Skip to content

post patch trouble opening doors and containers

duke5of5duke5of5 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2013 in Fixed
I just downloaded the latest patch today. Have started two new characters, and both have trouble opening doors and containers and going through doors (am still in Candlekeep). I keep clicking repeatedly on doorways and containers and character moves there, but more times than not, doesn't open container or go through doors, although they sometimes do. I also clicked on enemies to fight (like in the bunkhouse), and the characters wouldn't do anything. And sometimes I clicked on other characters to talk to them, and nothing happened. The characters should be able to open all contianers, go through doors, and interact with both enemies and non-enemies. I didn't have this problem before downloading this latest patch. It seems to be unplayable now.
Post edited by Jalily on
atcDave

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    edited February 2013
    I'm having the same issue.

Edit: Did a little more testing.

Current behavior: Clicking a door, container, or building entrance will move the character to the exact location clicked, but will not open the container, door, or move area. Right clicking anywhere on the screen resets this and the next left click will usually open the door/container/move to area. Left button behavior while bugged seems to be simply move-to-cursor-position, instead of move-to-coordinates to initiate door toggle/container access/move to area.

Expected Behavior: Left Click will always open doors, access containers, or move to area once the character reaches the appropriate coordinates.
  • Current behavior: With the latest patch (V1.0.2014), pausing the game, then selecting the Attack Icon (or F2) does nothing. The characters stand around and do nothing, or move to a location. In order to get them to attack, you need to unpause the game, and then issue the command. This occurs when selecting one character, multiple characters, or all of them using the "Select All" key.

Expected behavior: Selecting Attack/F2 while the game is paused will cause the players to attack, the same behavior as if the game were live/unpaused.
    Further testing: The bug only seems to occur when there is only one character in the party.
  • Gief_EnthusiastGief_Enthusiast Member Posts: 1
    I'm going to come out of lurking because of this bug - which is pretty huge and renders the game almost unplayable - But I found a method that works for me.

When you click to make an action, if you click slowly (Yes I'm talking about how much time you take to move your finger, as stupid as that is), the action is overwritten with the MOVE command. If you click quickly (again, finger speed) - The correct action is performed.

This is affected by what 'Maximum Frame Rate' you set your game to into the baldur.ini located in Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. If you run the game default '30' you might not even notice this bug, however I like to play at '60' and it is very evident there.

The MOVE command overwrites anything from attacking/picking up items/dialogue/door transitions/Question Mark Flavour Text on signs etc - And naturally makes it hell trying to do anything in the game.
    sarevok57Wilbur
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I don't experience this, but am using the standard 30 fps - are you using a higher fps?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    edited February 2013
    I suppose that by fixing the fast click command bug, they introduced the slow click command bug. However I play with 35 fps and I almost don't notice it. Still they obviously have a lot of trouble dealing with this clicking thing. I blame iPad.
    Post edited by Pecca on
    Interesting. I play at 45 MFR.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    I'm affected too ... !

A disaster ! I'm Stuck in Candlekeep, can enter the inn to get gear .... if i leave candlekeep, ill be killed with no gear

GODDAMIT OVERHAUL GAMES .... THE GAME IS 3 MONTHS OLD, AND NOW I CANT ENTER DOORS / DOORWAYS ... FOR FUCKS SAKE !!
  • MaathMaath Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I've got the same problem here, playing with a 6 character group (with one dead) on windows vista laptop. Fighting werewolves has become impossible, the party just stands there and enjoys the show... and I play with a maximum frame rate 30. Any ideas? 'Fast clicking' seems to me like a hint but not an real solution, don't you think?
    Game worked perfectly fine before installing the latest update.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    I have had same problem
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Not having this problem in single player, but in a multiplayer game with the wife last night, she couldn't enter any building inside of Candlekeep, nor open boxes or barrels. We thought we had a mouse issue, and swapped mice, but that didn't help. Did not have this problem before patch. Also multiplayer lag is back again, near as bad as it was at launch. No fun playing when you can't really tell where the enemies are because of lag.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    The problem seems worst with targeting in combat. In most cases, a double click solves it, but not always.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The game is acting a little glitchy with the new patch (v1.0.2014) for area transitions, loot drops, and initiation of dialogue. Sometimes when I try to leave an area it doesn't work. I then move back from the exit and try again, and it works. It's more or less the same behavior with loot drops and initiating dialogue. When selecting a loot drop it doesn't always display the loot contents when the character is standing over the drop. When I open the character's inventory the items are however visible on the ground. Similarly, sometimes I have to approach a character and click to initiate dialogue from several different angles before the dialogue window appears.

