Skip to content

Custom portraits?

2»

Comments

• FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2013
    what the heck, some how i missed the doc folder. Thanks it works!
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Newbie notices something dangerous..sort of in portraits..be careful on how dark the armour/items are if you make a new one to add. When first creating character I picked the new one with black veil, armor (female). And I couldn't see the 'blood' bar till it reached her neck! :) I changed portraits then. :D
  • ViccoVicco Member Posts: 12
    Good advice from @starlilly. Had a similar experience. Got a picture from a movie where the bottom 3rd part was also darl. You can lose a lot of health without knowing
  • missilemissile Member Posts: 2
    So can this be done with the App store version of BGEE? I tried creating a Documents/Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition/Portraits folder, but I couldn't get the thing to work.
  • missilemissile Member Posts: 2
    I figured it out. The App Store version buries its data in:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/

from there, you add a Portraits directory, then proceed as normal.
    yzaneRyshard
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    For the Beamdog version of BGEE - where should I place the portait folder and what sizes should the pictures be in?
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

To overwrite original portraits:

Go to Applications > Baldur's Gate > Game Data > 00777. Then right-click on Baldur's Gate and go to 'Show package Contents'. Then > Content > Resources and the override folder should be there.

Otherwise (to add portraits for the 'custom' button), do to Documents > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Create a 'Portraits' folder (I think) and put them there.

This should work.

I have a folder called Portatis there so something must be wrong.

For the Beamdog version of BGEE - where should I place the portait folder and what sizes should the pictures be in?
  • yzaneyzane Member Posts: 20
    @SamuelVarg what @missile said
    missile said:

I figured it out. The App Store version buries its data in:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/

from there, you add a Portraits directory, then proceed as normal.

• Paul4AllSeasonsPaul4AllSeasons Member Posts: 5
    @Eudaemonium Okay, I see where the override folder is. Do i make my "Portraits" folder IN the "override" folder? for some reason I can't get the "custom" option to show up in character creation. I've got BG:EE Mac Version purchased through Beamdog. (not that App Store)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Paul4AllSeasons I believe you just put the images in the override directory 'loose' as it were (not in a folder, though I am not sure if having them in a folder woudl stop them working, likely not). I just checked my setup and I actually have them all in a 'portraits' folder in 'Documents > Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition', which seems to have the same effect, so you should do that. I also have the Beamdog Mac version, so that should work for you and I find it far easier.
    @eudaemonium hey, that did work. the portraits show up but the sizes all seem off. I'm using photoshop to edit them but I'm saving them as .bmp do you know what my dimensions should be? maybe I have the resolution off?
    @eudaemonium nevermind, it looks off in the character creating but just fine in game! Thanks a ton for the help!
    Eudaemonium
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

Most of the filenames are just the characters' names. There are a few that aren't, which I can only assume are the result of slight name changes during original development (Montaro(n), and Sharte(e)l, for example).

More like any game file name must not be longer than 8 characters ~.o
    CrevsDaak
  • g4b4sg4b4s Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm new at the forum and an old PC player of BG. I have this new BG:EE in my Mac but i can't find the "Documents > Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" you are talking about, i mean there is no Baldur's Gate folder at my Documents folder.

Any help, please? I'm from Spain, apologize me for my English.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @g4b4s - Did you purchase the game from the Mac App Store?

The Beamdog installer creates a link to the folder "\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\" in your Documents folder. I don't think that the Mac App Store version makes this shortcut for you.

In Finder, click on the "Go" menu on the menubar. With the menu displayed, press and hold the "option" key. And entry for "Library" should appear on menu. Select that entry and a Finder window should pop up. Navigate to 'Containers -> com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition -> Data -> Documents'

Now, right click on 'Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition' and select "Make alias". You can now drag the created link to your Documents folder.
  • MrsMimeMrsMime Member Posts: 1
    Please, please help! Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to do this. I just can't get custom portraits to work at all. I'm on a Mac.

For some reason, Hexxat didn't change her picture from the "fake" one to the actual one after her big reveal in the tomb. She has the same picture as she did all along, and it's the same one as my character – which is very annoying. I've since changed my character's, but it's driving me absolutely nuts. I want her real picture, darn it!

I've done literally every single option of replacing the portraits that I could think of or could find online. I've tried both the "show package contents" route (where I do not have an override folder or portraits folder at all, and when I create either there and fill them with the requisite files nothing happens) and the "container" route via OS X's Library. I've made the files the appropriate sizes, converted them properly to .bmp, and named them with the appropriate codes (OHHEXXM.bmp, etc.) to no avail. I've even tried manually replacing the portrait files in my save files with the correct image. Nothing.

Can anybody offer any suggestions? I like Haxxet, but I'm going to have to just dump her ASAP if I can't get this fixed, because it's really bugging me.

Thanks so much to anybody who can offer any advice. I'll be eternally grateful if I can figure this out.