Skip to content

No Dorn even after buying him

Dorn doesn't appear in my game. He's not in the FAI, and there is nothing in my journal mentioning him, so it appears I haven't talked to him yet.

I cleared out the mines before going to the FAI. I eventually purchased Dorn and he still isn't in the FAI.

I was able to purchase the mage later in the game and have her show up in Beregost. But I can't get Dorn to show up.

Any ideas? What good is the DLC if it can't be used?

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Try enabling IAPs
  • comradecomrade Member Posts: 9
    What's an iap?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited February 2013
    @Comrade: Keep in mind that this isn't a wide spread complaint...look through the threads and the "known issues" thread...you won't find another report of people being unable to use DLC Content.

When reporting issues like this, it's important to look at whether the issue is likely "your" issue or a "bug"...if it's widely reported and/or obscure functionality, there's a likelyhood that it's a bug. In a case like this were MAJOR content is not being widely reported as problematic like you are seeing, it's likely an issue with your setup in some way. Questions like "What good is the DLC if it can't be used?" aren't likely to get you anywhere since the obvious answer is "What do you mean? My DLC works fine, as does everyone else's?"

Please don't take this as a shot at you or as an angry reply or anything else. We're all MORE than happy to help you diagnose and debug the issue you're having...just be careful next time when placing blame in determining where the problem might lie. :)

iKrivetko is probably correct, make sure you go into your iPad's settings for BG:EE (should be in the settings menu of the iPad itself - the Apple Settings) and check to make sure DLC is enabled. There IS a problem that's been identified on the Known Issues (I think) that if you buy DLC then turn it off, the DLC disappears till you turn it back on. i.e. There's no way to buy the DLC you want and then turn off the ABILITY to buy more DLC without disconnecting the already purchased DLC.

Hope this helps, if not, re-post and we'll all try to help you get it figured out.

--Illydth
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    @comrade If you had already visited the areas he spawns BEFORE buying him he won't appear in your current game. You'll have to start a new one.
    DLC is fine. It worked for Neera. It's Dorn that isn't working.

Yes, I visited the mines and the FAI before buying Dorn. This must be specific to Dorn though because I visited Beregost many times before buying Neera, and she still showed up after purchasing her. I really only bought her to get access to her gem bag.

It's too bad about Dorn. I don't want to start over at this point.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @mlnevese - this isn't true for EE NPCs. They are generated by script rather than when the area is crated like other NPCs. This was a necessity for DLC to work.

@comrade - can you do the following:
    1) Turn on in app purchases as described above
    2) Load a saved game.
    3) If you are in the FAI, leave and re-enter
    4) Check to see if Dorn is in the room - he is positioned near the door. Note that he doesn't initiate dialog with you, and he will not join your party at this stage of the game.

If you cannot find Dorn by following the above, could you help us isolate the problem by starting a new game and travel to the FAI to see if you can find Dorn?
    Phyrek
    I did steps 1 through 4 and no Dorn.

I then created a new character, a fighter so he would survive, and basically ran to the FAI, ran past the mage that interrupts you at the door, and inside, and sure enough, there was Dorn standing just to the right of the door.

Unfortunately in the process I overwrote my more recent saved games and lost clearing out of cloakwood. And so I decided to start a new game from scratch so that I could get access to the scroll case which I missed my opportunity for as well. With my new game I've got Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad all in my party and everything seems to be fine.

The only thing I can think of that messed up Dorn in my first game is that I explored and cleared everything south of Beregost before I bought Dorn. I was under the mistaken impression that the DLC was available as a shortcut, but would still be available if not purchased.

For example, I cleared out the gibberling mountains and so never came across the necromancer because dorn didn't exist, but in my new game that plot worked flawlessly. And I did talk to tassis (or whatever her name is - part of the dorn quest in nashkel) in my previous game, but she only would ask if I saw a guy 'so wide and so tall'.

After buying neera in my previous game she did show up in Beregost. But as I've said before Dorn was nowhere to be found.
    Thanks for the update!

Unfortunately, you guessed my next question - Do you have a save game where this can be reproduced? With the logic for spawning Dorn being so simple, and with no other reports of this specific issue that I'm aware of, it is a bit difficult to proceed with tracking this down.

For the curious, here is the code in question - doesn't get much more straightforward:
    IF !Dead("DORN") !InParty("DORN") Global("DORNExists","GLOBAL",0) HasDLC("DORN") THEN RESPONSE #100 SetGlobal("DORNExists","GLOBAL",1) CreateCreature("DORN",[1132.727],S) // Dorn ActionOverride("DORN",MakeGlobal()) ActionOverride("DORN",ChangeAIScript("DORN",OVERRIDE)) END

(no other script or dialog writes to DORNExists)

So, advice to anyone with a bug: preserve a save game that can reproduce the problem. Sometimes the problem is a side-effect of one or more other issues, and the only way to track it down is to look at some of the other variables involved.
    I think i have one saved game in my list still. I will try to export it tomorrow.

The only thing I can think of is that when I was trying to get into the FAI (after clearing everything south of beregost) the guy blocking the door was kicking my butt. I couldn't kill him and so I was trying to use the town guards to kill him by running up, having him attack, running away, and letting the fight happen. It killed the mage once but I lost an NPC in the process and decided to try it again but was never able to get it to repeat.

Is there any chance dorn could have been killed while doing this? It doesn't make sense since I don't think he comes outside. It's possible I ran inside the FAI and then outside (to pick up more attackers) but I don't remember doing it.

Can Dorn be killed when he's never been in your party?

Is there anywhere else where the code SetGlobal("DORNExists","GLOBAL",1) exists? Based on the above code the only few options are:
    Dorn was dead
    Dorn exists was set to true but he didn't manifest because the subsequent lines above weren't present
    hasdlc was false

The !InParty doesn't make sense unless there's bug where just talking to him can set it to true even if he's not in the party. But I don't think I talked to him.

What happens if there's an exception in any of the code in the 'then' statement? Does the program just continue?
    comrade said:

What happens if there's an exception in any of the code in the 'then' statement? Does the program just continue?

If so, you may want to change the order of the code, or put in an exception handler. But I don't recognize the script you're showing so I'm not sure if exception handling is even an option.
    Cerevant said:

(no other script or dialog writes to DORNExists)

I just reread your message and saw this line. Then it just doesn't make sense. Not sure what happened, other than Dorn being dead.
    No exception handling. There are two other blocks of code that could block this code from executing, but both conditions are equally "impossible". The save game let's us figure out which impossibility isn't, then we fix it ;)
    Here's one of my surviving saved games.
    save.zip 599.1K
    @comrade Thanks! If someone doesn't get to it sooner, I'll take a look at it tonight or tomorrow morning.
    edited February 2013
    @comrade Thanks for the help! I've found the problem, reported it to the tracker and submitted a fix. If you go to the FAI for the first time after the start of chapter 3, you will not find Dorn.

I don't think it will make it into the next update, but it might make it into the following one. This is not an iPad specific bug.