Skip to content

If you could pick one spell from BG and cast it once per day, what would it be?

LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
I would pick goodberry or charm person. Dunno which one would be more enjoyable :P

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Find familiar ;) That way I can identify my alignment.
    Or...... magic missile would come in handy.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    That's hard... nothing that would change reality ...

"silence"?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Mass Raise Dead would probably do the most good. I could bring back people who died before their time and help catch murderers, although my identity would have to be kept a secret so I don't become a target myself.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Wisdom for Wish, and there is no spell that can increase my Intelligence.
    Jalily said:

Unfortunately, I don't have the Wisdom for Wish, and there is no spell that can increase my Intelligence.

Wish could have catastrophic results .
    I know, hence the remark about Wisdom.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'd probably go with Friends. To be able to become more charismatic and likable on command seems like it could be immensely useful for just about anyone.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I think I'd have to go with Wish. I'm pretty confident in my Wis score to not yield ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE results, and just because I CAN use it once a day doesn't mean I HAVE to.

I can spend a month polling and planning, formulating the perfect use for each Wish. I'm not asking for the deaths of all of the vampires about to eat me in a hastily-worded desperate plea, I'm chilling in my living room at a computer.

I mean, chances are eventually I'll get cocky, make a mistake, and destroy the world. But I'm pretty sure I'll have a great time before that happens.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Teleport would be great, though I can only have it as an NPC. Clairvoyance would make my GPS obsolete. Or maybe Shapechange.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Well, it says "BG" not "BG series" so Im assuming just BG1 there. Cure Disease or Cure Critical wounds, power over life and death ftw.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I would love to be able to cast find familiar once, and then choose my spell once/day. Probably either goodberry, haste, invisibility, or some cure spell.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Friends
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Oh imagine what I could do if I could cast Simulacrum!

Not much, I'm afraid. It lasts 1 round/level and none of us have caster levels. :) Otherwise, that would have been my other pick.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Time Stop.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Madhax said:

I think I'd have to go with Wish. I'm pretty confident in my Wis score to not yield ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE results, and just because I CAN use it once a day doesn't mean I HAVE to.
    I can spend a month polling and planning, formulating the perfect use for each Wish. I'm not asking for the deaths of all of the vampires about to eat me in a hastily-worded desperate plea, I'm chilling in my living room at a computer.

I am reminded of this comic;
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

On Topic;
    I'd say Time Stop...but I'd turn into a massive criminal overnight if I had that power, so for my own sake, I probably shouldn't.
    Friends seem like a good spell for real life use, as is Haste or Resistance to Fire/Cold.
    That, or Gate.

If normal D&D spells were also allowed, I'd go for either Greater Teleport or Overland Flight (60ft Fly speed for 1 hour per level)
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Improved invisibility. Mayhaps it might even change my alignment then. Think of the possibilities. >:D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Cure Disease would probably be the most practical overall. You'd then die of natural causes only. There'd be a comfort in knowing that, provided that you have decent Constitution and take care of yourself to ensure maximum lifespan.

Although Friends properly used for an already high Charisma person would probably reap more tangible benefits throughout life. In terms of power to persuade I might want to go with that too.

Tough choice!
    Madhax said:

I mean, chances are eventually I'll get cocky, make a mistake, and destroy the world. But I'm pretty sure I'll have a great time before that happens.

It might still be used against you. ;D
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, very tough choice. I'm in doubt between Dimension Door (for teleporting around) and Improved Invisibility. Dimension Door because then I'd never be late for classes again (curse you, public trnasport!) and Improved Invisibility for...various purposes. ;)
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Improved Alacrity...
    Bhaaldog said:

Jalily said:

Bhaaldog said:

Oh imagine what I could do if I could cast Simulacrum!

Not much, I'm afraid. It lasts 1 round/level and none of us have caster levels. :)
    But...but magic is real!
    How else would you determine the usefulness of it other than the description and what its effects would probably be if you were granted this power? If the clone was around for a few hours, it would be very helpful, but a few minutes at most...eh.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Magic Missile. Just for fun :)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    If it is eligible, you know the absolute best choice from BG for anyone with ambition (could be used selfishly or with noble intentions) - Geas.

From the PC usable spells, I would be very tempted to go with Domination. It could make life a lot easier without putting you in the crosshairs -- "Can't you tear up that ticket officer? I thought you could." Obviously, it could get you out of almost any dangerous situation and could grease the wheels for a lot of things in life.

Mass raise dead is a great choice but that would be totally life changing with a lot of zealots coming out of the woodworks to stalk you and you suddenly being a threat to anyone whose beliefs were not consistent with someone having that power. I don't know that I am ready for that but then again if I lost someone I would forever regret having picked something other than this. On that basis, I would probably end up with this and just try to use it in a very discrete way.

(Summon planetar would be the most powerful - the Planetar could raise dead, heal, and do a lot of other things, including provide serious protection. Protection from Magical Weapons would be the biggest reversal from "great in BG" to "worthless in real life.")
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Jalily said:

Mass Raise Dead would probably do the most good.

What about the Balance, huh?

Wait. Jaheira's mod is on :)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Aedan said:

Jalily said:

Mass Raise Dead would probably do the most good.

What about the Balance, huh?

Wait. Jaheira's mod is on :)
    Maybe you raise an orphanage that was caught in a fire along with a group of nuns who were killed in a bus accident and balance that with raising the Kardashians?
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i would like to take the Mage Stronghold Quest & set my apprentices to researching a new spell...
    Find Parking Space