Skip to content

Do you feel that requests around difficulty are missing?

I'm really surprised by the fact that people are asking for all these trivial stuff,yet no talk about game difficulty, some months ago i made a thread myself with pretty medium success,so:

don't you people want a better and more meaningfull challenge in the combat part of the game?(not just extra monster damage,which can be countered by having multiclass mages tank with stoneskin/mirroirmage etc)

a 'heart of fury' mode would bring up extreme soloing challenge,will make multiplayer much more interesting and will bring veterans back into thinking 'how do i beat this guy'? something all of us old players have missed since anyone who has completed some playthroughs can beat anything the game has to offer

i know there are mods that make the game harder but it's not the same,it doesn't feel the same and it's tottally subjective as mods are the work of a few if not a single person

isn't better ai,more complicated tactics used by enemies,smarter dispel protection,more adds,tougher primary enemies and extra hard optional encounters with new rewards be something to hope for in BG2 EE?

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    While it might be preferable for these things to be provided by the developers and not the modding community, it is a fact that difficulty mods are extremely prevalent and generally well-received already for the BG series. For the developers to commit time towards a "Heart of Fury" mode or similar for BGEE and BG2EE seems like a waste of time and resources to me.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I know you said that you're not interested in mods, but I urge you to at least check out Sword Coast Strategems.

You say that mods are subjective because they're made by only a few/a single person, but it's not like Overhaul is a terribly large group of people either. And I'm guessing mod creators get feedback from users which helps them improve the mod. SCS has been around a while, and likely gone through enough iterations to be considered 'objective'.

I'd prefer if the devs would focus on doing things that are difficult/impossible to do through mods.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    Madhax said:

While it might be preferable for these things to be provided by the developers and not the modding community, it is a fact that difficulty mods are extremely prevalent and generally well-received already for the BG series. For the developers to commit time towards a "Heart of Fury" mode or similar for BGEE and BG2EE seems like a waste of time and resources to me.

waste of resources? isn't it kinda odd that you 'saved' this comment for me from all those bizzare requests about x npc's none of us remembers inventory?

there are 4 things the devs can do(by contract limitations): fix bugs, add side stories,minor cosmetic changes and improve combat/ai

bug fixing goes without saying and combat is the most important change,followed by adding side quests/companions

there are 4 things the devs can do(by contract limitations): fix bugs, add side stories,minor cosmetic changes and improve combat/ai

Where'd you get that list from? Off the top of my head, they can also:
    -Create new areas
    -Add NPCs
    -Add new kits
    -Add new items
    -Make the game more accessible to modders

I think it's a lot easier to simply say what they can't do, namely make any significant changes to existing story/quests/characters, rather than tyring to come up with a list of everything they can do.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Enemy mages need to act like player-controlled mages would. Dispelling buffs, using AOE to punish tight grouping. Enemy thieves need to run away, re-stealth, and backstab clerics and mages. If I can summon endless hordes of War Dogs and Hobgoblins, why can't they?

Mods that allowed me to recuit NPCs earlier have always been of my favourites. Encouraging more creativity and not forcing you to abandon NPCs you've invested quite some time into outweigh the potential powergaming. Summoning ghasts and Dispel Magics as special abilities low-level is very imbalanced, I know.

Baldur's Gate is already a huge game. Adding new items to otherwise bland areas (like the halberd in the Gnoll Stronghold) that fill out the power gaps from the original is the best way to inject creativity into the player base and encourage them to re-explore every nook and cranny. I know I'd be more willing to re-roll an otherwise overlooked character class/combo if it suited a new item.

Here are some ideas:

-Add an Ioun Stone as a reward for defeating the Red Wizards
    -A new Helmet or Belt as a reward for clearing the Basilisk Forest or the Shipwreck
    -Change some of the cursed items in the game into items you may actually consider using. The Vampiric Sword should be something awesome considering what you go through to get it.
    -A magical club that improves spaeshifted forms as a reward for returning a Wyveren head to the Temple
    -Give a magic spear to the Flaming Fist soldier you can kill to save Samuel's life
    -Cleric and/or Druid only wands
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    If you want to increase the challenge there are mods. I would agree on a slightly smarter AI--especially for casters/thieves/archers. Not for every monster in the game--we don't want to have to hunt down kobold archers--but for most of the humanoid encounters.

