Skip to content

NPC Color Changes in the 2014 patch

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    They added many new colors in BG:EE, compared to the vanilla game.
    I won't be at the pc for a week, but as far as I can see Imoen's new color is one of them.
    I wonder why they don't put them in the palette... :/
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think they were trying to put them on the palette, but there aren't enough spaces at present so its probably more complicated tahn it appears
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Erg said:

Changing Rasaad's class to the Sun Soul Monk kit would have been a way bigger deal and made more sense. Testing that, why? He's a rather weak NPC as it is; even if he got a bugged kit, it wouldn't have hurt him. He'd still be standing in Nashkel, screaming about justice, in most games. Only differences: The kit would match his backstory and more people would take him along to try it, which is arguably better than very few people taking him along. Weak class or bugged-yet-potentially-still-stronger kit? I'd pick the latter because it at least has potential.

Fafnir said:

Rasaad, just because he's a member of the Order doesn't mean he has to be a Sun Soul Monk. First of all, not everybody has a kit; those things are rare. Second, he's strongly moon-themed, to the point that I find the current Sun Soul Monk a bad fit, more appropriate for a devotee of Lathander, Sune or Amaunator.

Maybe in BG2EE he'll be found again at the Temple of Amaunator with a new, shiny kit acquired through training and meditation. Right now, he's still just a young monk. I like him the way he is.

Considering that some people would like Rasaad to be Sun Soul Monk, while others prefer he stays the way he is, maybe someone should make a WEIDU mod to change his kit, so anyone can choose for himself.

Oh wait, they already did :D

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16398/mod-give-rasaad-the-sun-soul-monk-kit-as-intended-v3
    Any way to change an already existing monk that isn't Rasaad into a sun soul monk? Or is that a job for Shadowkeeper (can Shadowkeeper do it since it is a new kit?)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    You could use Near Infinity to do it, I think.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    toanwrath said:

Any way to change an already existing monk that isn't Rasaad into a sun soul monk? Or is that a job for Shadowkeeper (can Shadowkeeper do it since it is a new kit?)

Yes, EEKeeper is better suited to edit savegames (the linked Weidu mod will change Rasaad but only if you start a new game or you've not yet met him). I didn't try it myself, but the following post explains how to do it using EEKeeper:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/268547/#Comment_268547
    Erg said:

toanwrath said:

Yes, EEKeeper is better suited to edit savegames (the linked Weidu mod will change Rasaad but only if you start a new game or you've not yet met him). I didn't try it myself, but the following post explains how to do it using EEKeeper:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/268547/#Comment_268547
    Thank you for that! My brother and I have a game where we finally got to Baldur's Gate, and now his Lawful Good monk wishes he was a sun soul and we REALLY didn't want to have to start over...

You could use Near Infinity to do it, I think.

I am not familiar with this program, though I have seen it mentioned. Is it similar to Shadowkeeper?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I haven't read through all the pages in the thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I think it's worth noting. The changes in NPC colors only take effect when starting a completely new game. All NPCs will be their original colors in any existing game even if you haven't met them yet.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    edited February 2013
    As far as undisclosed changes go, I can tell you that Sarevok's weapon is now magical, so you can no longer make a mockery of him by casting Wraithform. He will chop your mage in half a round.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    tilly said:

Ah so you didn't try to drink them this time? ;)

It's an easy mistake to make. They're green, just like Sprite™ bottles >.>
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    For further clarification for those wondering why the extended palette entries weren't included:

There are over two-hundred of them. Two-Hundred.

Some things are just better left to savegame editors.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Jalily said:

There are two empty spots in the color-picking menu that could conveniently be used for arrow keys. ;)image

Arrows? I never even saw the Indians... ;-)

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Aosaw said:

That few?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I just got the secret NPC. I think his portrait pic sort of looks like Mark Rolston.

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Aosaw said:

That few?
    It's an old game.

Maybe they hadn't discovered other colors yet.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Aosaw said:

For further clarification for those wondering why the extended palette entries weren't included:

From ShadowKeeper they seem less than that.
    But most important, many colors are designed for specific spots.
    Example: a certain color may work fine for Metal but will cause a crash if used as Major Color.
    So, just for that, you can already exclude more or less 1/4 of the colors...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    tilly said:

A color change I approve of: The Mysterious Liquid bottles in the Nashkel mines don't look like Antidote potions anymore. This makes them a whole lot more mysterious.

Ah so you didn't try to drink them this time? ;)
    Actually, it's not very convenient for the "stupid run" I plan... In that run, I'd play a charname too stupid to live, who would obviously immediately think the mysterious antidote makes him immune to poison before getting poisoned and drink them. ;)
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Aosaw said:

Well, the editors suck at this. For one, you can't see the result until restarting and if you have chosen the wrong color the game crashes. It takes about extra 10-15 minutes per char trying to find a good colour combination for all the newly created characters by using editors. Enough potential play-time is already spent on rolling stats. ;)

Two hundred colours don't really sound like much. However, I have no idea how much work would it require to implement something like an extended colour palette... I can only hope it happens someday. :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I don't demand 200 colors. I'd be happy with a few more logical choices - colors that are useful for hair and skin of the playable races. It's not THAT many different colors, and hair/skin are even less choices than clothes now. A normal brown, black and red, grey... and a few fancy colors like non-rave glowstick blue and purple would do.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Since we're on the topic, does anyone know if the Extended Palettes from 1PP work with BGEE?
    ajwz said:

There should be a toggle option under graphics: Display normal palette/ Display FABULOUS palette

When speaking FABULOUS in this sentence, are jazz hands or spirit fingers mandatory or optional?

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Aosaw said:

Also, I now need to check if Shar-Teel was changed. On her portrait, she's clearly a blonde, but the paperdoll had orange-brown hair.

Also, I now need to check if Shar-Teel was changed.

need to check if Shar-Teel was changed.

check if Shar-Teel was changed.

Shar-Teel

...I knew I forgot somebody.
    @Aosaw

Maybe you're already aware, but there is another small incongruence with Shar-Teel colours (other than the mismatched hair colour)

SHARTE.CRE has different colours than SHARTE4.CRE and SHARTE6.CRE:

SHARTE.CRE:
    Major color: Color index 21
    Minor color: Color index 27

SHARTE4.CRE & SHARTE6.CRE:
    Major color: Color index 66
    Minor color: Color index 21
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's good to know; I'll take a look at all of them and make sure they match up.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I find it interesting how much people appear wrapped up over character colors. Anyway, I only started a new game after the patch and rolled around Candlekeep. When the Tehtoril quest didn't work, and I couldn't have 17 DEX, I stopped that game and haven't gotten back to it. I think they hotfixed these issues, but I was sort of worried about future quests having issues post-patch and not wanting to deal with that.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Yeah, I want bother with this version of the game too anymore until it doesn't feel like a beta anymore.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2013
    Two thoughts:
    1) You might want to rename the thread to something like 'Color changes in the patch' to more accurately reflect where this thread has gone.
    2) I concur with the earlier point made by 'ajwz' that, in regards to color changes, what I care about is the color-code circles around each character's feet instead of all my party having matching blue rings. It makes it much easier to rapidly assess who is where when I'm deciding which party member should attack which enemy.