Skip to content

Viconia thread has become awesome

helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
As the title says. Why? She was good in the original game, but now she is really mediocre. Why changing one of the best characters from the roleplaying point of view? (especially when BG 2 EE comes out)
Post edited by Cuv on

Comments

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    What stats have changed? I think they are the same as in vanilla BG1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    She got an attribute boost in BG2, same as most other recurring NPCs. She didn't have as good attributes in the original Baldur's Gate as she did in the sequel.

In other words, Overhaul hasn't "nerfed" her, they've kept her original stats.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Ouch¡ I think I played so much BG 2 that I forgot their stats were different in BG 1 and BG 2... Sorry
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Erm... I'm pretty sure she has the exact same statistics as she used to. You might be mixing it up with the fact she doesn't have the same stats in BGII, but that's the game that changed them. BG:EE hasn't changed her stats compared to BG.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Given that she now has 50% magic resistance that doesn't afect beneficial spells, she has already had a substantial buff in EE. Giving her BG2 stats as well would put her a very long way ahead of any other BG1 cleric.
    A bit off topic, bhaaldog. How can i use the Viconias portrait you use in the game? It looks far better than the original in the game.
    helmo1977 said:

A bit off topic, bhaaldog. How can i use the Viconias portrait you use in the game? It looks far better than the original in the game.

You dump portrait files with the correct names and sizes in the override directory within the game's installation folder. For Viconia the file names are ViconiaL, ViconiaM and ViconiaS. Sizes are 210x330, 196x266 and 54x84.

helmo1977 said:

You dump portrait files with the correct names and sizes in the override directory within the game's installation folder. For Viconia the file names are ViconiaL, ViconiaM and ViconiaS. Sizes are 210x330, 196x266 and 54x84.
    Where do I get the protraits with those resolutions?. In short, I have no idea how to do it.

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited February 2013
    Good thing that she keeps her BG1 stats.

Otherwise, other characters would also have to be modified.

Anyway, currently, I'd rather play with a Lawful Evil Branwen (thanks Shadowkeeper).
    Viconia's Strength (no tower shield nor standard shield), constitution (crappy HP) and wisdom (no level 4 spell bonus) are too low to be useful.
    Magic resistance shines only during a very few fights since there is not much magic in BG1.

She brings too much drawbacks compared with advantages.

I might even consider to change Yeslick alignment to lawful evil. He's too good for not being taken in an Evil playthrough.

Sorry friends.
    Post edited by Aasimar069 on
    helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

Where do I get the protraits with those resolutions?. In short, I have no idea how to do it.

The ones Bhaaldog posted a couple replies ago should work, just remember to save them as .bmp files.

helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

The ones Bhaaldog posted a couple replies ago should work, just remember to save them as .bmp files.
    Thank you. And how do I save them as bmp files? Do I have to convert them?

Just choose .bmp from the dropdown when downloading them. Or open them in paint and re-save them.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

These are the originals (bmp, 24 bit, 200 dpi). Just unzip the attached file.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Fardragon said:

Given that she now has 50% magic resistance that doesn't afect beneficial spells, she has already had a substantial buff in EE. Giving her BG2 stats as well would put her a very long way ahead of any other BG1 cleric.

I tried to cast Resist Fear but she resisted it in BG2. I have many mods installed though. Is that the case with vanilla install and if not, what mod changes the magic resistance behavior? Baldur's Gate II Tweaks?
    Erg said:

helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

These are the originals (bmp, 24 bit, 200 dpi). Just unzip the attached file.
    Great. Thank you. Now, where is the override folder? I have been looking in Program Files/BGEE but no luck. Same in My DOcuments. I have found no override folder
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    When you first install the game, there is no override directory; it's only used for mods. Go ahead and create a folder called "override" in "Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\" (or "...Beamdog\Games\00766\" if you're playing from the Beamdog client) and put the files in there.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    helmo1977 said:

helmo1977 said:

@helmo1977 - Just right click the three above and you have it. As for making them from any image, use MS Paint. Crop the photo and then re-size. Save as 24 bit bmp and you have it.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @helmo - you don't need to put it in Override. Portraits works, even for original NPC images. You do have to name them correctly and ensure they are proper size 24-bit BMP files.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    As for putting it in the game I am actually not familiar with editing the EE version yet but there is a program called EE Keeper that allows you to edit things within the game. Perhaps someone more familiar with it can help you.
    The portraits will need to be in the Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits folder, then EE Keeper will be able to find them. This also applies to the game itself for custom character portraits for your main character, otherwise it's the override folder. The EE Keeper will recognise them if they are in the override folder but it won't be required (just thought I would clarify) in order to make the change. Placing them in the override folder is all that is necessary.

An example of its usage can be found here. The same image format applies to the images as though they were in-game; 24-bit Bitmaps, et cetera.

So, Documents\..\portraits if you want to apply the images to your main character, or change the portrait of any other character to something other than their default naming system, via EE Keeper. Otherwise, Data\00766\override if you just want to override an existing image without the use of EE Keeper (since that would likely just make things messy in this particular case).

Simples :).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    She has 50% Magic resistance.

She also has a pretty kicking DEX. Give her the CON belt and the Strength hammer and she is pretty much unstoppable in combat. Throw on a blade barrier and she will cut the resistance to shreds. And she is a full cleric which means higher level spells and abilities.

Plus she is easy on the eyes.

I'd say WIN.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    She she get high level abilities I usually have her cast energy blades - cause a lot of damage and they fit her combat style!