Skip to content

post patch trouble opening doors and containers

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited February 2013
    ah i can never be defeated ;)

but yeah, thats what i do with my game i just click very quickly and it seems to work fine
  • bossfarmbossfarm Member Posts: 8
    When I try to assign attacks while paused the characters do nothing when I un-pause. It works whether I use group attack or individual. It worked fine in the opening when I had no party, but since then it has been an issue. When I click on the attack the cursor turns gold when held over target but to attack I have to do it again after I un-pause. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong? Works fine on Windows version.
  • JonnyBgoodJonnyBgood Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Edit:
    Never mind, I saw that I have the slow click bug. It's still a huge pain :|
    Also, for some reason I keep getting signed out of this forum.

I just started the game for the first time, running in window mode. My mouse clicks are working fine, and I can order my character to go wherever I want, but when I try to interact with anything (open containers, talk to NPCs, open doors) the character just walks up to it and doesn't interact. Something else that might be related, is that in dialogue (what's his name started a dialouge with me about group training) when I move my mouse over the speech options they're not highlighted, even though I can still choose them. WTF? :(

Edit: I just saw the bug reporting process, so here's my summary:
    Observed behaviour: When clicking on interactive objects (NPCs, doors, containers) the character walks up to them and does not interact.
    Expected behaviour: Character should interact when interactive objects are clicked (talk to NPC, open door, open container).

Observed behaviour: When moving the mouse over dialogue options, the options don't highlight.
    Expected: Dialouge option should highlight.

Game environment: Running in window mode, on ASUS zenbook with windows 7.
    Post edited by JonnyBgood on
  • hardinhardin Member Posts: 5
    I have exactly the same bug ...
  • dieterderblaudieterderblau Member Posts: 8
    I just started having something strange happen after a few moments of play, where I'm engaged in combat and suddenly lose the ability to target mobs, instead sending my selected party members to those coordinates with a new movement command. I have not observed this behaviour when trying to talk to non-enemy units.

Expected Behaviour: clicking on target enemy monster should send selected party members to attack targeted monster.
    Observed Behaviour: Clicking on target enemy monster causes selected party members to their assigned positions, reforming the party on that location, bringing party spellcaster and ranged attackers into melee range with the monsters, which is highly undesirable. I have not observed this behaviour when trying to talk to non-enemy units, so far at least. This happened once or twice over the past several months, and corrected by restarting the whole program. Now, it's happening constantly, making gameplay impossible.

Game Environment: Running in fullscreen mode, Win7 on dualcore desktop. Also experiencing same problem on my quadcore laptop also running win7 in fullscreen.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    the game is unplayable for me now
  • hardinhardin Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2013

This is affected by what 'Maximum Frame Rate' you set your game to into the baldur.ini located in Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. If you run the game default '30' you might not even notice this bug, however I like to play at '60' and it is very evident there.

This worked fine for me. Thanks a lot. I can play again now :D

Guys, just edit ur baldur.ini file and change the "Maximum Frame Rate" from 60 to 30 or 40.
    thats not a solution

anything below 60 is unplayable to a LOT of people

fixing a problem with another problem ( a slow game ) is not an option

this is beamdogs fault ... they call it enhanced even though its buggier than the original version

theyve had 2 years to fix bugs and 3 months after release its still unplayable
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    edited February 2013
    This bug is also occurring if you pause the game and order the characters to attack. They are moving in formation to that place instead. Instead of opening a chest they only move close to it, etc.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Hey guys, first, apologies for the inconvenience - we're aware of the problem and have fixed it internally. It will be in the next patch.

The problem: This bug was a result of fixing a previous issue, where there was a short lag time between when players would select their party members to assign them actions and when they'd respond. Unfortunately, since we test at the game default settings (30fps), the problem did not present and made it out into the wild.

What we're doing so this won't happen again in the future: After the problem was made manifest, we had a chat and decided that we'll fully support modifying the framerate up to 90 going forward and will account for that in future testing so that we can hopefully avoid this happening again.
    DarKelPDecrepitDragonatcDavehook71
    Hi @bossfarm, this seems to be related to the following issue: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16329/post-patch-trouble-opening-doors-and-containers

We have a fix ready to go internally and it will be in the next patch.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I have checked and it runs on 30fps for me. In paused mode the above described problems occur.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    Nathan said:

What we're doing so this won't happen again in the future: After the problem was made manifest, we had a chat and decided that we'll fully support modifying the framerate up to 90 going forward and will account for that in future testing so that we can hopefully avoid this happening again.

DeeDecrepitDragon
  • duke5of5duke5of5 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for fixing this. I'm looking forward to playing this with some of the new kits to see how they play. How long before the next patch comes out?
  • sjaffesjaffe Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the game yesterday, and I'm so frustrated today that I'm almost ready to demand my money back.
    It seems that almost every time I have to click on something with the mouse, I have to click 5, 20, 100 times or something before the game "reacts" and does whatever it's supposed to do on that mouse click. Some examples:
    - In Candlekeep I had to click on Dreppin about 30 times before the dialog box opened and I got the quest
    - In the tutorial, as well as outside the tutorial, I die in battles - I click to attack and my character just stands there taking a beating. I've never made it all the way through the tutorial because I die in the fight - the "last test" every single time.
    - I had to pick-pocket a character in Candlekeep to get a scroll to take to another character. It took almost 3 hours!! Every time I clicked my thief character on this other character to pick his pockets, the system didn't do anything. My character just stood there. I must have clicked on the other character about 100 times!
    - There's a diamond in a tree on one screen. I can see there's something there using tab, I can see something's there because the cursor turns to a hand, but every time I click on the location, nothing happens. I can't get the diamond.

