Skip to content

Mods, and overpowered Items

VaxalonVaxalon Member Posts: 25
Right, tried most of the BG mods out there, at some point or other, and come to a sad conclusion.
Don't get me wrong here, Im no programmer and totally respect people putting time and effort into creation.

But why, o why, do they always have to be balance breakers? and following that thought, game breakers?

Now i played BG through again, without mods, and totally enjoyed it, generally speaking at no point did I become so IMBA that I was unkillable! Could not just wade through things like there were not there.

Beautful balancing job, and perhaps the best reason to buy this remake, IMHO.

So heres a challenge modders. Complimentary, well thought out items, that dont break the game balance!

(that being said, you can add a bag of holding whenever you like, and would be welcome to marry my sister if you do so)

Comments

• secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Agreed.

Same goes for mods with new "kits." I like some flavor and alternatives without them becoming easy mode.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I think many mods try to keep the balance and do so fine. (I'm talking BGEE mods)
    The new Kits released by beamdog for example are stronger (in my opinion) than the ones from the BGEE Kitpack.

Till now I only encountered some item mods that are not balanced.

And there are even mods that make the game harder (Stratagems)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Old time mods used to have a lot of problems with powerful itens. The original DSotSC had a vorpal sword and a tome that would double the xp of any single classed mage, for instance.

Most EE mods do not suffer from this problem. Anyway, my view was always that if you find something in a mod you don't like or that you think will ruin you fun just do not use it.

DSotSC is undergoing a major review for BGEE BTW. The original mod author has come out of retirement and you can read more about it here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15223/recruiting-modders-dsotsc-upgrade-project-help-wanted-dialog-interactions-and-romances
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    Yes, indeed. We are really trying to look at balance and have greater depth of story than we were able to have before. We are taking a close look at all items in DSotSC and if it's overpowered we will either revise or remove, whichever makes sense. Hehe... I agree, the vorpal sword in the original was bit over the top. LOL
  • VaxalonVaxalon Member Posts: 25
    Nice to hear positivity on this, a game gets easy, it gets boring IMHO.
    Thinking on this, how to add items that dont overpower, but are truly handy.
    An obvious approach would be moderately unique abilities, hard to say what exactly, without being overpowered. (and which have no already been done, of course)
  • VaxalonVaxalon Member Posts: 25
    oooo just had an idea, DONT think ive seen this done. How about a variety of weps that perfom some kind of minor summoning? Not OP, but..i dunno, an axe of goblin summon?:)
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    You simply don't have to use the mod or refuse to use some items...

It's like you're complaining life's too easy because you have too much money...
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    A lot of the mods that introduce items, in all incarnations of the infinity engine, have introduced unbalanced / overpowered items, spells and abilities. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. A hobbyist isn't necessarily concerned with balance, and even if they are, they might have a different definition than you do.

Some players love it, others spend a long time in a 'curator' role, trying to find a balanced mod. In my experience, it's those players who also care about things like writing and presentation, and in general are more picky about a mod's content.