Skip to content

[Known 2605] Monk's Lay On Hands Can Heal Another Party Member During Sleep

ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
I've observed this with Rasaad, but it will likely affect also a Monk CHARNAME.

Current behaviour:
If all healing spells/abilities have been used, the only exception being Rasaad Lay on Hands, and the party sleeps with at least one party member other than Rasaad injured (it is easier to observe is Rasaad himself is not injured), he/she will be healed by Rasaad's Lay on Hands.

Expected behaviour:
Monks should only heal themselves.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    Registered (this is likely original bg2 problem)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2013
    Observed behaviour: when used manually, Rasaad's "Lay On Hands" innate ability (gained at Level 7) applies only to himself, he can't target it to heal other characters. However, when the party sleeps and healing spells are automatically cast on rest, Rasaad's ability is then used to heal other characters.

Expected behaviour: either Rasaad's ability should be targettable on other characters when you use it manually, or when the party rests it should be used for automatic healing only of himself. I'm not sure which is intended, but it can't be correct that it works one way manually and the other way on rest.

Comment: I think it would make more sense if it worked like the similar "Lay On Hands" ability of Paladins, i.e. targettable on other characters when used manually. But in any case it ought to be consistent.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm 99% sure that the monk's version of Lay on Hands is self-only. So the issue is that he can heal others with it while resting.

Sounds to me like it's an issue with the Heal on Rest function rather than Rasaad's Lay on Hands, since as far as I know there aren't any other heal spells that ONLY target self. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth to fix it, but I'm no developer.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Madhax said:

I'm 99% sure that the monk's version of Lay on Hands is self-only.

If that's the way it's meant to be, then so be it, but in that case the kit description could use some clarification [Summon @Jalily]. At the moment it mentions "Lay On Hands", but doesn't explain that it doesn't mean the same thing as "Lay On Hands" for Paladins ... and in fact, if it's meant to work differently, then it'd be clearer if they gave it a different name from the more well-known (and targettable) Paladin ability.
    Madhax said:

Sounds to me like it's an issue with the Heal on Rest function rather than Rasaad's Lay on Hands, since as far as I know there aren't any other heal spells that ONLY target self. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth to fix it, but I'm no developer.

Yes, thinking about it you're probably right. I guess HealOnRest is simply scanning the party for active healing spells without knowing to make an exception for a Monk's "Lay On Hands" ... and, hmmm, it shouldn't be an exception if the Monk himself needs healing ... so yes, it might be non-trivial to fix. I think the coding solution would be a two-pass scan, first find each Monk in the party and apply his own Lay On Hands to himself if s/he's wounded and hasn't used up his/her innate ability yet, then scan all of the party for other active healing spells and apply them to whoever is wounded. So, I guess it's a matter of defining a new function (MonkHealOnRest), and inserting a call to the new function at the beginning of the existing HealOnRest code. It shouldn't be terribly difficult, but it's not merely a two-minute job. And I'm not sure how the Infinity Engine handles such things, but this may well be a core engine fix rather than just an externalised moddable. Um, yes ... it ought to be fixed but I won't expect a quick result.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I confirm this bug is also still present in v1.3. I'm starting to see a trend here ;-)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Erg‌ in the future, can you post a new thread with a link? Many of these are already in our tracker; they're good to note again, but keeping them where they were originally reported helps keep things organized (which in turn makes the process of fixing things a lot faster).
    Dee said:

in the future, can you post a new thread with a link?

OK, next time I'll do that.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Thanks; I also don't get notifications when threads are moved, only when they're created--so this ensures that the issue's seen more quickly. :)
    @‌Dee, previously I had already moved this thread also.
    @Dee, sorry double post, but for some reasons the notification in my previous post didn't work.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Have added ticket 2605 as reference, although 1477 may also be relevant.
    Thanks