Skip to content

The Perfect Team?

I'm willing to try new matches for my next game of BG1, but I'm playing on the hardest mode so I need to be efficient...
My team will probably looks like this:
PC multi F/T
imoen
Jahira
Khalid/Maybe Ajantis or Rasaad (probably Rasaad the more I think about it.)

And I'm willing to get to mages, let's say Xan and Neera...

Would that make any sense?

I wanted to play Dorn too but since he is Evil alligned I figured out it would be better to leave him out of my party for this game.
What do you think?

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Well, perfect in what way? From a pure effectiveness standpoint? Or from a roleplaying vantage according to a character concept? Or for a Good aligned party?

Let's assume you're going with Fighter/Thief for the main character, which is in fact a very powerful class combo. If we're talking pure effectiveness for BG:EE I would say one of the strongest parties you could field would then be

Kagain
    Kivan
    Dorn
    Edwin
    Viconia

which is mostly evil.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'd go as follows:

Charname F/T
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Imoen (Thief dual to Mage) possibly switch to Tiax

Or, if you are going goodie:

Charname F/T
    Minsc
    Dynaheira
    Imoen (possibly switch for Coran)
    Branwen
    Ajantis

Either group should give you enough power. I like Jahiera, but khalid really handi-caps her.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    imo Coran is the best character in the game by far
    EnterHaerDalisFlashburn
  • JullosJullos Member Posts: 24
    Lemernis said:

Well, perfect in what way? From a pure effectiveness standpoint? Or from a roleplaying vantage according to a character concept? Or for a Good aligned party?

Let's assume you're going with Fighter/Thief for the main character, which is in fact a very powerful class combo. If we're talking pure effectiveness for BG:EE I would say one of the strongest parties you could field would then be

Kagain
    Kivan
    Dorn
    Edwin
    Viconia

which is mostly evil.

I was talking about effectivness yes. Do evil characters and good characters can get along easily?
    Also, Does anyone has thoughts on if Xan and Neera could be viable on a party? I Never played Xan before but I feel like giving him a chance.

• JullosJullos Member Posts: 24

I'd go as follows:

Charname F/T
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Imoen (Thief dual to Mage) possibly switch to Tiax

Or, if you are going goodie:

Charname F/T
    Minsc
    Dynaheira
    Imoen (possibly switch for Coran)
    Branwen
    Ajantis

Either group should give you enough power. I like Jahiera, but khalid really handi-caps her.

I agree That Khalid is a pretty big handicap but you can get rid of him easy enough without cheating.
    Do you have any opinions on Xan or Neera has spellcasters? Are they worth the shot?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    6 of the best characters:

Kagain
    Yeslick
    Coran
    Faldorn (for insect plague - best spell in BG)
    Edwin
    Dorn

Replace one with charname. Really though many others are very close behind and should arguably be in that list.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Sarevok (fighter)
    Tazok (Fighter)
    Angelo (fighter/mage)
    Semaj (Mage)
    Tamoko (Cleric)

Oh, wait...
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    DJKajuru said:

Sarevok (fighter)
    Tazok (Fighter)
    Angelo (fighter/mage)
    Semaj (Mage)
    Tamoko (Cleric)

Oh, wait...

So how did Sarevok pick locks huh?
  • forktheworldforktheworld Member Posts: 88
    In my experience, it would go:

Minsc
    Yeslick
    Coran
    Dorn/Neera/Edwin
    Baeloth
    Charname

Depending on your playstyle, Neera and Edwin are dominant mage options while Dorn provides some massive damage up front. So you would need to decide whether you wanted that melee damage or some more magical power. Since you are wanting to go goodie goodie, I would say that you could use Neera and replace Baeloth with Dyanheir as your backup magic.
    Jullos
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    IkMarc said:

DJKajuru said:

Sarevok (fighter)
    Tazok (Fighter)
    Angelo (fighter/mage)
    Semaj (Mage)
    Tamoko (Cleric)

Oh, wait...

So how did Sarevok pick locks huh?
    Sarevok can bash his way through any door!

Or kindly ask Semaj to cast "lock" =D
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Jullos said:

I agree That Khalid is a pretty big handicap but you can get rid of him easy enough without cheating.
    Do you have any opinions on Xan or Neera has spellcasters? Are they worth the shot?

I personally will never use Xan but based exclusively on personality. I think after a few hours of his negativity, I would start to lose my mind. As a Wizard, he is OK. Personally I think that Edwin is far superior in that class. And with Dynaheira comes Minsc, so she wins out hands down in my book over Xan.

As for Neera, she is a wild mage, so you pretty much can expect chaos. she is a good caster, but she also can be your worst enemy if her Wild Magic goes wonky. She is fun to play though.

As for Khalid, he isn't "Horrible", meaning that he serves his purpose. He isn't a power-gamer's cup of tea, but I have usually played to the end with him, largely because of Jaheira. You can't miss with a Fighter/Druid in your group. Healing AND the ability to fight. Yes, you can get rid of Khalid in any number of ways, but it isn't 'Necessary' to do so. And I am of the belief that there are worse things in the world than having him in your group.
    Jullos
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    1. Charname
    2. Coran F/T (can max out stats you need - find trap and open lock)
    3. Yeslick F/C (all the healing you really need given how easy money is to come by and potions)
    4. Edwin M (best mage)
    5. Baeloth S no explanation needed
    6. Kagain F with right gear best tank.

you will need that god awful monk at some point, I dont add him until I finish cloackwood so i dont have to deal with having him for that long. (need that belt for yeslick)

Dorn while fun, gets hit entirely too much. 19 str is nice but 16 dex and 14 con? I'll pass.
    forktheworldJullos_N8_
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2013
    Jullos said:

Lemernis said:

Kagain
    Kivan
    Dorn
    Edwin
    Viconia

which is mostly evil.

