Skip to content

The Point of Books in the Game?

Other than being the object of the odd quest, do books have a point in the game? They're interesting enough to read, but that's about all I see in them.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    They're just for reading.
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    And giving you some background about the world you're adventuring in.
    [Deleted User]Eudaemonium
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    They provide nice lore and immersion to the game world. There are references to various famous FR books, characters and history.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Sadly enough I never read the books (But I love books irl), so here is a suggestion for a mod or future implementation; Give us the possibility to buy (or rent) a bookcase at some location (temple) and the possibility to store books.
    Maybe this should be open just for Bards, Mages and Clerics, but what do I know.
    Once you have 98% of all books, you gain 1 point of wisdom. Books->knowledge->wisdom.
    Once you have a copy of every book something else happens....quest?
    Visit from the god(s) of knowledge.
    A bard get the knowledge to identify a "normal" item for something more powerful?
    A fire.

Maybe there could be some kind of easter egg hidden....in some of the books (random each play through) there could be hints to lead you to a;
    Quest
    New location
    What do I know

I would love the idea of making the books more valuable/important.

Now I realize I have a bunch of books to read.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    I would definitely use a mod that adds more well written books in game.

At risk of being accused of blasphemy by @Bhaaldog, I would like it even more if they were similar to the books in "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind".

Of course the lore of elder scrolls is incompatible, so I'm talking about similarity in style, not in content.

There were some real pearls in that game and they were not just covering lore but there were also high quality short stories (of different genres, like horror, fantasy, mistery, etc.; there was at least one that could have made a great Twilight Zone episode), scientific books, religious books, philosophical treatises, theatrical plays, sometimes more like parody sometime more serious, etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    If you collect one copy of every book and place them all on the empty shelve i the high hedge, a secret door opens to the lower level, where you will find wondrous treasures....
    Erg
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

If you collect one copy of every book and place them all on the empty shelve i the high hedge, a secret door opens to the lower level, where you will find wondrous treasures....

Yes, there are also

five additional Belts of Antipode. Belt of Antipode for everyone!!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ErgEudaemonium
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    edited February 2013
    Hmmmmmm, I like the book ideas more and more....maybe there could be some kind of contest in this forum where the top 10 contributed text's would be published in a book in BGEE....maybe a short story about the Halfling's meeting with the troll, The sad legend of Durlag Trollslayer, Are Drow really Elves?, How to make 100 GP in 100 hours, Loose 100 lbs in 100 days, the green slime diet.....
    The possibilities are endless.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Also change the texts to incomprehensible gibberish if the charname's int is below 10
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    "The Lusty Argonian Maid" sitting on the table in Gorion's room at Candlekeep :)
    [Deleted User]ErgEudaemonium
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    To be unable to read I'd say you'd have to be below 7. 9 was considered the average human score.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    mlnevese said:

To be unable to read I'd say you'd have to be below 7. 9 was considered the average human score.

I just couldn't resist :D