You can also always play a limited reload or no reload game if you want a challenge. Or no stat reroll on character creation

waste of resources? isn't it kinda odd that you 'saved' this comment for me from all those bizzare requests about x npc's none of us remembers inventory?

bug fixing goes without saying and combat is the most important change,followed by adding side quests/companions

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that my previous Feature Request posts are less important that this? That may be so, but this request seems redundant to me. Mods like Tactics or Sword Coast Strategems already fulfill the "Heart of Fury" niche, and while Overhaul might be able to incorporate such a feature, I don't see why they should allocate their limited resources to such a venture when modders are already all over such a demand.

I'd rather Overhaul devote their limited time and resources to changes that modders can't provide. I've found the new NPCs to be vastly superior to the ones modded into BG and BG2 over the past decade in terms of writing and unique flavor, and additions like the Black Pits aren't something that modders can provide. Demanding that the developers provide us with difficulty enhancements would involve them putting forth many man-hours of testing and programming to accomplish a goal that has already been met by multiple third-parties.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    SCS is the answer to pretty much all requests above.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Didn't they hire the SCS guy to join the team or something? I was hoping that a future patch would implement SCS as a main-game option and had assumed that that was basically in the cards given the SCS hiring.
    Iecerint said:

Didn't they hire the SCS guy to join the team or something?

Well, DavidW has the BGEE Team Member badge, so it looks that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    TJ_Hooker said:

Iecerint said:

Didn't they hire the SCS guy to join the team or something?

Well, DavidW has the BGEE Team Member badge, so it looks that way.
    I'm thinking it's more likely to result in SCS if we talk about it a lot. :]
    Bhaaldog said:

As the linked thread makes clear, Ascension (and discussion about it) is much more like to cause apocalypse than to prevent it.

Enough, I will no longer listen to the babbling of ignorant children!
    To end... like this?
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited March 2013
    This thread doesn't make any sense. So because there is a mod doesn't jusify devs from not making it better in BGEE; don't be ridiculous. There are mods for everything (NPC, AI, Items, shops, quests, even GemRB for other platforms) does it mean that devs should do nothing in those areas?
    Yeah you can even use workarounds to have proper different language (there is still no dubb, there was very big delays of text updates too[it wasn't translators' fall because they updated files on the forum]) but does it mean that everybody should use this bad and not proper solution to get what you expect from the game?
    I don't mean to offend or stand against any mods but don't be silly when somebody asks for feature so that means only that the main game is lacking of proper AI and everybody would agree with it (You also agree with this sentence since you use SCS). And I can think about SCS as a workaround of the problem not a solution. It would be nice if they would invent their own AI system rather than implement SCS, but surely it will never happen, and implementing SCS is still only a possibility. Pretty sad story.

Edit: I had to correct my mistakes.
    Post edited by Grieg on
    Grieg said:

This thread doesn't make any sense because there is a mod doesn't jusify devs from making it better in BGEE don't be ridiculous. There is mods for everything (NPC, AI, Items, shops, quests, even GemRB for other platforms) does it mean that devs should do nothing in those areas?
    Yeah you can even use workarounds to have proper different language (there is still no dubb, there was very big delays of text updates too) but does it mean that everybody should use this bad and not proper solution to get what you expect from the game?
    I don't mean to offend or stand against any mods but don't be silly when somebody asks for feature so that means only that the main game is lacking of proper AI and everybody would agree with it (You also agree with this sentence since you use SCS). And I can think about SCS as a workaround of the problem not a solution. It would be nice if they would invent their own AI system rather than implement SCS, but surely it will never happen, and implementing SCS is still only a possibility. Pretty sad story.

thx buddy, i was starting to worry about why what i consider common sense is not so popular in here....at least now we're 2.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Bhaaldog said:

thx buddy, i was starting to worry about why what i consider common sense is not so popular in here....at least now we're 2.

I tend to agree with you, although from my experience on this forum there is a small contingent of individuals who will refuse any idea someone puts forward (accept their own ideas of course) and usually pull out the "use a mod argument" all of the time. Such behaviour is to be anticipated of course and not beyond a measure of control.
    Agreed. Though what I really can't get my mind around, after several months of mainly lurking on the forums, is why people are so afraid of new things (or old mods) being included in this enhanced edition? If they don't like it the original game is still out there!

