Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Simply beautiful @Archaic, no other words man.
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    It's going to be like playing a whole new game :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Archaic Thanks for calling me for the tests :). I did some quick testing yesterday both in Windows and Mac versions. So far no crashing and that what I was looking for yesterday.

For the Mac users out there, I'll post some screenshots of the GUI in the Mac version later :)
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    mod looks absolutely beautiful. great work, very excited!
  • Aliard1806Aliard1806 Member Posts: 144
    you are simply the best :D
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I've just finished reading from the start the 46 pages of this discussion and I would like to extend my congratulations to @Archaic for his outstanding work.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    If you don't release the BETA 6 I will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqC_m3yUDU !!!
    Some Mac Screenshots as promissed :)

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited March 2013
    LOL, @SpaceInvader, we're testing just now, just a little patience...;P

The savegame selection screen is just perfect but with Italian translation the time count string comes a little longer.
    The same in the inventory screen, with the string describing Edwin's reaction at removing his amulet.
    I've sent you a link with all the screens, @Archaic. :)
    I'm sure that with little modifications even longer text strings will fit! :)

@mlnevese: Can you post a screen of the inventory screen, after touching Boo? I haven't Minsc in party right now and I just want to see if the text string occupies the whole space or not, to compare with Italian. :)
    Post edited by Metalloman on
    @Metalloman And here comes Boo :)

Also I noticed that if you press any interface button while you have other screen open, such as inventory, for instance, the borders go through the top window. I didn't test this in windows yet. But it's probably an engine bug, not one from the mod.
    Thanks, @mlnevese! Yes, I think that even Boo warning will come out the borders, as the string will go on two lines, as the Edwin's amulet one.
    edited March 2013
    Here's the link to some pic I've done:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ww9l8zkavko0ym/L1S0qp-2qq

- I've done screens 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 to let @Archaic see how same text strings in different languages could be of different lenghts: As I've said those screens needs only little adjustations and they're done!

(As I've said For sure the same issue should occurs with the Boo Warning string and the Xan's Moonblade Warning string in the Inventory, when you touch them: If you want to check in game, @Archaic, I just let you know that an incomplete version of the Italian language was put in the game with the last patch, so you can choose Italian to do your checks - is the button between French and Polish - maybe it could be of some help for you, as Italian language has the longest phrases in most cases.)

- Screen 5 is about the Select Connection menu in the multiplayer section and needs a little working. :)

- I've done screen 6 and 8 as I think the words "known" and "memorised" need to be a little more highlighted, for the rest, I like those screens really much!

- Screens 9 and 10 are in the link only because I've asked a question to Archaic about the design, but they look good for me, :)

Aside that, I can say that the mod runs smoothly, without crashes nor graphic glitches, I run it with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 and looks really good, even if Archaic hasn't worked for that resolution (I hope he will do in the next future), the design fits really well with the game atmosphere, enhancing and adding more grace to it.

For me, this mod is a MUST HAVE and if Archaic will do those little improvement to let longer text strings to fit it would be just perfect, I wonder if the devs would hire this guy and implement this GUI mod as the standard BG:EE design, one day..:)

• ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    I'm working to fix all of these issues. Thanks for all of the awesome feedback. I'm glad I decided to do the testing. I think it will help the public BETA release to be much more polished.
    I'm glad too, @Archaic: We're doing the same thing with the Italian translation, we're doing an intensive beta testing to give an almost perfect translation to the Italian people, at least 99,99% (XP)!
    The Italian Team decided to wait to officially release the translation, so they can give the most polite version they can, once, and to give the better game experience possible, as you want to do. :)

Keep on!
    @Erg - I appreciate your comments. Glad to have you on board and all caught up. Please feel free to voice your opinion. Thanks.

@SpaceInvader - Nice, lol.
    Later but better, would say Minsc (and boots, justice, sword and Boo, too)!! ;)
  • ertertwertertertwert Member Posts: 4
    Archaic said:

Please try to keep in mind that I am only one person. Designing and implement an entire GUI into a game is a very long process. Beamdog has an entire team to do this including beta testers and so on. I understand that everyone is anxious for the BETA 6.0 release. I cannot give you a definite release date at this time because there are just so many things that continue to come up. I can say that I'm working hard to get the best quality release of Archaic GUI out as soon as possible.

Thanks for the support!

Don't kill yourself in the process.
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    Please, take your time, do not rush and don't feel obligated if you need a break. Walk away for a bit to refocus is always acceptable! We would hate to lose you to burn out! We've all waited years for BG to gte updated, we can wait a little longer for a new GUI. :)
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    edited March 2013
    edit: found alt-imoen portrait now
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/199275/#Comment_199275

what a great asset you are to the bg community - please dont burn out though :D!
    Post edited by kungfuhobbit on
    edited March 2013
    Fixing up some of the bugs reported by the beta testers and finishing up the record screens. Then onto the store/inn screens which is going to be a big project.
    Great, @Archaic! :D
  • Hi. I only recently bought Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, and I was looking to improve the UI and was directed here. Sadly though the brown on brown on brown color of this one is even less appealing than the default one to me.
    Is there a better or more colorful mod available? A lot of work must have gone in to this, but for me it looks awful, although it does have many fans are there plans to make it more fantasy like and less brown? Or is there a mod elsewhere that would be more to my liking?
  • Sorry. I didnt mean the mod or your work was awful, only I find the color unappealing to look at. I am sorry I didnt think too hard before typing.
    I've looked at the Beta 6 pictures and they too are just too monochrome for my tastes. I like the layout and you have obviously spent a lot of time making them. Thanks for your hard work, I just dont think this is for me. When I Think Baldur's Gate I think High Fantasy and I dont feel that with your mod. That isnt to say it is not good work, just not what I envisioned and not what I was looking for.

I was hoping that there was a mod that had a High Fantasy feel to it. More in tune with the color scheme of that Elven top picture thingy.
This discussion has been closed.