Skip to content

Gold Rebalancing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited February 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Gold Rebalancing35 votes
    1. Reduce the overall amount of gold available in the game (not considering grinding)
        8.57%
    2. Rebalance the gold. Reduce gold on common mobs and increase the amount carried by a boss.
      11.43%
    3. Leave it as it is.
      42.86%
    4. Did you know Minsc is a space pirate!?!
      37.14%
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited February 2013
    Well, for people, who know this game like their own pocket, getting gold and good equipment is very easy - because we know where to look.
    But as far as I can remember my first playthrough, I was very happy, when I had enough cash to buy plate armor for my Charname. And it wasn't easy to find gold for equipment, you could see at Taerum.
    You have to remember, that new players don't know where to look for gold and they usualy don't wander around too much - so they don't have our "first world problem - too much money" ;)

But to spice things up, I would change minor things:
    - You should pay for a night in an inn for each person. So if you want to rent a rooms worth 8gp for 6-man party, you would have to pay 48g for a night.
    - You should pay MUCH more at the temples to get reputation bonus.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Most of the game is pretty balanced gold-wise imo. It takes an appropriate amount of effort to get the various magical items in the game and altering gold drops could make that more frustrating than it ought to. One could simply say that this incarnation of the sword coast is very wealthy and people generally live well. It doesn't necessarily need to adhere to the calculations of D&D in general.

The inn, however, is perhaps imbalanced. It's not imbalanced for the benefit provided, a royal room is better than a peasant room for health recovery but not THAT much better. But for RP reasons, since it's labeled "royal," it seems rather cheap.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Surprised this thread hasn't been done already, considering how often the vast wealth of the Bhaalspawn is mentioned.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    This is one of those things that don't reflect D&D precisely. There are no lesser coins than gold, so it becomes common currency. Hundred gold is not uncommon to spare as a reward to a hero. The game simply has different economy and it works quite well I think.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Why not add in some high-level goodies to be purchased? An idea I had was to add one Charisma and one Intelligence stat tome to the High Hedge or Sorcerous Sundries merchants, to be sold for something like 35-50k each. Neither would break the game, but both would have a lasting bonus throughout the series as a reward for gathering so much gold.

In other words, I'd rather buy more than earn less.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    How about using the gold to purchase nobility titles and land estates? I'm so sick of those nobles calling me a peasant. With my titles, they should treat me the respect I deserve!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited February 2013
    While I was originally in favor of some big changes to BG, I now have found it very hard to convince people, especially when the changes are seen as nerfs.

Re-balancing/better following rules/etc, is probably better left off for a sequel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I think that item's cost should be rebalanced, with a standard cost for every item type (katana > longsword, etc) multiplied by some factor for the enchantment level (+1, +2, etc) and multiplied or added by a value representing the addition combat abilities (passive abilities result in constant offset increase in cost, combat abilities such as 10% 2d6 lighting are another multiplier).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @agris
    Those changes are very easily done using NearInfinity. There's a row for every item that determines its base price, which will allow you to set values that way.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    There is a mod that has components that do this for the most part - Aurora's Shoes and Boots

http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/aurora-english.html#compon

-Change quest gold rewards
    -Change creature gold carried

Also you have your choice of reduction or increase - i.e. by 50%, 25% etc. However, it is not yet BG:EE compatible... :(
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    bbear said:

How about using the gold to purchase nobility titles and land estates? I'm so sick of those nobles calling me a peasant. With my titles, they should treat me the respect I deserve!

Nahh they would just see you as an upstart who bought his way into nobility and has no place among the truly traditional families....