Skip to content

Long Save/Load Times

Since Update 7, I've been having a strange problem where any time I save or the game needs to load something, the game locks up for up to ten seconds. Unless I click or press a button during this time it seems to work fine after the lockup is over, but since this affects the intro and "dream" cutscenes and quicksaves it's been kind of annoying. I tried emptying my override folder and restoring backed up (unmodded) versions of base files, but the issue persists.

I'm not sure what's wrong, and I think I may need to make a clean install if there isn't a workaround... it's possible that my backup files were obselete when I replaced the modded base files.

Comments

• Jackkel_DragonJackkel_Dragon Member Posts: 103
    I did a full uninstall/reinstall and the problem persists, though the lockup time seems to be less than it was before...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Do you have a lot of savegames? I think I remember reading that that could cause this.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @TJ_Hooker In my experience, that only happens the first time I hit Load Game, and then it doesn't happen again until I update or restart my computer. This sounds like something else.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    He can have a defect filesystem. He should try a chkdsk and see if it improves speed. I take it he's using the Widnows version. In OSX the procedure would be different.
    I am using the PC version, and I'll run a disk check once I get some time. As for number of save games, I recently dumped all my old save games in a different folder to see if that helped... it didn't. I hope the disk check works better.
    The problem still seems to persist, but after running the disk check the lockup time has been reduced to 2-4 seconds, so at least part of the problem was with my hard drive. At this point, I might have to just endure the lockup... it's at least playable now, I suppose.
    Hmmm you may have a badly fragmented disk. Try running defrag in it as well.
    My defragmentation crashed partway through each time I tried it, but apparently something was fixed because now I'm able to save/load with no noticable lockups. Guess it worked?
    @Jackkel_Dragon Defragmention crashing is not good news. I'd backup all my important data and get ready for a possible hard drive physical failure.
    Yeah.... that might be a good idea. I already have a lot of stuff on an external drive, but it might be time to move the rest...