Skip to content

3ds max setup

NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
edited July 2012 in General Modding
Hi

I just thought it would be nice if at some point maybe after release, you guys could post up a quick guide of the setup you use in 3ds max for BG:EE

Camera perspective, render options and just general scene setup.

Would help with people who use max to create new assets for BG1/2

:)
Post edited by Nimz on

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I got it already and google for isoview/cam in 3dsmax. Just the FOV is a bit of a headache at first start.
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    you know the scene setup?

Camera, lighting type, renderer, render setup etc?
    edited July 2012
    lighting type depends on the area. If it is lit by torches only, direct sun etc (this things you should already know how to setup) and render options are top secret:D But what I did was to render a testarea separate and put them together within photoshop.
    edited July 2012

lighting type depends on the area. If it is lit by torches only, direct sun etc (this things you should already know how to setup) and render options are top secret:D

lol
    I guess scanline renderer with default settings?

Thinking about it im sure other people have made 3d assets for BG1/2 so i could find all this online?
    I'm not really up with the whole BG modding scene
    edited July 2012
    I just use a basic render setup within 3dsmax so no other leet extension used. Just try to test your areas against some original maps which you can export from the game. And if your stuff starts looking alike your on track. Or start with a cobble textured plane and a wall with a window to see if it´s looking right;)
    And maybe you can download the template 3dsmax file from Overhaul games on the job opening page. I havent looked at it but it could be a whole scene setup
  • SFischSFisch Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2012
    The camera set up I use is pretty good, I could send you a copy if you wanted. I think I've managed to nail down the proper scale of game size -> U.S. measurements. I can point you in the direction of some other modders who use 3DS Max as well. Whether or not they're active much anymore is anyone's guess, though.

EDIT: I would love some documentation or tutorials straight from the developers, though! I have a hard time with lighting and setting up interiors. Plotting out the layout of a dungeon is just torture for me, as I haven't found a good method yet.
    SFisch said:

The camera set up I use is pretty good, I could send you a copy if you wanted. I think I've managed to nail down the proper scale of game size -> U.S. measurements. I can point you in the direction of some other modders who use 3DS Max as well. Whether or not they're active much anymore is anyone's guess, though.

EDIT: I would love some documentation or tutorials straight from the developers, though! I have a hard time with lighting and setting up interiors. Plotting out the layout of a dungeon is just torture for me, as I haven't found a good method yet.

Yea would be pretty cool, would be interesting to see what you use too.

I'm guessing you use Orthographic view?

Yep, I don't have my desktop going right now, or I'd tell you exact specs. I use an orthographic free camera, rotated X:45 and Z:45. Getting the scale right is probably the hardest part. Send me a PM with how I can get it to you!
    edited July 2012
    To layout a dungeon I go with a draft near my monitor and then go to topview, using lines to create the mainpath, extrude the thing and start to work on the details.
  • BarbosaBarbosa Member Posts: 10
    I would kill for a "how to" tuts from scratch on how to do a whole map/area.
    edited July 2012
    I posted in the other thread, but here's how to set up a camera. I will be writing more in time. Also, the site will be transitioning to a more permanent web host that I set up, soon.

http://bgrealm.webs.com/3d.html