Skip to content

Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Same thing, and even worse: Firebead doesn't give me the Beregost quest. I picked his pocket twice; first time I got the book (the one he'd trade the Fateful Coin for), after that "target has no items". NO SCROLL CASE.
    StalkinPanda
  • EskilEskil Member Posts: 1
    I just downloaded BGEE OS X yesterday (v2014). I can report the same bug, I won't get any scroll from Thetoril.
  • ViccoVicco Member Posts: 12
    Can't seem to get my character to have Tethtoril give the identify scroll of Firebead. It's in my quest Journal. But, every time I talk to Tethtoril, I get "Tethtoril has nothing to say to you." dialogue.

Is this specific to the Mac? I was able to get the scroll in the Windows version.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I had this bug aswell.
  • DevilsAdvocateDevilsAdvocate Member Posts: 3
    Hit the same bug. Has anyone been able to get the scroll or did Vicco, drawnacrol and I do something strange to trip the bug?

I thought about stealing the scroll, but since I'm a Cleric, obviously that was out. Then I tried killing Tethteril to get the scroll and he mopped the floor with me. :)
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Wow, just wow. I'd fire these programmers. How do you screw this up? It's the VERY FIRST QUEST IN THE GAME! I've been using hacks as of recently just to get through this bugged up "game." If these patches keep getting released with the same crappy untested quality, then I'm going to go back to the original Baldur's Gate on GOG. At least THAT game had an identity, a direction, and was tested and made with care.
    MonkLover
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    This is a new issue, but it is reported and the devs are looking at it.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

Wow, just wow. I'd fire these programmers. How do you screw this up? It's the VERY FIRST QUEST IN THE GAME! I've been using hacks as of recently just to get through this bugged up "game." If these patches keep getting released with the same crappy untested quality, then I'm going to go back to the original Baldur's Gate on GOG. At least THAT game had an identity, a direction, and was tested and made with care.

Dude, uncalled for. The team are working very hard, and with a game as huge as BG, the occasional bug will slip through. I'm not justifying a lack of QT, and I do think that more is needed, but come on, calm down. I mean, calling for the team to be fired? Get real.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Dude, uncalled for. The team are working very hard, and with a game as huge as BG, the occasional bug will slip through. I'm not justifying a lack of QT, and I do think that more is needed, but come on, calm down. I mean, calling for the team to be fired? Get real.
    Quite - there will always be a tension between wanting to get a patch out quickly to satisfy demand and being able to check everything thoroughly
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

Quite - there will always be a tension between wanting to get a patch out quickly to satisfy demand and being able to check everything thoroughly
    Exactly. The team could delay for weeks or months playing every aspect of the entire game to make sure that absolutely everything is 100% perfect - which just isn't possible.
  • StarhowlStarhowl Member Posts: 39
    I, as well, had this bug.
    But it's okay... You don't need to worry about that anymore. I think I've had enough of your Enhanced Edition - not going to buy any of your games ever again. :)
  • SignhildSignhild Member Posts: 6
    When I got the assignment to get an identification scroll from Tethtoril in Candlekeep I just couldn't get it from him. He just keeps talking about me meeting Gorion as soon as possible. And after I talked to him four times he just won't talk to me anymore.
    I'm using Mac OS 10.8.2 and the latest, and as far as I know, the only version so far of BG:EE.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    This has been reported.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bgplayaEudaemonium
  • CadellinCadellin Member Posts: 12
    :) Yes I have the same problem
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    Starhowl said:

I, as well, had this bug.
    But it's okay... You don't need to worry about that anymore. I think I've had enough of your Enhanced Edition - not going to buy any of your games ever again. :)

Really? This is such a minor issue that it hardly affects the game.

• comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    it is reported bug. another one that I've heard before of and that I have is the Kagain bug, he keeps spamming me in Nashkel after I kick him out of party. annoying.
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

Question: why is "game" in quotes? Is this some sarcastic rhetorical attack intended to imply that this is not, in fact, a game?
    Also: seriously? It *is* the first quest in the game. If your reaction to a non-fatal bug at the beginning of the game is to throw a tantrum, start hurling feces and misusing sarcastic quotation marks, then perhaps this awesome community that's sprung up around the EE isn't for you. Just saying.
    SirK8
  • LegolpLegolp Member Posts: 14
    Same bug for me ...
  • reduandewolfereduandewolfe Member Posts: 2
    Balquo said:

I've already reported this but here is a quickfix in the mean time. This may require a new game to work.

Stick both files in the override folder.

Thank you very much, it works for me too.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    It seems that when you do the 30 for 300 exploit on Firebead Elvenhair, Tethtoril does not give you the scroll he is looking for. He just says that he is proud of you and to go speak with Gorion and Firebead says 'Have you spoken to Tethtoril yet?'

Have a feeling it's related to the 30 for 300 exploit

• PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited February 2013
    Normally, it's a simple matter of getting the quest by talking to Firebead Elvenhair, then talking to Tethtoril to get the scroll, then returning to Firebead.

Now, speaking to Tethtoril only results in one of the "go talk to Gorion" dialogues, and he will not relinquish the scroll.

I've also tried it by talking to Tethtoril, then Firebead to get the quest, then back to Tethtoril, but it still wouldn't work.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16308/firebeads-quest-thethoril-will-not-give-the-scroll/p1

About a dozen posts down in that thread is a hotfix for this bug.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Threads merged.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Thanks!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Same happened to me. I think it is the new update. Ugh.

This program code is a den of steenking evil! Cover you nose, Boo.

Good news is that they'll fix it. :D
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    tilly said:

Same thing, and even worse: Firebead doesn't give me the Beregost quest. I picked his pocket twice; first time I got the book (the one he'd trade the Fateful Coin for), after that "target has no items". NO SCROLL CASE.
    Really? :( That sucks. He gave me the Beregost quest and scroll case. Granted I did go there immediately after the Candlekeep quest didn't work -- maybe it has to do with a timer of some sort?

No, but you need to make sure that CHARNAME or Imoen (who both hail from Candlekeep) are the ones who speak to Firebeard in Beregost