Skip to content

What's your favorite party size?

hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
What size party do you like to play? I used to often go with a smaller party so I would gain levels faster, but generally I never finished those games because I got too powerful too quickly, and the battles got boring.

I usually play with a full party of six.
  1. What's your favorite party size?310 votes
    1. 6 - I like six-packs!
      64.19%
    2. 5 - Less than 6, but more than four
        8.39%
    3. 4 - In my opinion two-pair beats a full house
      15.81%
    4. 3 - Who doesn't want a threesome?
        1.94%
    5. 2 - I don't like people, but I don't like being lonely
        0.97%
    6. 1 - I don't like people
        3.55%
    7. ? - I like bacon!
        5.16%
Permidion_Stark

Comments

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Four is the perfect balance of enough NPCs to have some specialization, but few enough to not get constant pathing screw-ups.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Nifft said:

Four is the perfect balance of enough NPCs to have some specialization, but few enough to not get constant pathing screw-ups.

I agree with this. I one played a party of four multi's and loved it.

The only time I enjoy solo is the firewine dungeon, and then it still isn't enjoyable - it's the firewine dungeon.
    atcDave said:

I would disagree some with the OP though, I find the smaller parties to be weaker towards the end of the game, at least for the big set piece battles. Even if the XP cap is removed. You just are more easily undone by a bad save and have fewer options for fixing bad results, while bigger parties have more options for supporting each other.
    Although I would agree that isn't clearly true at any given time, like especially early in the game with each level being a bigger deal. So a party of 4 3rd level characters may be more powerful than 6 2nd level characters. But later in the game, I think the bigger party is far more capable.

I agree with this too. I've always found my smaller parties can walk through the bandit camp like there's no challenge at all, and I tend to start getting bored at that point.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I pick parties mostly based on who I like. Since there are no lack of companions, I usually end up with a full party. I dislike sharing the xp though so I often kick party members briefly early on before turning in quests to get to level 2... or 3 if close to that. Haven't played EE quite enough yet and since there's all these forced pairs it's hard playing a party of 4, but I've done that quite a lot in BGII and find it works pretty well.
  • agradineagradine Member Posts: 13
    I almost always truck around with a full party, it seems to offer the best balance. Though reading about some peoples' runs in the no reload challenge threads has gotten me interested in trying smaller parties/soloing.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The more the merrier. :)
    Fenghoang
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    I always go 6, if only for story purposes. I'm more interested in the character interactions (imagined or otherwise) than I am in a strategic advantage.

That said, I'll mix things up in IWD or the Black Pits. My last BP run had 4 and was a lot of fun.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    For me, DnD was originally designed around the 6 person party. Now it isn't "Necessary" for that to be the case in BG, but it is where I am most comfortable.

Plus, I like to maximize the NPC banter/interaction (such as it is in BG1).
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    6 in BG because I want to use the NPCs. But in games where I create the entire party, like IWD or Temple of Elemental Evil, I typically go with 5.
    Mortianna
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874

Yes, that would be my favorite size if it existed... and maybe one day it will...

Maybe...
    Mortianna
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    If there were better AI scripts, I would love playing with ~all the NPCs that my character likes/gets along with. As is, I play 6 usually in Bg1. In Bg2, I usually go with 4 or 5 and pick up random people to do their quests. But I enjoy 4 people--a rogue, an arcane caster, a priest, and whatever else I need. Sometimes any/all of these are part fighter. Faster exp, less party micromanagement, and I don't have to worry about getting 6 perfect sets of gear. Not that I don't love playing with 6, but 4 is challenging and the most fun for me
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I always end up covering every role I need with 4. In BG the roles I fill are tankx2 or tank, ranged and a cleric and a thief. That's it, mix and match chars and multlclasses as needed. Mage usually gets dropped as unnecessary in BG1. BG2 is another story.
  • geniegenie Member Posts: 12
    Assuming you play the game with the XP cap intact:

6 because although earlygame is much harder (as you have to share XP), your party becomes much stronger lategame. You don't have to rest as often, as multiple party members can fill the same roles (e.g. having 2 spellcasters essentially doubles your spell repertoire).