Also for those complaining about the difficulty level of the mods in question: I have rarely heard someone complain that a game was too hard to beat. Generally people just apply themselves more and appreciate the challenge. I have however heard countless of complaints from people saying games were too easy and they just breezed right through.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013
    Stickan said:

Agreed. Though what I really can't get my mind around, after several months of mainly lurking on the forums, is why people are so afraid of new things (or old mods) being included in this enhanced edition? If they don't like it the original game is still out there!

Also for those complaining about the difficulty level of the mods in question: I have rarely heard someone complain that a game was too hard to beat. Generally people just apply themselves more and appreciate the challenge. I have however heard countless of complaints from people saying games were too easy and they just breezed right through.

It's not gonna happen, but let assume "ad absurdum" that the devs will decide to include SCS in BGEE. Do you realise that SCS is a collection of components and people that like and use SCS more often than not prefer to install only some of these components? What do you think should be included? The whole mod or just some components? If the latter, which ones?

It is much better if it stays as mod, because that way everyone can choose exactly what to install. You can also add/remove components for different playthrough or even choose another mod.

How that's not better? Why some people are so afraid of mods?

Edit: I'm not afraid of new things, I just believe that these new things would be more flexible if implemented as mods.
    edited March 2013
    Grieg said:

This thread doesn't make any sense. So because there is a mod doesn't jusify devs from not making it better in BGEE; don't be ridiculous. There are mods for everything (NPC, AI, Items, shops, quests, even GemRB for other platforms) does it mean that devs should do nothing in those areas?
    Yeah you can even use workarounds to have proper different language (there is still no dubb, there was very big delays of text updates too[it wasn't translators' fall because they updated files on the forum]) but does it mean that everybody should use this bad and not proper solution to get what you expect from the game?
    I don't mean to offend or stand against any mods but don't be silly when somebody asks for feature so that means only that the main game is lacking of proper AI and everybody would agree with it (You also agree with this sentence since you use SCS). And I can think about SCS as a workaround of the problem not a solution. ****It would be nice if they would invent their own AI system rather than implement SCS****, but surely it will never happen, and implementing SCS is still only a possibility. Pretty sad story.

Edit: I had to correct my mistakes.

(emphasis mine)

Sounds like a tall order to me.

I'm not scared of change, and in a perfect world I'd love this request. But my primary want for Overhaul is for them to add new content to an already fantastic game and for the enhanced editions of that game to be more easily used than the originals.

If they have the time and the resources for this sort of thing, I'll completely change my answer. If a developer appears in this thread and mentions that they're thinking about this or have already begun it, I'll be excited. But I doubt that will happen, for two reasons, the first being that it sounds very difficult to do.

The second reason is that mods already fill this niche. And before you reiterate that "there are mods for everything", let me follow up with the fact that mods vary WILDLY in quality. Check out the massive hate threads for NPC mods like Saerileth or Chloe, and think about how lucky we are that we get Dorn instead. But SCS is extremely well-received, so why fix what isn't broken?

edited March 2013
    just to clarify i have nothing against mods and i do believe that SCS is a great mod

but mods and core game improvements are something different,mods are meant to add flavour to the game improvements are features that are simply superb to what we had before (if implementing SCS is the way too go i have no objection as long as it works smoothly and the devs make sure it will come timely)

currently the game ai is not that much of an opponent for anyone who has played his share of RPG's
    and neither is difficulty for it's simply not difficult you just have to use the right spell at the right opponent, and like this any fight is trivialised (for instance Mind Flayers can be extremely diffucult unless you summon a couple of mordenkaiken's swords to cut the in pieces,while your party sits backs and watches,for beholders you pick shield of balduran and let them kill themselves,for vampires you just need a character immunue to level drain,for liches(demi or not) usually a spell immunity does the trick etc,
    you get the idea

all these stuff were very interesting to think at first( i was pretty satisfied when i thought that these floating swords have no mind to affect) but now this excitement of discovery is gone and the fights are trivial if you know the tricks,playing sucky characters on purpose(such as the roll 75 challegne) or imposing other self-made restrictions is not the satisfiction someone who wants to combine RP and powergaming elements is looking for(for instance i will always built my fighter properly but i would never pick a half-orc), also soloing is not fun,why? cause i like my party and that's why i'm asking for a better challenge and i would appreciate if this was without having to w8 for mods to reach their final version or worry about their compatability and when finally bg2 ee comes out guess what? wait again some months for the tactics mod to be implemented in EE

