Skip to content

Journal Functionality

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Journal Functionality39 votes
    1. Yes. I like the new journal design and its functionality.
      66.67%
    2. No. I preferred the simplicity of the original journal.
        7.69%
    3. I do not read the journal while playing the game.
      12.82%
    4. My character is illiterate.
      12.82%

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    I agree to some extend: it is nice to have finished quests and to be able to make your own entries. However, scrolling up and down seems bugged (Mac OSX): I seem to be unable to scroll properly up and down...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm currently roleplaying a character that possesses an extreme phobia of printed words, and enters a berserk rage any time he is forced to read from a scroll or note. To represent this, I'm forced to immediately turn off my computer any time I open the journal in-game.
    [Deleted User]KidCarnival
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited February 2013
    You have to drag the page up or down as if you were playing on an iPad, which is probably where it comes from. I would like mousewheel functionality though, because I recently completed an IRL-stat playthrough complete with journal entries and it would've been much more convenient.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    You make a topic for almost everything, don't you? :') Why would you not like additions to an existing thing which you are not even obligated to use?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    It's definitely better than the original but I think it's still pretty bad.
  • fritzlfritzl Member Posts: 12
    I hope this bug will be fixed in the next patch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All my current characters are illiterate.

Until @Archaic releases Beta 6 of his astonishing GUI mod, that is. >:D
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I have to first ask Minsc what the best answer is
    maybe he will consult with boo
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure why it isn't a carbon-copy of BGII's journal, mechanics-wise, where you can edit (and thus delete) any entry be it quest or just a fluff entry. I prefer the current half-working journal to the original one, but I really hope it will be perfected completely. The "Journal" part of the journal is hard to scroll and you can't delete stuff in "Quests" and "Done Quests", nor does it tag the entries with the day you picked up/completed the quests.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    My journal is usually used in the event of "What am I supposed to do now? Guess I'll read what the game wrote in the journal."
    KidCarnival
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Dumbfry Bowguard can hardly read road signs.

Other than that, the journal still has a long way to go. I use it as "so where did I save last night" reminder, so I would really like a plain list "quests I haven't done", without all the fluff to scroll through, with a time stamp when I picked the quest up, and moving it to "done quests" with a time stamp when it was completed.
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2013
    I like the design, or at least I would if it worked properly. The journal is buggy and broken, particularly with recording quests from Baldur's Gate (city). Some entries remain uncompleted when they've been completed, some quest entries are recorded several times, other quests just don't appear at all. Important, because there are just so many quests in the city
    Post edited by _N8_ on
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I like my journal to be as if it were a journal. Right now in its current state it annoys the hell out of me. You can't scroll up and down on certain pages and it can't be sorted by date order...or at all
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited February 2013
    I'm not saying I read it all the time. But I sure like having one.

Once I (IRL) went backpacking for a month , and whenever I had nothing to do I would update a journal. It's a good way to remember details that might be forgotten.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I have not had much luck discovering exactly how the new journal does function (hasn't worked well for me or I am just not understanding what it is supposed to do and how) but in the end that may be due to a general indifference to whether it works well or not.

That said if it worked very well I would probably like it but for the moment it doesn't for me... ;-)
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    I like the way they intended the journal, however I rarely use it. It seems to be too bugged. - But if the journal worked completely I would definitely use it!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    BG itself tells the story wonderfully through game play that I rarely have to check my journal to say "Where do I have to go now, who do I have to talk to." This is all explained in game wonderfully that I tend to forget there is actually a journal.