Skip to content

Killing Marek and Lothander before that damn quest

I just noticed some interesting things in Marek and Lothander quest.
The quest begins in the market area only if you met them in area AR0300 before. Here you can kill both and block that damn quest. If you kill only one of them the quest is broken too, but you will lose the magical items of the survivor. If you attack Marek before his dialogue he turns hostile and you can defeat him withe ease. Lothander will remain there neutral and than you can kill him too. If you attack (and kill) Lothander Marek will go on with his dialogue and I don't know if there will be future problems/bugs.

Comments

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The quest gives you the opportunity to claim one of the Tomes of Wisdom. Not too shabby, I think.
  • griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    @Calmar I can still steal it! :D
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Jared4242 said:

So while walking through Baldur's Gate, you decide to murder some random people on the street, just in case they make you have a very long and exciting quest.

You are a bhaal spawn. You can't resist your urges all the time.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Killing lothander there will kill you in 20 days. Don't bother with bugreports then :D
    Can I CLUA the antidote or I have to reload? @Avenger_teambg
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Can I CLUA the antidote or I have to reload? @Avenger_teambg

SetGlobal("sprite_is_deadlothander","global",0) and pay another $20 :P
    I just tried it (Not the Set Global, but to sleep for 20 days). My party will not die because I killed Marek before his dialogue :D In any case, thanks! @Avenger_teambg
  • pcmodempcmodem Member Posts: 16
    Have done this successfully twice, killed Marek and Lothander with ranged weapons and spells in BG before they had a chance to walk all the way up and initiate their dialogue sequence.

Yes, you miss out on earning experience from Lothander's quest, but this way you instantly get the very useful magic items carried by both. Note that I did this with a good party and suffered no loss of reputation!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Calmar said:

The quest gives you the opportunity to claim one of the Tomes of Wisdom. Not too shabby, I think.

Actually you can claim both tomes quite easily. All you have to do is kill Umberlee's priestesses. And that is ultimately what you are going to do anyway if you want to rescue the dead boy.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Calmar said:

Actually you can claim both tomes quite easily. All you have to do is kill Umberlee's priestesses. And that is ultimately what you are going to do anyway if you want to rescue the dead boy.

Nope. If you are civil with her (and give her a bribe) she will give you the boy without a fight.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    So, I can ether give away a ton of money or get a Tome of Wisdom. Sorry, evil priestesses loose...
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 55
    There's talk about getting the tome of wisdom - forgive me if I'm wrong here, but surely the tome is in the posession of the morninglords until you get it off them for the quest. Could one not simply steal it off them regardless of your decisions concerning the temple of Umberlee?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I think i would prefer Tome of wisdom and 10000 xp. That is the biggest xp reward in the game for quest if I remember right, except maybe TOTSC quests.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    I just encountered a conundrum with this quest - I'd already initiated it, had used all of the tomes of wisdom already, but didn't want to kill the high priestess as my charname is a fan of Umberlee.

Turns out you can pickpocket her for the geass scroll with 100+ in the skill :)