Skip to content

PC game $19,99, IOS $9,99. Do they think PC players are stupid?

13»

Comments

• ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    I respect their decision to sell the game in different ways depending on the platform. Gaming on the iPad is much more spontaneous, plug-and-play, toss a few coins and try it out. Calling this greed isn't really fair. Or well, it's not greedier than anyone else who lives by the harsh rules of the market.

I could see an option for PC/Mac players to buy the slimmed version. But then again, more options cause confusion.

My uneducated 2 cents.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    there is just no pleasing some people, there is also that, yes.

while i don't exactly understand why the decision of add-in the extra content for other platforms, price goes to the same level, so no biggie. as for the price i don't get the whine-fest.

presumably the money goes toward future enhancements (bg2:ee, icewind dale:ee, PLANESCAPE TORMENT:EE, icewind dale:ee and maybe even bg3), even if they do not need to justify their pricing or how they intend to spend the money.

old games that are just edited a bit to be playable on newer systems cost around 10$ usually, here we get new content, some new features, support, softcoded UI, integrated mods etc etc

i think the developers were listening to their community and are still making efforts to deliver quality product and service.

last but not least- i do not think i could completely respect developers work if they priced it less. can i go and complain if i dont like the new stuff after i paid 10$ (the same amount i would for regular pack)? no, i don't think so. by paying for extra stuff you have the right to have expectations and complain afterwards.

also, if price is so bothersome, wait a year or two, it is bound to go down. this is a fresh release, only logical the price peaks now.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well i point some problems and disagrees here and there, but to complain is in my nature :)! I like a good discussion and i know they can't please everyone. As long the final product don't offend the legend that baldur's gate is and add a little to it it's ok to me. And if BG EE impress me, i will be really inclined to invest my money on the future (we hope) Planescape: Torment EE (cos this one will need to rebirth in terms of engine).
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I have no doubt the game will go on sale at some point in the future. If you have a problem with the current price then maybe just wait it out and pick it up another time (I just picked up arkham city of steam for the bargain price of about £6.99 :)).

Oh, and comparing a salesmen adding £100 to the total cost of your PC for software you can get off the internet much cheaper (or free) is a hell of a lot different than the £4-5 extra you're paying ontop of the GoG price of BG1.

And as much as other mods do add in story/new quests/new NPC. They arent the new quests that Overhaul are doing are they? So it is new, not seen before content.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Excalibur_2102 if your post is for me, just lemme say that i don't opose the price, my point is another, just look some of my early posts in this thread for that.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @kamuizin

What @tecnophobe is trying to say is that since most people here are fans of BG, any critics are "attacked" by the fans. Though, its my impression that tecnophobe would be completely alright with the situation if it were in reverse. It seems to me that the real problem he has is that his opinion is in the minority.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    trinit said:

last but not least- i do not think i could completely respect developers work if they priced it less. can i go and complain if i dont like the new stuff after i paid 10$ (the same amount i would for regular pack)? no, i don't think so. by paying for extra stuff you have the right to have expectations and complain afterwards.

ROFL oh man. My first knee jerk reaction was "What? How can my whining possibly be linked to the price of the game?" Then I thought back on all the cheap games that I bought and played. You're absolutely right. I'm MUCH more inclined to complain when I spent a good deal of money on a game (Diablo 3 $60), and tend to just brush off other cheaper purchases (Bully on sale for $1.33, didn't even work).

Great observation :)

• jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    Selling it at 9.99 or whatever lets people who would otherwise not bother with BGEE take a chance
    People who buy it on pc are vets who want the new content...or so I gather
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    The reason there is so much much defensive talk from us true fans is down in some small part to the inflammatory nature of the thread title. The implication that paying $20 makes anyone either stupid, bieng somehow conned by the developers or both is asinine and wrong.

We are all free to judge what this product is worth, and make our decision accordingly. Beamdog are also free to charge what they feel is fair in whatever markets they try and sell it in. As it stands the in app dlc for iPad version is a sensible compromise. People have the full experience at the same price point (which fits closer to what users in that market expect) although PC users get $2 off at, which app store currently don't, thus meaning that it is the PC gamer who ultimately gets the best deal on the full product! In the end it turns out that financially PC users are far from the stupid ones.