Skip to content

Hope to see Icewind Dale enhanced version in the future?

TheWiSeFooLTheWiSeFooL Member Posts: 124
Anyone have any news of this?

I do know SoA and ToB will on later this year not sure when.

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    ID:EE would be nice, but I think Planescape Torment does need an enhancement more than Icewind Dale does. The interface in Planescape Torment, when used with the Widescreen mod, is really tiny and could be made much easier to handle. Icewind Dale still functions really well with the Widescreen Mod, it doesn't feel old at all. So I'd rather see PST:EE as a next step after BG2:EE, or even better BG3.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i would probably purchase IWD:EE
    want to see BG2:EE & Planescape:EE first
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    For now there's no news about IWD. It's ownership is a little different than BG so it involve a completely new agreement to get it made.
    I would like to see an enhanced edition of it for a couple reasons; the first being I really like how much faster the enhanced edition has been. But by far the biggest thing, I would just love to IWD in iOS!
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    I'd rather see an enhanced version of Temple of Elemental Evil first. I love that game.
  • TheWiSeFooLTheWiSeFooL Member Posts: 124
    Aedan said:

I'd rather see an enhanced version of Temple of Elemental Evil first. I love that game.

I bought it and kind a regret not having played that as much as I could of.
    But I never really got into it because it always seemed so chatty with all the NPC's - it was not chatty like Dragon Age 1, the dialogue was rather boring.

And the moves were turn based made fighting less exciting and tedious.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Though it's one of my favorite games ever, I have zero interest in a PST Enhanced.

There is ZERO room for added content in that game. Sure, there's plenty of room for technical fixes and engine upgrades... but I want more content, like the added NPCs and quests in BGEE, much more.

Icewind Dale, not being particularly bogged down by storyline, has huge potential for new adventures to be added. Enhancing it would be great.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I remember the devs saying they do not have rights to Icewind Dale. It was either via tweeter or an interview, I'm not quite sure.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Given the limitations imposed on Overhaul, Icewind Dale lends itself to being "enhanced" more than BG in my opinion. The two main things it lacks are sidequests and NPCs, which BG has in abundance. In many other ways Icewind Dale is superior to BG. Considering NPCs and sidequests are the main things Overhaul's allowed to do, they could do a lot more with Icewind Dale and make a far superior game. Hopefully they get the chance.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Yes! With Half-orcs and barbarians please.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I have never played IWD so I would like to see an EE and would definitely buy it.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @mlnevese
    But wasn't it an eventual possibility? I could have sworn that when I first heard about the plans for BGEE, there were suggestions that its success could lead to IWDEE, PSTEE, etc.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @madhax I'm not really sure. Maybe something in the backlog of tweets?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Yeah Trent did mention he'd like to do it. As far as I'm aware there's hasn't been any more commitment than that so far. From what I gather, Overhaul will prioritize BG3 over any other Enhanced Editions, and a role-playing game worthy of that title would take at least 2 years to build. So if IWD:EE ever happens it won't be anytime soon.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited February 2013
    It's clear that the whole process of enhancing and re-releasing BG was a lot more complicated/strenuous than the good folks at Overhaul have anticipated. Think about it - the ship date delay, the situation with Intel video cards, the new bugs that popped up, and that's just the stuff we know about.

I'm not criticizing them, though - I admire the way they are handling all that stuff while still being able to give us goodies like new NPCs and kits via Patches (in other words, stuff they could be charging for as DLC).

Even if they could make an agreement to get their hands on the IWD series, I don't think that's ever happening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's just not enough demand to justify all the money and man-hours such a project would require. IWD still has quite a few fans (me included), but certainly not as much as BG. And I'd wager, not enough to make a re-release profitable.

I think it's much more likely that we'll get an unnoficial port of IWD to the EE version of the Infinity Engine. It's not an impossible task - http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=155
    Post edited by Kilivitz on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Instead of making an enhanced edition, why not use the mechanics of IWD in a new custom party adventure?