Skip to content

Installation woes

I've been wanting to install BG2 on this computer but each time I got the error shown in the attached picture.

I tried installing normally, and with compatibility for XP. I'm afraid that's the extent of my tech savvy. Can anyone help me or am I doomed to wait the rest of the year until BG2EE comes out?

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2013
    @keltarking, some questions:
    1. Are you trying to install on a hard drive that is larger than 2TB?
    If yes, try installing on a different HDD. I'm unsure of why, exactly, but some older games really don't like it. You can do this regardless, just to try it out if you haven't already.
    2. Is the disc is scratched or damaged?
    3. Did you burn the disc yourself/make a backup?
    If yes, does the disc have all the files on it and are they all okay; or are some of them missing or corrupt (i.e. can you find the file specified on the disc)?

If no to all of the above questions, then it is likely that you can't fix it. CRC errors are nasty things.

There's a person here with a similar (if not identical) issue from back in 2000; they replaced the CDs and were able to install.
  • keltarkingkeltarking Member Posts: 53
    I have a 1TB hard drive. I also take great care of all my discs, whether they be music, movies, console of computer disks. I've installed the game several times in the past when I was still on winXP, with no trouble. But a friend of mine also has the game, I guess I could try with his discs.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2013
    That would probably be your best bet.

If it still doesn't work, then there's something wrong with your system (or they've also got dodgy discs (ask them to install the game using your discs, too)).

If works on their system but not on yours, then you can try running a check disk (example: chkdsk C: /F) from the Command Prompt (located in Start\All Programs\Accessories). Or try running an error check -- go to Computer/My Computer, right-click on the drive you're trying to install to, click Properties, then click on Tools. You should see a button marked "Check Now..." under Error-checking, click that. In the new dialog box, check both items and then click the Start button. Note that you can try both of those anyway, just to see if it helps (I'm doubtful), but trying with someone else's discs would probably be best.

If they do work, my suggestion would be to make an ISO image of them and keep it safe.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    @keltarking

That error is telling you that there is a corruption in the file. It's trying to extract audio file from the cabinet, but it cannot. It doesn't mean you have not cared for your disc, this type of thing just happens to old disc.

Clean the CD's again, but make sure you use a microfiber cloth and pull from the center outward, never make a circle motion with CD's. Then try making a copy of the CD, and use the copy for the installation. When you launch the game and it prompts you for a CD you can still use the original, as the part it looks for copy protection is still valid even if the CD is damaged (in most cases).
  • keltarkingkeltarking Member Posts: 53
    I finally installed the game from my friend's discs, worked like a charm. Thanks. :)