also all those lovely additions to the game(items,NPCs,quests) make the vanilla game even easier
    having Baeloth and Dorn are simply op in bg standards,also we find too many magical items now,for instance in the vanilla game only one of our fighters had the +1hit +2 damage gloves,now all of them do,
    also we now have kits and some of them are too strong in BG

some extra difficulty is due at least to compensate for all the new toys and companions and XP we get

ps: if ai is that hard to implement then there is a simpler solution, increase number of nameless mobs in most fights,increase HP of 'bosses',give powerfull casters level 10 spells
    Erg said:

Stickan said:

It's not gonna happen, but let assume "ad absurdum" that the devs will decide to include SCS in BGEE. Do you realise that SCS is a collection of components and people that like and use SCS more often than not prefer to install only some of these components? What do you think should be included? The whole mod or just some components? If the latter, which ones?

It is much better if it stays as mod, because that way everyone can choose exactly what to install. You can also add/remove components for different playthrough or even choose another mod.

How that's not better? Why some people are so afraid of mods?

Edit: I'm not afraid of new things, I just believe that these new things would be more flexible if implemented as mods.
    First, thanks for the civil answer!

Secondly, I never spoke specificly about SCS in any way, although the discussion was leaning in that direction. I was speaking in favor of a general AI improvement, and to improvements of the game in general. SCS could be one way to go, or just something to have in mind or do something else entirely. Either way I do believe an AI upgrade would benefit everyone. You could still change difficulties.

Thirdly to adress your counter of people being afraid of mods: I believe that a game, and especially a good game such as Baldur's gate, should feel complete on its own without relying heavily on third party content. The third parties in this case being people lovingly creating something for free in their spare time, which we are all grateful for don't get me wrong. But they are a) slower, b) in no way obliged to keep their mods up to date and c) more inclined to mess up your game than something created by the devs. If the devs create something, we can be fairly sure it's compatible with the rest of the content. Something we can never know with mods.

Lastly: most users don't want the inconvenience of messing about with mods if they can help it. They want to push the launch button and sit down and enjoy the magic. Not to spend their evenings installing and uninstalling things in the right orders to make it work. But they do still want new and improved content with the EE.

I am not saying mods shouldn't exist. But I think genuine improvements to the engine, game mechanics and UI etc should be dev territory. Mods should be for flavour such as additional romances, custom npcs, kits etc.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. And I am not flawless either :)
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    @subtledoctor If there would be a choice with only 2 answers: AI is good/bad you would say bad because if SCS is better BG-AI is worse (much I would say). So you are silent vote-"yes I, subtledoctor, want better AI" but you didn't realize it yet:) (or realized & don't want to submit it)

Just as I said earlier, I would like to have newly invented better than original BG AI-system.
    How it would be implemented is totally different case, it can be SCS* or it can be fresh new Artificial Intelligence that rule them all - it is decision up to somebody else.

I have a dream that one day enemies will be the challenge and much better than SCS. I would like to encourage others to freely express their opinion!

Post Scriptum I also use mods but as bill_zagoudis and Stickan mentioned already mods are totally different case
    Post Post Scriptum I never said SCS is bad and don't believe those who say otherwise!
    @Stickan

Respectfully I disagree. You may find below my comments to your previous post.
    Stickan said:

I never spoke specificly about SCS in any way, although the discussion was leaning in that direction. I was speaking in favor of a general AI improvement, and to improvements of the game in general. SCS could be one way to go, or just something to have in mind or do something else entirely. Either way I do believe an AI upgrade would benefit everyone. You could still change difficulties.

I wouldn't be against that in principle. The most important aspect for me is to be able to freely choose how to play the game, i.e whether vanilla (for people that like the game exactly as it is and as it was for the last 15 years) or modified in several ways. Whether this is achieved through mods or in-game option settings, it doesn't really matter to me. However, I still believe mods could provide more variety than any implementation of the in-game difficulty setting.
    Stickan said:

I believe that a game, and especially a good game such as Baldur's gate, should feel complete on its own without relying heavily on third party content.

