anyone who has played Angry Birds for more than an hour at a time knows that Angry Birds is not a "casual" game. ;)
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Erg said:

iam1 said:

Casual players should be playing Angry Birds not Baldur's Gate.
    Indeed. If you've played through Baldur's Gate 30+ times, you
    a) have lost any right to call yourself a casual player
    and
    b) really, really need to take a break
    @iam1
    Casual players play Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim. I will not go as far as to call people that play "Angry Birds" and "Farmville" gamers.

Maybe an option to skip cutscenes and dreams *rolls eyes* would be reasonable. But really and I'm being an elitist here probably, if you are a casual player and you want to skip the story, you shouldn't be playing Baldur's Gate. You should be playing Diablo.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    I've met some people in this forum that can repeat every single line from every single dream from memory... You can bet they'd love a way to skip the dreams.
  • VizielViziel Member Posts: 11
    Bhaaldog said:

Darkcloud said:

You *will* accept the gifts offered to you.

This line never left my mind, no sense in skip dreams...