Skip to content

Aces up you sleeves

Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
In a fight and you need to pull out the quick win? Then it's time to use one of the aces up your sleeve...

My favorite, the wand of paralysis. This item has single handedly, albeit sometimes with help from doom and greater malison, defeated almost every difficult encounter in the game, and there are quite a few of them out there, as well. Daevorn, check, Aec' Letec, check, Sarevok, check, Sarevok's cronies, check, anyway you get the picture...

My second favorite, level 1 spells: sleep and blind. Sleep is great when you come across almost any non-boss battle... cast and at least 50% of the enemies fall over waiting for you to kill them, they have to be under level 5... and blind... blind someone with the level 1 spell and they will stay put, unless you are in melee range, and stand there as a stationary target for your archers, it's scary how often this minor spell disables tough bosses.

Runner up, the Stupifier (mace); this item is too good to add to this game... 25% chance to stun anyone = lots of dead enemies. The too good part is unlike the wand(s) this doesn't have charges and works roughly 25% of the time, which in some cases is probably a better probability then the wand!

Second runner up, Web: cast 1 or 2 of these and stand back pull out your ranged weapons and even a blind mage can hit anything with a weapon, without proficiency. Better still if you have free action on a fighter.

Remember kiddos, if the enemy can't hit you back, or at all... you've already won.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    A spell sequencer with three fireballs.
    After that it's usually just mopping up the remains.

I'm uh, not one for fancy tactics. Skulls for the Skull Throne!
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    I don't like quick wins! I rather use slow and ultra-lame tactics. Like casting sanctuary and blade barrier on my cleric and standing next to enemies until they die. Works only in BG2 though because of level cap :/
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Glitterdusting basilisks. Mainly for the lulz. My jester's goal in life is to confuse two basilisks and make them petrify each other. Or are they immune to their own gaze attack?
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    On my most recent playthrough I found my 2 most effective strategies to be casting all the fireballs I can outside the enemies sight or alternative just simply sending my fighter in since he does have 18/00 str, 18 dex and 18 con. I find most things to have trouble hitting him unless they roll a critical hit when he's in full plate.
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    In BG2, greater command has been a big winner for me playing with SCSII. Anomen gets it pretty quickly and it's a huge help when you get ambushed or are fighting in awkward circumstances, such a fast casting and powerful spell.

For BG1, silence 15" radius, or if you want to be creative, xan with the ring of wizardry and about a dozen casts of charm person
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Yep, wands of paralyzation and wands of polymorph. :D Also any sort of obnoxious tactic I can pull off with spell sequencers.
  • apeterssonapetersson Member Posts: 33
    Durlag's Goblet recharged to 30 uses, with a remove fear prepared. with that you could tank sarevok naked.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Wand of lightning that bounces back and forth, not the wand, the lightning.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, a wand of paralyzation is really powerful in BG1/EE. Almost OP, really.

In my current game with an all dual-classed party I'm recalling just how powerful clerics can be, especially in tandem with Thieves:

Berserker 3/Cleric
    Xzar - Necromancer 4/Cleric
    Shar-Teel - Fighter 3/Thief
    Imoen - Thief 2/Mage
    Branwen - Cleric 5/Thief
    Safana - Thief 5/Mage

When clerics buff and enter Sanctuary and join stealthed Thieves in a surprise attack, the party is able to decimate enemy groups before they knew what hit them. (Moreso if the entire party is buffed and Hasted.) At the moment of attack Mages cast Sleep and Glitterdust, and if needed Blindness as well. Horror usually isn't needed, but that can follow also. Mages casting Hold Person is a little more convenient, since you don't have to chase after panicked enemies.

To make it a fairer fight, sometimes I just send buffed clerics in Sanctuary and position them right on top of enemy spellcasters, then launch the attack by having them cast Command and/or Hold Person. But even that is often enough to end the battle in just a couple rounds.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    Emotion!

That's my silver bullet for most of the saga. There may be more effective spells of mass-incapacitation, but Emotion just seems to work for me. It never fails to take pressure off me when I'm surrounded, and once saved my ass in a desperate fight against the Pit Fiend you can encounter in the Underdark. I'm still amused by the image of a massive Fiend, on the verge of finishing my party off, falling to the ground and bawling like a baby while I recovered my strength to end him.
    Post edited by Madhax on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Madhax If I was that Fiend I'd ask for political asylum in one of the Heavens... imagine going back to Hell after being defeated by a mortal crying like a baby?
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Melf's Minute Meteors. Allows a well-positioned mage to kill almost anything in both games since it hits at +5. I particularly enjoy mauling Adamantite Golems with it in BG2, and the upgraded version (Energy Blades) is how I take down the Ravager in TOB.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Three mages pointing wands of fire or wands of ice against a vulnerable enemy is an instant death for sure!
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Casting multiple webs in the same area, then poking them with arrows, not even Sarevok can save against 3 webs.