I was talking about effectivness yes. Do evil characters and good characters can get along easily?
    Also, Does anyone has thoughts on if Xan and Neera could be viable on a party? I Never played Xan before but I feel like giving him a chance.

In the party above, no, Kivan and Viconia will fight. Assuming you'd have Kagain and Dorn to frontline, Kivan would be used as archer, so you could avoid the issue by replacing him with Coran. Not as versatile as Kivan, but the better archer.

Also, if you mean Neera and Xan in the same party - that's a bad choice, as there is only one robe of neutral arch magi. There are, however, two robes of evil arch magi and Edwin and Baeloth make a perfect evil caster team.

Jullos

1. Charname
    3. Yeslick F/C (all the healing you really need given how easy money is to come by and potions)
    4. Edwin M (best mage)

you will need that god awful monk at some point, I dont add him until I finish cloackwood so i dont have to deal with having him for that long. (need that belt for yeslick)

Dorn while fun, gets hit entirely too much. 19 str is nice but 16 dex and 14 con? I'll pass.

I'd agree with this and charname as a berserker 7/Druid 9 being the best group. Possibly Imoen instead of Edwin as Baeloth provides enough spell power and the extra utility from Imoen as thief/Mage might outweigh Edwin as a pure wizard.
    I would probably take a different cleric. No-one beats Kagain as tank, but he'll fight with Yeslick. With a high charisma charname and getting Yeslick relatively late, it's possible to make it through the game without them killing each other, but it's taking a risk. Viconia might be a better idea, if only for her magic resistance.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    IkMarc said:

I would probably take a different cleric. No-one beats Kagain as tank, but he'll fight with Yeslick. With a high charisma charname and getting Yeslick relatively late, it's possible to make it through the game without them killing each other, but it's taking a risk. Viconia might be a better idea, if only for her magic resistance.

I've had no issues with the Quayle/Tiax and Yeslick/Kagain combos on the shorty run I did, no fighting at all.

I'd take Yeslick over Kagain honestly. Yeslick is a comparable tank but fills the cleric role too freeing up a spot.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Re: Kagain and Yeslick:

They don't like each other and will bicker. If I recall correctly a fight is possible between them eventually, but it's probably only going to break out if the leader has really low Cha.
    Lemernis said:

Re: Kagain and Yeslick:

They don't like each other and will bicker. If I recall correctly a fight is possible between them eventually, but it's probably only going to break out if the leader has really low Cha.
    The leader or charname? If its just the party leader then shouldn't be an issue. I think my charname had 12 base charisma (for 20 total with friends, tome, helm and cloak) and no fighting between Kagain/Yeslick or Quayle/Tiax.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I wonder if the NPC "fighting" has been changed along with the tweaks BGEE seems to have made to the NPCs "whining" for rep reasons?

ie: Jahiera no longer whines at high reps and even Xan occasionally has positive things to say from time to time now
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Wanderon: oh! I haven't seen anything saying that Overhaul has changed the infighting scripts. If so, that'd be a very significant change ... but I've been assuming that they haven't, because surely that'd be a major modification to original content, prohibited by their contract. Editing the "whining banters" is a minor tweak, but actually changing who will work with whom would be a real change.
    @Lemernis, @Wowo: I believe it's Charname's CHA which affects the infighting probability, not the party leader's.
    Jullos said:

Do evil characters and good characters can get along easily?

Some combinations of Good and Evil characters are viable, but numerous combinations are scripted to fight (and kill) one another. So as a general rule, no, it's not safe to assume that they'll get along. This makes sense on roleplaying grounds, so the idea is that you'll generally choose a party composed entirely of either Good (and Neutral) or Evil (and Neutral) characters. You can mix if you're careful and know what you're doing (i.e metagaming), but really that's something to do as an experienced player looking for variety in a replay, it's not a recommended option when you're new to the game.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Well it might be recommended for a new player who wants to experience things for himself without pre-knowledge of what happens - or metagaming his outcomes from the start - after all if party members kill one another you just have to replace them and move on - it is a part of the game and there is really no reason not to experience it for yourself - they can be quite entertaining...
    Lemernis
    Yeah, plus if the party leader (top slot on right hand column of party members in the UI) is relatively charismatic they will not fight. At least that has been my experience over the years with BGT and vanilla BG games.
    So do fights depend on charname's charisma or party leader's charisma? I'm confused, because I often see Ajantis, Dorn or the bards listed as "good choice for party leader" due to their charisma, in parties with a non-frontlining charname.

I usually play charnames with high charisma (bards with 15 + cloak + tome; other class usually 12 - 13 + cloak/tome/helm), and rarely see any fighting. Some banters between Kivan and Viconia were the most I got (but I never had Kagain and Yeslick in a party together).
    @Gallowglass You may be correct that it's the main character's Cha that determines whether fights break out. I've read in the past that it is actually the party's morale. But I'm not sure how that is calculated.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2013

1. Charname
    4. Edwin M (best mage)

100% agree. As far as I know, you can't get Baeloth, Coran and Yeslick until around level 5-6 though. Might want to use Rasaad (if you want belt), Dorn and/or Brawen until you can get them.

Dorn is pure damage - crits for around 50 at level 1. First time I used him, he was killed in 1 shot by a kobold. Ridiculous