I believe that the game as it is now already provides a very good base on which we can build using mods. Yes there are still few things that can be improved and cannot be modded, but difficulty it isn't IMHO one of them.
    Stickan said:

The third parties in this case being people lovingly creating something for free in their spare time, which we are all grateful for don't get me wrong. But they are a) slower, b) in no way obliged to keep their mods up to date and c) more inclined to mess up your game than something created by the devs. If the devs create something, we can be fairly sure it's compatible with the rest of the content. Something we can never know with mods.

I can assure you that a well designed WeiDU mod has a lower chance of causing problems than the standard BGEE version updates. Of course, there may be bad mods out there too, but it's not like the devs never make mistakes. Tethtoril, I'm talking to you :)

What really matters is that changes are implemented through well written code, it doesn't matters if the author is a modder or a developer. Besides, now most of the devs are modders and vice versa.
    Stickan said:

most users don't want the inconvenience of messing about with mods if they can help it. They want to push the launch button and sit down and enjoy the magic. Not to spend their evenings installing and uninstalling things in the right orders to make it work. But they do still want new and improved content with the EE.

Did you ever installed a WeiDU mod? It takes few seconds at most and the mods or their individual components can be easily switched on/off at any moment. You should really try, if you didn't already.

Granted for iPad users (and in lesser extent for Mac users too) it may be a bit more complicated, but things are progressing fast and this is likely bound to change soon.
    Stickan said:

I am not saying mods shouldn't exist. But I think genuine improvements to the engine, game mechanics and UI etc should be dev territory. Mods should be for flavour such as additional romances, custom npcs, kits etc.

I agree with you only on the engine part. For game mechanics my previous comments on difficulty also apply. That UI can be and should be improved also by mods has been brilliantly demonstrated by @Archaic and his excellent mod.
    @Erg I think I can agree with you on some of your points. But I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some.

I have played BG vanilla since it's release, in various states and in the BGT format and have made use of many different, and brilliant, mods (UB, Ascension, Tweakpacks, SCS, additional NPCs etc etc). I'm just saying that I think you'll find that the average user doesn't do that, and as such might miss out on a lot of what the game means to people who take certain mods for granted when playing the game.

I disagree with the opinion that people playing BG EE should have the possibility of playing the game just like it was in Vanilla BG (Vanilla BG is still out there for those who want it untouched, but of course not for all platforms), that is not the point of making an enhanced edition.
    edited March 2013
    Stickan said:

@Erg I think I can agree with you on some of your points. But I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some.

I have played BG vanilla since it's release, in various states and in the BGT format and have made use of many different, and brilliant, mods (UB, Ascension, Tweakpacks, SCS, additional NPCs etc etc). I'm just saying that I think you'll find that the average user doesn't do that, and as such might miss out on a lot of what the game means to people who take certain mods for granted when playing the game.

I disagree with the opinion that people playing BG EE should have the possibility of playing the game just like it was in Vanilla BG (Vanilla BG is still out there for those who want it untouched, but of course not for all platforms), that is not the point of making an enhanced edition.

@Stickan

To clarify, when I said that BG should not be changed (if not through mods), I meant gameplay and content.

Of course, I'm OK with enhancements concerning engine code optimization and increased compatibility with modern Operative Systems and new Screen Resolutions.

Last but not least, BGEE is already easier to mod than vanilla BG. What the devs should really be doing IMHO, is making BGEE even easier to mod (e.g. removing hard coded restrictions, etc.).
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I think new AI would be great, personally. I know there's many, many people out there like myself who played this game as kids, or early teenagers ( I myself, 14 in 2001 ). It was hard then because we were kids and kinda' stupid. Factor in the fact that the game was still 'newish', and we didn't know as much about the game as we do now after a couple of dozen play throughs as the years have rolled by. The AI as it is ( I'm assuming, as I won't have a comp to play BG:EE until next week ) now that those like myself, have grown-up is horrible. Enemy Mages acting like 'tanks', NPCs using ranged weapons while a Fighter is humping his leg etc.

I was going to type a book, but I'll spare you all. Basically, I'm for increased AI built into the game. Most of the people here are probably long-time fans, or above the age of 14. We've all beaten this game to death with and without mods. Tutu and vanilla. SCS and Tactics. A new challenge in an enhanced version of the game is perfectly reasonable, I think.