Also, there's so many opportunities to earn extra experience that I find the lack of XP to be a non-issue past Chapter 4. Granted, some of these opportunities are quite cheesy and require metagaming (e.g. killing Drizzt), but if you clear every single area, and finish every quest with the goal of getting maximum experience, you'll have plenty to go around for a 6-person party.

For RP purposes, this is best done with a (chaotic) neutral alignment, as some quests grant more XP for evil solutions, while some grant more for good solutions.

Plus, I like banter! the more the merrier. :)
    franco
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I usually save a 6th slot for quest npc's.
    franco
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I usually have 6 in a party, but only 4 (+ charname) are permanent members. The 6th slot is for picking up NPCs for quests (used to be a BG2 habit, but with the new NPCs, it works the same way in BG1 now) or to take paired NPCs until I dispose of one; and generally non-permanent party members I want for specific situations (i.e. someone with dagger prof to werewolf island, second thief to Durlag's...).
    DebaserEudaemonium
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    edited March 2013
    4 for BG2, 6 for BG1. I find it quite easy to get everyone to max level in BG1 so might as well be running with more npcs.

I should probably add though that I've only ever beaten BG2 with solo runs o_O
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I usually find 6 to give the best complementation of characters to eachother, but in micro-management, I found out my 5-man parties are often easier to handle. One less makes a lot of difference in managing, you don't lose that much in diversity and levelling is slightly quicker, making parties just as powerful. Though I often find myself ending with 6 after all, as there's always the temptation of taking someone along instead of saying no when the party meets some of the joinables.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Key_StrokesKey_Strokes Member Posts: 36
    In games like IWD where you're free to design your entire party, I tend to run four-deep as it's easier to fill all of the required party roles with specifically designed multi & dual class characters, and it allows you to advance that much faster. However, if I have a theme in mind there's certainly nothing precluding six-deep.

In the BG series (or in PS:T) where you have interactable NPCs with unique backstories and RP elements, I always run with a full party for better story immersion.
    magpie
  • bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129

But I heard somewhere that it isn't the size of the party that matters...

Wait, what is this thread about?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    1 or 6. Never anything in between.
    6 for actual play throughs though, one for just trolling around the coast.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Unless I'm going solo I go with six. The only exception to this is if I'm playing evil in BG2 or I'm planning on using Imoen but I don't want Yoshimo in my party costing the rest of my party experience points.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    While I do like bacon, I also like large, low or mid-level parties: everyone has their weaknesses, but each contributes something unique and essential to the party.

My favorite party size is 8 or 9 single-classed characters. I use all 6 slots in BG, but found 5 work the best for IWD (Fighter, Cleric, Mage, Fighter/Thief, Bard).
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Four people in your party is the perfect size. You can have a thief, cleric, mage, fighter in any combination you like. Ex :

Fighter/Thief - Quarter staff / Bow
    Mage
    Ranger/Cleric - Flail dual wielding
    Cavalier - Two handed sword

You get to use the best equipment in the game without having to trade between characters, you don't need any other party members than those mentioned. You will level up faster and it's less meta gaming between the party members.
    franco
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Solo - for power gaming purposes. Too bad there is no Quad classe like F/M/T/C.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    bbear said:

Solo - for power gaming purposes. Too bad there is no Quad classe like F/M/T/C.

I want a T/M/C and i would be happy :)
    [Deleted User]
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    Six, because I love the NCPs and their interactions. I would play with more if it was possible :P
    Malicron
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    SionIV said:

Four people in your party is the perfect size. You can have a thief, cleric, mage, fighter in any combination you like. Ex :

Fighter/Thief - Quarter staff / Bow
    Mage
    Ranger/Cleric - Flail dual wielding
    Cavalier - Two handed sword

@SionIV, the compactness of your 4 man party is very attractive. Makes me want to try it. Do you have any thoughts on how you can assemble a party like this in BG1?

I would be tempted also to keep a single class thief and single class cleric to get their skill points and more powerful spells up faster. But at the same time, the rapid growth in experience points might make this thought unnecessary.