Skip to content

Are you waiting for the App Store version of BGEE?

I'm thinking about waiting for the approved Mac App Store version of BGEE - because I want to use the App Store as much as possible, so I have ONE central place where I can update most of my applications.

Is there any information about when BGEE will hit the Mac App Store?

Comments

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    It's been submitted, so within two weeks.
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 13
    I'm busy with work and I have some credit on my Apple ID so I will get this edition. I've waited enough so a couple more weeks won't hurt. I'm so glad that it's a reality now.
  • TacoheadTacohead Member Posts: 8
    I was going to get it from the Mac App Store but I caved yesterday. I also have a lot of iTunes credit but since it's clear they're going to keep updating the game I decided I didn't want to have to wait for every single update to be approved by Apple. I also felt better knowing that purchasing directly means the developers get more money.

Besides it's not like I'll never have any other use for iTunes credit as I have an iPhone, iPad, and iMac.

-PN
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Hell no, waiting is not fun at all.

As a bonus, apparently Beamdog gets more of my $ since I bought it directly from them. I have nothing against Apple, but supporting the underdog does feel nice.
    bgplayanpu
  • AurytAuryt Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2013
    I am waiting for it as well. But I might cave in soon haha.

@FuzzyPuffin Oh was it submitted again? I remember Trent mentioning on his twitter on the 16th that it was submitted already and it should be out 10+ days from then? I was hoping it would come out in a couple of days from now :(
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    You probably have your reasons, but the launcher checks for updates every time you start the game in a completely painless way. On top of this, Beamdog gets more of the money out of direct sales, so that's always nice. Then theres the whole DRM case against the app store, and while I haven't run into problems with them specifically, I have been screwed from other services with invasive DRM (*cough* Steam *cough*) in that I was stopped from playing games that I purchased.
    Moomintrollnpu
    I'm scared of the launcher. It has a big "restore" button next to the "launch" button. What if my hand slips, and I accidentally delete all of my mods?
    Huh? Mine only has a launch button. Than again, I never modded anything.
  • willwillwillwill Member Posts: 23
    I'm also waiting. Last and next weekends are busy and like doener I wan't keep most of my apps in same place. I'm not making an account for just one game.

And if MAS takes a slice from profit it has benefits too. It is easy to use and popular marketplace and I think their servers are far more capable so it does not go down with peaks.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Nifft said:

I'm scared of the launcher. It has a big "restore" button next to the "launch" button. What if my hand slips, and I accidentally delete all of my mods?

Yeah, but what if your mods completely bork the game? Restore just re-downloads the files which are messed up. With the App Store you have to blow it away and re-download the whole 2 Gb.
    Moomintroll
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    bgplaya said:

Then theres the whole DRM case against the app store, and while I haven't run into problems with them specifically, I have been screwed from other services with invasive DRM (*cough* Steam *cough*) in that I was stopped from playing games that I purchased.

Wait, what?
    Also, could getting it from app store affect the possibilities of modding the game?

MAS version of Civilization V can be modded so why not BG.
    Cerevant said:

Nifft said:

Yeah, but what if your mods completely bork the game? Restore just re-downloads the files which are messed up. With the App Store you have to blow it away and re-download the whole 2 Gb.
    Oh absolutely. I will just avoid the Beamdog launcher until I bork up my BGEE install with mods.
    Cerevant
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EudaemoniumMoomintrollStickan
    In the last year I've started transitioning from physical media to digital. My concerns about doing this is that I might buy digital content from a company which will not exist in 5 or 10 years. Buying with Apple I am far less concerned about that as they are the biggest company in the world with the most billions in the bank.

I've read on this forum some people being very happy that there is no DRM on the Beamdog version but am not sure why this is important because if you buy from the Mac App Store or Steam you are still able to download it as many times as you want.

Also, does anybody know if the system for modding will work with Mac App store version?
    Kratos said:

I've read on this forum some people being very happy that there is no DRM on the Beamdog version but am not sure why this is important because if you buy from the Mac App Store or Steam you are still able to download it as many times as you want.

Its a matter of principle more than anything, to me. Do I want to own the game, or do I want to own the rights to play a game? I'd prefer the former.

As I alluded to in my other post, I've been screwed by companies with invasive DRM policies before. Steam, to be more specific. Basically, I wasn't allowed to download a game I had paid money for, no matter how much I pleaded with their customer support (I even showed them my bank transactions, which clearly stated that I had paid them for the game!), I wasn't refunded or given the game (or rather the right to download it, since that is, after all, all they are selling). Since then, I have refused to buy a game through their service. It may be inevitable, but I won't support the direction the gaming industry is going in.
    Kratos
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    willwill said:

MAS version of Civilization V can be modded so why not BG.

Because the world is a cruel, cruel place.

bgplaya
    bgplaya said:

I've been screwed by companies with invasive DRM policies before. Steam, to be more specific. Basically, I wasn't allowed to download a game I had paid money for, no matter how much I pleaded with their customer support (I even showed them my bank transactions, which clearly stated that I had paid them for the game!), I wasn't refunded or given the game (or rather the right to download it, since that is, after all, all they are selling). Since then, I have refused to buy a game through their service. It may be inevitable, but I won't support the direction the gaming industry is going in.

Fair point. I totally understand what you are saying that's why I have been reluctant to use digital services. In the UK major video game chain GAME went bust last year. Many customers had bought PC games via download which effectively meant losing their purchases. Fortunately it's assets were purchased by another company. But this highlights (to me) that there are no certainties with digital downloads from companies even from larger companies.

But it is the future...

Because the world is a cruel, cruel place.

True.

Kratos said:

Fair point. I totally understand what you are saying that's why I have been reluctant to use digital services. In the UK major video game chain GAME went bust last year. Many customers had bought PC games via download which effectively meant losing their purchases. Fortunately it's assets were purchased by another company. But this highlights (to me) that there are no certainties with digital downloads from companies even from larger companies.

But it is the future...

It's only the future if people keep buying it. That's why I don't.
    Nifft
  • KlorofyllKlorofyll Member Posts: 2
    Was waiting for the MAS, but as it's cheaper directly from beam dog. There's not enough reason to wait.
    bgplaya said:

It's only the future if people keep buying it. That's why I don't.

Truth.

I didn't buy much music from iTunes until they went DRM-free. Now I buy loads, and it's super convenient, and I get to keep my music even if Apple disappears tomorrow.

iTunes is successful because it is more convenient than piracy.
    CerevantbgplayaEudaemonium
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    Nope - bought directly from Beamdog. As someone mentioned earlier they get more of your £'s that way.
    Moomintroll
  • doenerdoener Member Posts: 18
    I bought the Beamdog version now - works fine!
    EudaemoniumbgplayaMoomintroll
  • CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
    I am waiting on the App Store Version.
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    No. Updates from current beamdog version can update anytime. Updates from appstore need to be approved by apple. I think is better the current version.
  • CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
    Only if the current app have lot bugs.

Any App-Store app can update content at any time. There are a lot apps that work this way. Just the executable part can't get modified.
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    Trent posted a tweet indicating it's been rejected again. :(
    edited March 2013
    "#BGEE for the Mac OSX App store is rejected. Nothing game related. Let's just say it is a text problem."

Does anyone know what this means exactly?

• ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    I took this as possibly being a metadata rejection. Your app can be rejected for stuff not following guidelines in app description, ratings, etc. all the stuff that supports the app submission.

I could be wrong though 'text' hinted at in the tweet is open ended