The game is still very playable, but it's obviously not working quite right.

I don't have any mods installed but I did place the files for the XP Cap Remover and Mr. Pennyway's Cosmetic Changes in the Overrride folder.
    atcDave
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think i am having the same problem, when i click on a loot drop for example it looks like the game thinks that i right clicked instead and i get a formation click instead of a pick up click, if that makes any sense, so sometimes i have to click on the loot drop like 3 or 4 times before my character actually goes to pick it up, and did you have the same problem with winthrop's inn? i almost couldnt even get out of the inn because my character would just walk to the door and not go through
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    You're victim of the new slow-click bug. Essentially you need to click very fast to trigger the action other than movement. This seems to be a result of fixing the click-twice-to-select-action bug.
    See here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16329/post-patch-trouble-opening-doors-and-containers
    edited February 2013
    @Bigfish i have a team of six and its still doing this nonsense, the game is playable but man its hard to keep sanity with this clicking load of rubbish
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm having the same problem with picking up items which is really annoying. I think I'll try lowering maximum frame rate (60 atm) for now and see if that helps.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited February 2013
    Yes, on high framerate, if you click the mouse too long, the action is scrapped.
    The action should be only registered when the mouse button is released, so the length of the click has no effect on it.

It is easy to reproduce even in low framerates. If you click on one partymember, then click on another (with holding the mouse a bit down), the other partymember won't be selected.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Is this bug related to "fixed party members do not comply to their orders the first time"?

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7788/bug-party-member-do-not-comply-to-their-orders-the-first-time#latest
    I decided to do not download the newest patch then.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I played quite a lot of the game last night, with the latest patch installed. We're talking a good few hours. I never encountered any problems, either with entering doorways or caves, nor selecting characters to move or enemies to attack. I was also able to rummage through every loot drop, without a problem. I ventured between Nashkel, the Carnival and the Gnoll Stronghold, as well as a few surrounding areas.

My 'Max Frame Rate' would be the default value, which I believe is 30. I left-click sharp and clean. It would be my right-click where I tend to hold the click a tad longer.

I had problems prior to this patch with characters not responding to their first time commands, which was very frustrating as I like to micro-manage character position and party formation a lot during combat.
  • Thanks for your replies all. I am using the default value, as I have never changed my FPS for this game. I will experiment with this value now and see if any settingsmake the current patch more playable.
  • JohnBenJohnBen Member Posts: 3
    This bug makes the game unplayable for me... I have to left-click 5 or 6 times before I can get one fast enough to register. Since I also like to micromanage my battles, this adds up to a unbearable number of clicks.
    Gonna have to just quit playing until they fix this.
    *sigh*
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I was running the game at 60 fps pre patch and ran into this bug as well (same problem with initiating conversation and picking up stuff). On my PC I found out that at 40 fps the bug was unnoticeable and at 50 fps which I'm currently playing with it works well enough.
    so i recall someone saying something about the speed in which you click the mouse can make this go away and it does, if you click incredibly fast then you will be able to pick up things/go through doors/select things/etc
    Happened to me too yesterday. Curious about what can go wrong yet with this "Enhanced Edition". Once upon a time it was a vanilla edition with 400 bugs. Now we have thousands. And with every patch it gets worse. "The characters are not doing what we order them for the first time" bug was less annoying as this. Now you can't open doors or chests, pick up loot, or even fight if you click bad.
  • JohnBenJohnBen Member Posts: 3
    For what it's worth, I am running the default frame rate (30 fps) and the game is unplayable because of this bug (see my comments above). I have to echo Sese79 comments... it is disheartening to have a raft of new game-killing bugs introduced with every patch.
    @JohnBen What I don't understand is why they don't test it before release? We paid for an open beta...
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    sarevok57 said:

so i recall someone saying something about the speed in which you click the mouse can make this go away and it does, if you click incredibly fast then you will be able to pick up things/go through doors/select things/etc

I have found that to be (mostly) true. Just by clicking fast everything seems to work fine. I defeated Sarevok last night (err, sorry Sarevok57!) so it is definitely doable.