Skip to content

NPC Color Changes in the 2014 patch

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'd say Baeloth is part of the high expectations.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yeah, I can't follow that. :)

On the other hand, the new colors mesh much better with this mod: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14965/mr-pennyways-cosmetic-changes

/shameless plug
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Preaching to the quire, I already have that installed. Still desperate for a green-black evil arch magi robe for Xzar (without making Edwin green, too).

/shameless hint
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    edited February 2013
    From a quick peak to NI I noticed that thief skills (and ranger steath and bards pick pokets) are now externalized to 2DA. Also 10 custom sound slots added.
    Post edited by Pecca on
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128

A really big thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, which I think is great, though not everyone will like it:

All the Familiars have been rebalanced - they only have 12 HP (9 HP in the case of the Imp) and only give the character 6 HP (maybe less for the Imp, though I haven't tested it) and have had their abilities scaled back (usually removing one of their spells or reducing the effectiveness of their main abilities).

Your existing familiar is stored in the save file, so it won't change with the patch. However, any new familiars you summon in that game will use the updated stats.

There's a table which shows the new and old familiars available, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but I've asked if I can.

I think this is a great change, as using the existing familiars was OP in BGEE and felt cheesy, now I can use familiars without feeling guilty, though I suspect some won't like the changes!
    It's really cool change imo. By the way, is the spell still allowed to main character only? I think that every arcane caster should be able to handle his/her own familiar now...
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Hoo said:

A really big thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, which I think is great, though not everyone will like it:

All the Familiars have been rebalanced - they only have 12 HP (9 HP in the case of the Imp) and only give the character 6 HP (maybe less for the Imp, though I haven't tested it) and have had their abilities scaled back (usually removing one of their spells or reducing the effectiveness of their main abilities).

Your existing familiar is stored in the save file, so it won't change with the patch. However, any new familiars you summon in that game will use the updated stats.

There's a table which shows the new and old familiars available, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but I've asked if I can.

I think this is a great change, as using the existing familiars was OP in BGEE and felt cheesy, now I can use familiars without feeling guilty, though I suspect some won't like the changes!
    It's really cool change imo. By the way, is the spell still allowed to main character only? I think that every arcane caster should be able to handle his/her own familiar now...
    Not sure, but I'd be *very* surprised if they changed this
    ajwz said:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16298/game-update-1-0-2014
    @Aosaw said: There's also another change, but I'll let people discover it for themselves.

Anyone found it yet?

Edit: It's new colours for a lot of the joinable npcs

The other change I reported earlier is more significant I think...
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Agreed. Who cares about color schemes, familiar rebalancing is HUGE.
    Fafnir said:

BTW currently the Quasit is possibly the most powerful familiar, as it still has Horror and all its elemental resistances
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Why would they change the color of the joinable NPCs is beyond my understanding.

I mean, what's the point.
    Aranthys said:

Why would they change the color of the joinable NPCs is beyond my understanding.

Well, Imoen's pink was fairly horrible
    edited February 2013
    Horrible or not, it's
    - canon
    - vanilla
    - can be changed by anyone right after recruiting her

I mean, come on, don't they have anything else to do than changing this ?

If they start changing "vanilla" stuff, can't they make changes that actually benefit the game.

I'm basically disappointed about that change.
    That, and creating a (quite) bugged kit that's totally imbalanced with infinite invisibility (And if you give it a cloak of non-detection, it's also immune to true seeing, heh. Only creatures that can see through invisibility will be able to pose a threat to a Shadow Dancer. Guess how many of these there are in BG1 ? )

On the other hand, the change to familiar is somewhat OK. They were imbalanced at level 1, but still were useless quite fast in the game.

What would have been nice is a familiar improving along its caster. That'd be "enhanced", rater than a simple .CRE change.

That, and the foreign languages still NOT beeing correctly available four month after the release of the game is really disappointing to me.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Fafnir said:

BTW currently the Quasit is possibly the most powerful familiar, as it still has Horror and all its elemental resistances
    I was surprised by this when playing Black Pits... I'd been hoping to use my Faerie Dragon to cheese through a fight or two.

