Skip to content

Can Viconia's Recruitment Grammar Be Tweaked?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited March 2013 in Not An Issue
Below is the dialogue when Viconia joins the group:

Is it just me, or does it not flow well at all? I'm not a grammatical expert but I would think it would sound better as something like this (just one possible suggestion):

"I thank you! I know you may not be willing to give me a chance because I am a drow, but if you do you won't regret it! Can I join with you? I need friends now more than ever."

In this example I dropped the dark skin thing completely. I guess they are explaining to people who don't know that drow have dark skin, but I mean... is it necessary? The flaming fist mercenary calls her a "dark elf" already during the initial encounter, and her biography mentions the dark elf moniker as well. I also wasn't sure about "I thank you!" vs. just "Thank you!" the "I" seems unnecessary, but maybe drow talk that way... so I left it in.

Here's another possibility with the dark skin reference left in:

"I thank you! I know you may not be willing to give me a chance because I am a drow, something my dark skin makes difficult to hide. If you do though, you won't regret it! Can I join with you? I need friends now more than ever."

Thoughts? Not saying my examples are perfect by any means, but I just think it could be cleaned up. I've been wrong before.
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    I just did this encounter as well! The multiple occurrences of "give me a chance" seem repetitive. I also always wondered why her default color scheme is green... but I digress, LOL.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ah... Actually I think is a contract limitation that they can't alter the dialog of old joinable characters. Pity. It could use a cleanup. Ah well. It gets the job done I guess.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2013
    First, this is not a bug.
    Second, you should know that contract limitations do not allow altering existing dialogue.
    Third, Viconia is a drow. It has perfectly sense that she does not speak properly common, since it is not her mother tonguee.
    Moved to Not An Issue section.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Aedan said:

First, this is not a bug.
    Second, you should know that contract limitations do not allow altering existing dialogue.
    Third, Viconia is a drow. It has perfectly sense that she does not speak properly common, since it is not her mother tonguee.
    Moved to Not An Issue section.

FYI - I added a note saying that I realized it was not correctable due to a contract limitation after I posted (Read my post prior to your last post).

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @HaHaCharade
    Ninja'd :)
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Aedan said:

Actually - Drow Priestesses are highly educated from a young age. Even though common would not be her first tongue, as Drow tend to use Undercommon and their own speech more, I would not think she'd speak it poorly :P