Skip to content

Would Overhaul do a quick ninja fix?

Just wondering if I have to wait until next patch (eta?) for some fixes on some of the new bugs that crept up with the new patch (really, I am only bothered by the bug that causes actions not to be registered), or if they will do a hotfix to address that problem before the next patch.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    100 pounds of gold, if I recall.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    bdeonovic said:

Just wondering if I have to wait until next patch (eta?) for some fixes on some of the new bugs that crept up with the new patch (really, I am only bothered by the bug that causes actions not to be registered), or if they will do a hotfix to address that problem before the next patch.

You're not the only one bothered, be sure of that.
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    what ninja?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

what ninja?

/facepalm
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SpaceInvader
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited February 2013
    I think we're better off not holding our breath for fixes before the next patch, and the reasons are...

1) They are making a point of keeping builds consistent across platforms. While a hotfix for Windows/Mac would be relatively easy to roll out, I don't think the same applies to the iPad and/or Android.

2) It's probably easier for them to manage bigger updates on a larger time frame than several hotfixes. It's not that they aren't aware of the bugs, it's just that in prioritizing things, bugs that are not game-breaking tend to fall back to the end of the queue.

I was a little irked by the bugs that creeped out with this latest patch, but that's kind of inevitable with software development and it's a little price to pay for having so many new features introduced.

EDIT: I don't mean to be condescending to anyone, but as annoying as bugs are, it's important to keep in mind that longtime fans have been, in the lack of a better term, spoiled by 10+ years of games with final patches and tons of fixes done by a very active modding community.

The release of this EE kinda brings us back in that regard. BG has gone from a finished product to a version still going through some growing pains. As I said, it's the price we pay for having an updated game that plays well with current systems/resolutions and adds a bunch of new content.
  • bdeonovicbdeonovic Member Posts: 86
    Kilivitz said:

I think we're better off not holding our breath for fixes before the next patch, and the reasons are...

1) They are making a point of keeping builds consistent across platforms. While a hotfix for Windows/Mac would be relatively easy to roll out, I don't think the same applies to the iPad and/or Android.

2) It's probably easier for them to manage bigger updates on a larger time frame than several hotfixes. It's not that they aren't aware of the bugs, it's just that in prioritizing things, bugs that are not game-breaking tend to fall back to the end of the queue.

I was a little irked by the bugs that creeped out with this latest patch, but that's kind of inevitable with software development and it's a little price to pay for having so many new features introduced.

EDIT: I don't mean to be condescending to anyone, but as annoying as bugs are, it's important to keep in mind that longtime fans have been, in the lack of a better term, spoiled by 10+ years of games with final patches and tons of fixes done by a very active modding community.

The release of this EE kinda brings us back in that regard. BG has gone from a finished product to a version still going through some growing pains. As I said, it's the price we pay for having an updated game that plays well with current systems/resolutions and adds a bunch of new content.

I totally agree...I can fully understand how difficult software development is and especially when you have several platforms to manage and companies to satisfy. I wonder if some of the bugs were due to the "code rewrite"
    A lot are due to the "code rewrite", another way to describe their complete revamping of the game engine. Most are related to the new content and/or changes and additions that have been made.

It's frustrating when things that worked perfectly (in a way) seem to be broken by what is called an enhanced version of the game, but there's a lot more going on than the average user (me and 99,9% of the fanbase) know about.

Me, I'm just doing my best to be patient. It's just a matter of time until most of the issues are fixed and we see a final patch and then he game will be as stable/reliable as it was back in the day.

I see a few folks in these forums acting all uppity about how they are better off playing Tutu or BGT and wonder how is that gonna work out in a few years. With every new generation of computers/operating systems, it gets harder and harder to have a smooth experience with the old versions. And for those saying that GoG's version solves those issues, well, I have my GoG copies to attest that no, it's not that simple.

At the end of the day, this is why I'm so glad the EEs are happening. Because that way I'm sure I'll be able to enjoy these games a few more years down the line without relying on having older machines taking up space and maintenance time just to run my favorite games.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

what ninja?

Ninjas possess some extraordinary abilities so you should always aim for a "ninja fix" when creating a patch.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    It would be one thing if the new bugs were minor. Breaking the point and click interface is kind of a big deal.
    @Bigfish I though this bug was mostly related to playing with higher FPS rates. Is it not?
    Kilivitz said:

@Bigfish I though this bug was mostly related to playing with higher FPS rates. Is it not?

Its related to how long you hold down the mouse button. It's more noticeable at higher frame rates.

Bigfish said:

Kilivitz said:

Its related to how long you hold down the mouse button. It's more noticeable at higher frame rates.

I think the reason is that it's how many frames you hold the button not the time it takes.

For practicalities sake, they are pretty much the same thing, the key issue being that end users don't count frames.

Even given that they were trying to add some functionality with a mouse-down > count frames > mouse-up algorithm, they went with setting a pretty quick interpretation of what a normal mouse click is instead of defining a generous hold-click.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    So does that mean you should hold the click longer or make it shorter to lose the problem?
    Wanderon said:

So does that mean you should hold the click longer or make it shorter to lose the problem?

You should hold it shorter.

Wanderon[Deleted User]