At higher levels, do we get our old Familiars back? Or will we see them only in Shadows of Amn EE?
    Aranthys said:

Aesthetics.
    edited February 2013
    Nifft said:

Fafnir said:

I was surprised by this when playing Black Pits... I'd been hoping to use my Faerie Dragon to cheese through a fight or two.
    The Quasit does lose it's Blur ability, though and it's magic resistance is only 15% instead of 25%
    Nifft said:

At higher levels, do we get our old Familiars back? Or will we see them only in Shadows of Amn EE?

Only in SoA, I think
    Nifft said:

Aranthys said:

Aesthetics.
    +1

Aranthys said:

Aesthetics.
    Come on.
    She wears Pink in her portrait, she's always been pink, and that purple is even worse than Pink.

The only thing that somehow enhanced there is the fact that she got a color that's not actually selectable for PC thanks to the extended palette component from the 1PP mod that's been included in the game (not that the inclusion is bad, it's actually great ! )

Aranthys said:

Aranthys said:

Aesthetics.
    Come on.
    She wears Pink in her portrait, she's always been pink, and that purple is even worse than Pink.

The portrait is more purple than pink IMHO

edited February 2013

Aranthys said:

Aranthys said:

Aesthetics.
    Come on.
    The portrait is more purple than pink IMHO

Come on, you can't be serious. I mean, see below : Left is her portrait, upper right is her new colors, lower right is her vanilla colors.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It has the added benifit of adding uniquely coloured adorners to the feet of most npcs. Also, if you dont like these colors, you can switch them back under customisation, but you cant switch to them in the first place because those colours dont exist on the palette
    edited February 2013
    ajwz said:

It has the added benifit of adding uniquely coloured adorners to the feet of most npcs. Also, if you dont like these colors, you can switch them back under customisation, but you cant switch to them in the first place because those colours dont exist on the palette

Then a real enhancement would have been to grant additional colors available by enhancing the color picking UI, rather than change the base colors. I mean, come on, why change what doesn't need to be changed ? Why even make a change that doesn't even make sense considering her portrait color ?

For the sake of it ?
    edited February 2013
    You are confusing the background to the colour of her clothing.

Her original outfit is closer in colour to the background of her portrait.
    Her new outfit is closer in colour to here outfit in her portrairt

Cover up the top half of her portrait with your hand and then compare
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    ajwz said:

Nope. Still closer to the pink.
    ajwz said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree. At best, it's about as close to her portrait as her vanilla color is.
    Come on, Imoen not beeing pink, that can't be.
    What about now?
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited February 2013
    ajwz said:

What about now?

@pecca and @Aranthys are probably looking at the cloth closer to her armpits (more like her "major" color) and you're probably looking at the trimming (more like the "minor" color).

I agree that the older vanilla colors were more accurate. It's not a big deal, we can easily change it back. Giving us more options ain't too bad - considering how some people hated her vanilla colors.
    So the old colour should be the major colour, and the new colour should be the4 minor colour then?

I could see that working.
    edited February 2013
    The color you're comparing is her secondary color. It's the color at the top of her boobs, and it was never pink, even in vanilla.
    I'm talking about the change they made to her MAIN color. It used to be, and SHOULD be pink according to her portrait.
    I mean, don't look right around her boobs, but a little further than that. That's PINK.

Well, technically, it's MAGENTA rather than the STATE BLUE color they chose.

Edit.: Her secondary color is something LIKE THIS
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Aranthys said:

The color you're comparing is her secondary color. It's the color at the top of her boobs, and it was never pink, even in vanilla.
    I'm talking about the change they made to her MAIN color. It used to be, and SHOULD be pink according to her portrait.
    I mean, don't look right around her boobs, but a little further than that. That's PINK.

Well, technically, it's MAGENTA rather than the STATE BLUE color they chose.

Well mate, if ye dislike the new color, feel free to change 'er back to pink.

That changin' one bloomin' NPC's color has sparked this argument astounds me.

On a more positive note, I love the new color. The more changes they can make to the original, the better. Something good quickly loses it's charm when it gets repetitive.