Skip to content

The Developers have chosen to Gut the Quest Reputation point gains- why?

There is no rep reward for killing the Ballsilick in the warehouse, for slaughtering all the zombies on the farm, for returning Josephs ring, for returning the body of the grand duke, for returning the body of the sick man to the Friendly Amn Inn... and others I think too....

Why did the developers want reputation points awarded for doing tasks that previously awarded them to no linger hike the character 20 levels of goodyness? I was short a few points after an errant arrow from Kivian happened to graze Drizzit- in fact the thieving elf just wanted his chain to thieve in really.... But it is hard to come by reputation points now... Why is the game changed like this; purposely or lack of coding?

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    What? Rep 20 is still easy to come by, and you can still buy your way to 18 pretty cheaply. I'd rather they didn't throw rep left and right so it was easier to keep evil PCs happy without being a murder hobo.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2013
    because sometimes you do quests like those as evil(they give xp and gold),and it's frustrating to have to murder random people so party members won't have to leave.

besides did you ever had trouble increasing your rep with a neutral/good party?
    just go around and do quests and you'll hit rep 20 in no time

for instance currently i am playing lawful evil with viconia,dorn,kagain,montaron and edwin and my rep is 12 despite the fact that i did nothing out of altruism and my rep started at 5(9 base -4 for dorn+viconia),i even got rep for clearing the Nashkel mines(main quest)
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Hmm I guess you are right it probably is a bother to have to compensate for the NE C and the Big CE D... however I chose to do some happy rep quests early on and then happened to take a 9 or 10 hit when I smacked Drizzit very late in the game so it was a bother finding those 2 points after...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Achieving extremely high rep is actually not that big a deal when it comes to the game's economics. You're swimming in gold by midgame even with rep in average territory (which I always keep it at with my typical mixed alignment parties so that I don't have to hear evil party members complain).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't recall any conversation where these rep-bonuses were intentionally removed. Post a bug report detailing the specific events that used to award rep bonuses that don't now, and we'll take a look.
  • @Beowulf From what I can gather from walkthroughs online, none of those quests ever awarded Rep aside from taking the guy to FAI, and that one requires you to get him there before he dies.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013
    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Reputation#Reputation_bonuses_.28Baldur.27s_Gate_I.29

I think @Kaigen is right, none of these ever gave reputation increases, except for bringing the injured guy to the FAI.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Beowulf said:

There is no rep reward for killing the Ballsilick

I lol'd. Sorry.

On topic: I didn't know they changed those, but if they did then it must have been purposely.

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Ballsilick LOL sure hope that's a typo and not a Freudian slip!
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I think, that they should make more quests, that give you a choice:
    - Being good and getting less reward
    - Being bad, but getting better reward and reputation drop

So then you would realy have some moral choices.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    They did, however, make it much, much more expensive to "buy" reputation at temples. Which is probably a good thing, even if I did previously enjoy buying a point or two before leaving Candlekeep.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    TJ_Hooker said:

none of these ever gave reputation increases, except for bringing the injured guy to the FAI.

Bringing the injured guy to the FAI still does give a reputation increase in BGEE unless he dies.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Kirkor said:

I think, that they should make more quests, that give you a choice:
    - Being good and getting less reward
    - Being bad, but getting better reward and reputation drop

So then you would realy have some moral choices.

This, so very much. I try to keep 10 or below and it's not nearly as easy as getting to 20. I have to kill random commoners long before I Cloakwood if I want to my keep my all evil party and do all sidequests.

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    PugPug said:

They did, however, make it much, much more expensive to "buy" reputation at temples. Which is probably a good thing, even if I did previously enjoy buying a point or two before leaving Candlekeep.

This was an unintended side effect of moving to the BG2 engine. It was returned to BG1 levels in a patch.

This, so very much. I try to keep 10 or below and it's not nearly as easy as getting to 20. I have to kill random commoners long before I Cloakwood if I want to my keep my all evil party and do all sidequests.

You can lose one point of reputation at a time by getting caught by the Flaming Fist (not the Nashkel soldiers) for stealing while your reputation is 9 or above. Shoplifting via the Steal interface and opening restricted containers will result in guards being called; pickpocketing will not. (I recommend robbing houses if you want to keep using the stores.) Of course, you'll have to run from the Flaming Fist afterwards if you don't want to lose any more.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Ya, I know, and there are a few other things that drop rep (flooding Cloakwood with slaves inside being the most important, because it's 2 points up or down right before the next dream/ability), but it's still silly how often you get + rep for random errands and never - reps. Like, keeping Joseph's ring *should* drop 1 rep, the widow will certainly tell people what a jerk you were, likely more than Bjornin will ever tell about you killing random ogres. Stealing the idol from the grave for absolutely no gain (except 100 gold if you sell it, or an utterly useless item if you bring it to the Ulcaster ghost with other stuff) - grave robbery simply isn't a good or neutral act, especially if you aren't taking an item you can use for good (i.e. magical weapon).

It doesn't really matter if I randomly kill a commoner or break into a random house. If it wasn't for rep management, I would do neither. There is no other gain but keeping your evil party members. The ratio of quests that ONLY give + rep (or no change) vs. quests that have the option to lose rep is off. If you simply do all quests, you end up with 20 rep, no matter what. Good/neutral parties aren't required to hug a stranger every few maps just to keep their party members either, so evil is more or less forced to metagame.
  • QuiqueQuique Member Posts: 62
    Aosaw said:

I don't recall any conversation where these rep-bonuses were intentionally removed. Post a bug report detailing the specific events that used to award rep bonuses that don't now, and we'll take a look.

I've done most of the quests that @Beowulf quotes recently (latest patch) and all of them gave me the rep reward just fine.
    Seems like he has a quite peculiar bug or he did something to drop his rep maybe?

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I hit 20 rep easily, and then I kept getting the reputation increased but was already well maxed out... That sorta irked me but if you evil members or need to shift your rep around I can see why you would need the extra reps floating around.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Reputation is disturbingly cheap to increase at Temples

17 reputation points - 500 gold for one more
    16 - 400
    15 - 300
    14 - 300
    12 - 200
    11 - 100
    10 - 100
    9 - 100
    8 - 100
    7 - 100
    6 - 200
    5 - 200
    4 - 200
    3 - 300
    2 - 400
    1 - 500
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    It has been a lonnng time since I played BG 1 the old school unenhanced very young Micheal Jackson version. But, speaking of Micheal and zombies I clearly recall that killing all the zombies for that farmer gave rep. I also recall that bringing in the sick man you find to the friendly amn inn gave rep. I played enhanced with no console or addon things and they both did not give me rep... some of the others I may or may not be reminiscing about correctly...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think the reaction of a lot of people in this thread is:
    I wish they had, but I'm pretty sure they haven't
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Beowulf said:

It has been a lonnng time since I played BG 1 the old school unenhanced very young Micheal Jackson version. But, speaking of Micheal and zombies I clearly recall that killing all the zombies for that farmer gave rep. I also recall that bringing in the sick man you find to the friendly amn inn gave rep. I played enhanced with no console or addon things and they both did not give me rep... some of the others I may or may not be reminiscing about correctly...

Bringing the sick man, as stated previously, does give you a rep boost. It is what, in one of my games, made Monty and Xzar snap and leave.