Skip to content

Easiest Way to Lower Rep

2»

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

@reedmilfam, I suspect that they didn't want Viccy to be Charname's indentured servant. Besides, if things get too bad, she may decide that being on her own is no greater risk than being with a bunch of 'Goodie, Goodies' for one more minute.

I would think she wants to avoid angering Shar. She doesn't want to have to dodge lightning bolts from up above as well as the Flaming Fist.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    doesn't she eventually have to worry about Handmaidens? Granted Lolth is a bit more hands on than Shar, but still... I kind of get that she walks her own path more than most Clerics.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Didn't killing Prism give some mild reputation hit?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    IkMarc said:

Didn't killing Prism give some mild reputation hit?

Nope.

• redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Killing Petrine's cat in Baldur's Gate should get you a quick -1 rep.
    Really? If I kill the cat, I only get the cloak of protection (with high charisma) and no reward from her.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    I always fight with Elminster....
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @KidCarnival You get the reputation penalty when you tell Petrine you've killed her cat.
    I told her... She said I'm a mean person, gave me no reward and that was it. And my rep wasn't 0 already, lol
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'm surprised, @KidCarnival. In my previous playthrough, I certainly managed to shed a point of rep by killing Petrine's cat ... but I can't remember exactly what I did to collect the penalty. Maybe you have to speak to Bheren as well as Petrine?
    I was fully expecting a drop, so yeah, that was weird. Maybe it had something to do with getting the cloak? I didn't know he'd actually give it to me; I thought he'd say "yeah, so I lied" and turn hostile or throw me out. I had a jester charname with 18 charisma + cloak + tome, which is probably the reason why he kept the promise. I did not take the actual ring to Petrine and talked to her with only the Angel The Cat Skin Ring in my inventory. She started crying and ran away, giving me no reward, but also no rep drop.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Wanderon said:

Too bad you can't just donate to the thieves guild to get them to spread rumors about you to lower your rep...wasn't there a mod like this?

This would fill a major gap, mechanics-wise, but I'd have a tough time getting over how unintuitive it would be in terms of evil NPC behavior. After all, evil tends to be equated with pursuit of personal gain; why would Montaron be happy when you're actually paying to be hated, and not getting any of the profits that are supposed to come with the usual murdering/pillaging/puppy-kicking routine?

Not trying to be too negative here -- like I said, there's certainly a gameplay use for it. I just personally wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, I don't think.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    redline said:

Wanderon said:

Too bad you can't just donate to the thieves guild to get them to spread rumors about you to lower your rep...wasn't there a mod like this?

This would fill a major gap, mechanics-wise, but I'd have a tough time getting over how unintuitive it would be in terms of evil NPC behavior. After all, evil tends to be equated with pursuit of personal gain; why would Montaron be happy when you're actually paying to be hated, and not getting any of the profits that are supposed to come with the usual murdering/pillaging/puppy-kicking routine?

Not trying to be too negative here -- like I said, there's certainly a gameplay use for it. I just personally wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, I don't think.
    Maybe not to spread rumours then, but to invest in their activities. You give them gold that they use to purchase weapons or pay for mercenaries for their robberies or assassination attempts. They in turn share rumours. Your rep drops as information gets out that you are helping the thieves with their business.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Kill commoners, nobles or peasants.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    redline said:

Killing Petrine's cat in Baldur's Gate should get you a quick -1 rep.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel less guilty about killing peasants than killing cats...
    SilverstarTJ_Hooker
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I'm too trying to find ways to lower rep, without murdering innocents as a) CHARNAME is Chaotic Neutral, a bit of a rogue and thief, but not an evil murderer and b) I don't want *really* low rep, just rep low enough to keep Dorn and Viconia in my party.

If you get caught stealing you lose rep, but then don't the Flaming Fist attack you, so you lose more rep killing them, unless you can evade them?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I'm too trying to find ways to lower rep, without murdering innocents as a) CHARNAME is Chaotic Neutral, a bit of a rogue and thief, but not an evil murderer and b) I don't want *really* low rep, just rep low enough to keep Dorn and Viconia in my party.

If you get caught stealing you lose rep, but then don't the Flaming Fist attack you, so you lose more rep killing them, unless you can evade them?

BTW I should also probably mention that I have completely looted Beregost, Nashkel, Gullykin and the FAI already, so there are limited places left before Baldur's Gate to get caught stealing!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

BTW I should also probably mention that I have completely looted Beregost, Nashkel, Gullykin and the FAI already, so there are limited places left before Baldur's Gate to get caught stealing!
    Maybe you need to look at the other side of the coin - stop doing things that RAISE your rep... LOL

genie
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    redline said:

Wanderon said:

I see it more like paying dues to an outfit that finds you work and helps you out and the fact that you are supporting them tends to get around and people thus think less of you -

Peasant: Oh look there's the big cheese from Candlekeep - here to save us from the iron shortage - making roads safe again - well I saw them passing a big bag of gold to the head of the thieves guild last week and someone told me they were blackmailing some lady over at the tavern. He's no hero he's just a long tongued lout what wants us to think he's a hero. (but don't tell I said so did you see the size of that sword that half-orc is carrying!)
  • geniegenie Member Posts: 12
    I wish there was a separate system for karma and reputation, because you can be an evil, manipulative bastard, but still pretend to be a law-abiding citizen in order to get good discounts at stores. There are so many evil NPCs who should be intelligent enough to know that occasionally doing the "popular" thing in order to further your own goals doesn't make you a goody-two-shoes.

It might be cool if NPCs joined your party based on a combination of CHARNAME's alignment and reputation score. So if you were Chaotic Good but had a low reputation, you could pick up evil NPCs, but not if you were Lawful Good and had a high reputation. Yes, that might give an undue advantage to Neutral PCs since they could play both sides without consequence (which is already the case in the game), but I'd like to think that there should be penalties for being too good or too evil.
    KidCarnival
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @genie you may want to check out the Virtue mod, if it gets updated for BG:EE (or BG2:EE, I can't remember which game it was for). I've never used it myself, but from what I read it does almost exactly what you're talking about, splitting up reputation into 2 parts, with 1 part representing how well your party is viewed/liked, and the other representing how good/virtuous you actually are. I believe the former is used in things like reaction adjustments and store prices, while the latter is used in determining whether or not characters leave due to their alignment.
    genie