And, yes, I know the system is recognizing the click. For example when I try to get the diamond, the hand "closes" so I know the system acknowledges that I clicked the mouse in that spot. For the pickpocket, the cursor sort of blinks to the "open lock" graphic for a bit. For battles, the red circle blinks. But, nothing happens.

I'm so damned frustrated!!!!

This is the buggiest game I've EVER seen!
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2013
    I've experienced literally none of these problems. Maybe try a reinstall? Other than that, not sure what to recommend...Are you up to specs, though? That could be your problem.

Hope your experience improves, since I'm loving this reboot of a classic.

EDIT: Oh, and is your character acknowledging the commands? I.E, Do they say "On it now, boss." or whatever your voice set is set to? This might not help me help you out, but it might help someone with more knowledge to figure out your problem.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    For those seeing this problem, here are some work-arounds that might help. Yes this is a bug, yes it will be fixed, no these are not permanent solutions. These are work-arounds that might help you keep playing while you wait for the upate:

1) Complete your click more quickly. This bug activates depending on how long you hold the mouse button down before you release it when you click. Minimize the mouse button down time and the bug will not manifest

2) Increase your frame rate. Slowing (or at least not speeding up) your frame rate will increase the amount of time your mouse button can be down during a click before the bug activates. If decreasing your frame rate slows your movement rate too much for your taste, you can:
    a) "borrow" some boots of speed using CLUAConsole:CreateItem("BOOT01")
    b) use ctrl-J to move your party around the map
    (see this thread for how to enable debug mode)
    Sese79 said:

I have checked and it runs on 30fps for me. In paused mode the above described problems occur.

No one said it doesn't manifest at 30fps, but it is less likely to manifest at 30fps. It will also be easier to detect the impact of these types of timing issues when testing at excessively high or excessively low frame rates.
  • alboyalboy Member Posts: 59
    It is happening to me aswell only since the last patch, l play at Core rules.

It is driving me mad, l have stopped playing my current game till they can fix this.

l have Windows XP SP3, Nvidea 8800 Ultra graphics and plenty of Hard Disc space left.
  • sjaffesjaffe Member Posts: 2
    bgplaya said:

I've experienced literally none of these problems. Maybe try a reinstall? Other than that, not sure what to recommend...Are you up to specs, though? That could be your problem.

Hope your experience improves, since I'm loving this reboot of a classic.

EDIT: Oh, and is your character acknowledging the commands? I.E, Do they say "On it now, boss." or whatever your voice set is set to? This might not help me help you out, but it might help someone with more knowledge to figure out your problem.

I'm up to specs. Also, according to the ini file, the framerate is already at 30 so changing that will not solve the problem.

As for your question about acknowledging commands... sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It seems to depend on what I'm doing. For example, it never happens when trying to pick-pocket, nor when opening a container. It sometimes happens when attacking.

To staff: I've seen reports that this is a known bug and will be fixed in the next version release. WHEN WILL THAT BE? Right now, the game is unplayable!
    @sjaffe - if you lower your frame rate further (25 or 20) it might help.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    I too find it somewhat unplayable right now. I can't issue attack commands while paused, so I have to do it unpaused, and half the time I click to attack, and the whole party runs into melee range and stands there.

I told Imoen to use her bow on a dread wolf this morning, and instead she ran in for a kiss ... you can imagine how well that went.
  • bossfarmbossfarm Member Posts: 8
    Nathan said:

Hi @bossfarm, this seems to be related to the following issue: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16329/post-patch-trouble-opening-doors-and-containers

We have a fix ready to go internally and it will be in the next patch.

I would agree since I updated the Windows version to 2014 last night and it is doing the same thing as the Mac. When this is fixed will it require me to download the whole game again or just the files that fix it?

Only the files which are updated need to be downloaded. So far I think all the updates have been under 300Mb.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    edited February 2013
    It isn't a hard work around, just click fast, really. It sounds stupid but it works perfectly. I too want it fixed, because its not really in my nature to do anything fast (!), but as long as I follow my own advise it is still perfectly manageable whether you are paused or not.

I am however a little worried about what this is going to be like on the iPad!
    Post edited by atcDave on
  • Vitor_Vitor_ Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Hi, i am in chapter 5 at Baldur's Gate and after i updated the new patch i couldn't zone out or enter any of the buildings. The doors would open but nothing would do, i tried with different characters, i tried reloading a previous save but it didnt worked either.

Did it happend to someone else?

I just tried all my other saved game and nothing. I can't open doors that are closed either, not even an Inn door that i know is not locked.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    We've had another thread going on this, it's known and apparently will be patched.

In the mean time, try to just click fast. Don't hold the button or pound it, just do a very fast click and it should work better.
  • jeffellingerjeffellinger Member Posts: 1
    Since the last update: when the whole party is selected and you click on a chest or a door the main character does not act independently as it used to. The whole party gathers around the chest or door and no action takes place on the door or chest. Some places can no longer be entered by party or individuals, e.g. Jopalin's Tavern, top floor of Iron Throne.
    edited February 2013
    HEYY ---------------- !!!!

New micropatch out ?

just got prompted to update today, looked like a veeery small patch

now i have no issues with clicking ... before i had .....

problem solved ?

can anubody confirm that beamdog have released a small patch today, solving the mouse click issue ?

Post edited by 3leeTbger on
    Confirmed! I'll have a news post up in just a little bit here.